Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Shows Up in a Most
Dec 