Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Had to 'Unretire'
to Pay Rent. The
Kids Stepped In
Feb 23, 2023 8:44 AM CST
School Janitor Had to 'Unretire' to Pay Rent. The Kids Stepped In
Nearly $180K had been raised as of Thursday for 'Mr. James,' who was forced to return to work at 80
- A GoFundMe that popped up last week features the rather ominous title "Getting Mr. James out of this school." It's not an attempt to see a teacher or staff member fired, however—instead, it's an effort by high school students in North Texas to help their...
Herschel Walker Tries to Flip
Badge Brouhaha in His Favor
Oct 18, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Herschel Walker Tries to Flip Badge Brouhaha in His Favor
Campaign of GOP Senate candidate from Ga. has ordered 1K plastic badges to use as fundraising tool
- By now, many of us have seen the moment when Herschel Walker whipped out an honorary deputy sheriff's badge during his debate Friday with Raphael Warnock as they both vie for a seat in the US Senate out of Georgia. Walker took heat from one of the moderators for...
Bullied by Gaetz, Teen Raises
$115K for a 'Cause He Hates'
Jul 27, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
Bullied by Gaetz, Teen Raises $115K for a 'Cause He Hates'
Olivia Julianna, 19, says money will be split between abortion funds
- A teen activist who received hateful messages after Rep. Matt Gaetz shared a photo of her online says she won the " rumble " in the end. Olivia Julianna, a 19-year-old political strategist with Gen-Z for Change who uses her first and middle names, says she raised roughly $115,000...
GoFundMe Sets Up
Hub to Keep Scammers
From Uvalde Tragedy
May 25, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
GoFundMe Sets Up Hub to Keep Scammers From Uvalde Tragedy
Crowdfunding platform has verified fundraisers; blood donations, legal services also needed for Texas victims
- Wanting to help victims and their families after a tragic event is a natural impulse, but avoiding scammers is key to making sure your money gets into the right hands. After Tuesday's mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, in which 19 children and two adults were...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
Mar 18, 2022 11:34 AM CDT
Latest Lego Action Figure Is Familiar Face
Thanks to Chicago novelty shop, Ukrainian leader Zelensky is Lego-fied, complete with Molotov cocktails
- A shop in Chicago that specializes in custom Lego pieces is making headlines with some new inventory that's raising cash to help a war-torn nation. Vice reports that the Windy City's Citizen Brick—a storefront that "started with a very dumb dream" to create unique Lego minifigures...
Kylie Jenner's Plea for Pal's
GoFundMe Doesn't Go Over Well
Mar 22, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kylie Jenner's Plea for Pal's GoFundMe Doesn't Go Over Well
People wonder why someone worth $900M asking people not worth $900M to help makeup artist
- Remember when it was determined that Kylie Jenner's worth was somewhere close to $900 million ? The internet does, which is why the 23-year-old media personality is now catching heat for a public plea she made on behalf of a friend. Per
, Jenner posted an Instagram story...
You Can Be Part of
Unusual 'Token of
Appreciation' for Trump
Dec 9, 2020 9:39 AM CST
You Can Be Part of Unusual 'Token of Appreciation' for Trump
Real estate agency is crowdfunding $3M to 'give' president's childhood home in Queens to him
- Supporters of President Trump looking for a way to show their appreciation now have their chance, though they'll have to open up their wallets to do it. In what the
New York Times
deems as an "unusual real estate maneuver," the current owner of Trump's childhood...
Got the Money
to Win Races
Nov 9, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Abrams: We've Got the Money to Win Races in Georgia
Fate of the Senate may come down to state's 2 runoff elections in January
- Stacey Abrams has been winning widespread praise among Democrats after the race in Georgia was called in Joe Biden's favor, even if victory won't be certain until a recount takes place . Now the former gubernatorial candidate is in the spotlight again as she leads Democratic fundraising efforts for...
Her 10-Year-Old Was Pulled
Out to Sea. Kevin Saved the Day
Nov 2, 2020 11:53 AM CST
Her 10-Year-Old Was Pulled Out to Sea. Kevin Saved the Day
Texas mom raises nearly $25K for wedding of man who rescued her daughter from riptide in Calif.
- Kevin Cozzi was in the right place at the right time—and a Texas mom now wants to reward him for it. Per KXXV and KFSN , Samantha Whiting was at a beach in Monterey, Calif., on Aug. 15 with her children on their last day of vacation when she saw...
Lindsey Graham's Been
Pleading for Cash. It's Paid Off
Oct 23, 2020 11:54 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham's Been Pleading for Cash. It's Paid Off
GOP senator from SC raised $1M or so a day for first 2 weeks in October
- Lindsey Graham has continued to rake in campaign cash in the closing days of his bid for a fourth term, raising about $1 million a day for the first two weeks of October. Early Friday, Graham's campaign said it had raised nearly $15 million in the first half of...
For Trump Campaign,
a Surprising 'Cash Crunch'
Sep 8, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
For Trump Campaign, a Surprising 'Cash Crunch'
President weighs putting $100M of his own money into the race, per Bloomberg
- Candidate Trump spent $66 million of his own money on the 2016 campaign. President Trump might make the unusual move of pouring even more of his own money into the 2020 race, reports Bloomberg . Trump is considering a personal outlay of up to $100 million, an unprecedented expense for an...
Biden Sees Another
Edge in 'Highly Unusual'
Jul 2, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Biden Sees Another Edge in 'Highly Unusual' Fundraising Season
Former VP brings in $10M more than Trump in June, $16M more in 2nd quarter
- In May, Joe Biden brought in $7 million more than President Trump in fundraising cash. In June, the former VP continued that streak, and then some. Per the Hill , Biden's team announced Wednesday it had, in conjunction with the DNC and its shared fundraising committees, brought in $10 million...
Trump Raised $74M in May.
Biden Raced Past That
Jun 20, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Trump Raised $74M in May. Biden Raced Past That
Despite ex-VP's $81M haul, president still has sizable advantage in cash on hand
- President Trump was outraised by Joe Biden in May, taking in $74 million for his reelection, but he maintains a sizable advantage in cash on hand over the presumptive Democratic nominee. The pro-Trump effort, which includes fundraising by the Republican National Committee, on Saturday reported its total days after Biden...
Is the 'Hero
May 12, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Guy Fieri Is the 'Hero We Need'
Writing for BuzzFeed, Scaachi Koul goes to bat for the often-maligned celebrity chef
- Guy Fieri has somehow morphed into a scapegoat of sorts over the years: The affable celebrity chef has been the butt of existential jokes , the recipient of bad restaurant reviews , and the subject of some odd headlines . But we've got the 52-year-old foodie all wrong, writes Scaachi Koul for...
In Graham's Re-Election
Bid, a Fundraising Surprise
Apr 16, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
In Graham's Re-Election Bid, a Fundraising Surprise
Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison outraises the South Carolina incumbent
- Lindsey Graham raised an impressive $5.6 million for his re-election campaign in the first three months of the year, behind only fellow Sens. Mitch McConnell and Martha McSally. But in a surprise, Graham's Democratic challenger in South Carolina raised even more—$7.3 million, reports the
Attending Trump's Saturday
Fundraiser Will Really Cost You
Feb 14, 2020 6:25 AM CST
Attending Trump's Saturday Fundraiser Will Really Cost You
Entry fee for new Trump fundraiser this weekend: $580K per couple
- President Trump has been to nearly 50 "intimate gatherings" with top-level GOP donors over the past two-plus years, per estimates by the
—but his latest will be his steepest of those fundraisers so far. Billionaire Nelson Peltz is the host, Peltz's estate in Palm Beach,...
She Wanted to
Fire Victims. Out
Came the Nudes
Jan 6, 2020 10:00 AM CST
She Wanted to Help Australia's Fire Victims. Out Came the Nudes
'Naked Philanthropist' Kaylen Ward says she's brought in $700K, but the initiative has its downside
- The "Naked Philanthropist" will be sending out a lot of nude photos after she says she raised $700,000 for victims of Australia's bushfires. Los Angeles model Kaylen Ward urged Twitter followers Friday to donate to groups such as the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Victoria Country...
Bernie Sanders Smokes
Rivals on Fundraising
Jan 2, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Bernie Sanders Smokes Rivals on Fundraising
He pulls in $34.5M in 4th quarter, far more than anyone else
- Bernie Sanders just had the best fundraising quarter of any Democratic candidate in 2019: He pulled in $34.5 million in the final three months of the year, reports NBC News . The big number, raised mainly through small donations online, might deliver a "financial jolt" in the Democratic race...
Reporter Who Covered
Fundraising Star? Out of a Job
Sep 27, 2019 12:33 PM CDT
Reporter Who Covered Fundraising Star? Out of a Job
Aaron Calvin is 'no longer' with the Des Moines Register, editor writes
Des Moines Register
reporter who exposed a viral star's old, racist tweets—but who turned out to have ugly tweets of his own—will need to find a new job, KCCI reports. Details are unclear, but the paper's editor writes that he is "no longer with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
Angry Elephants Damage Car That Hit a Calf
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.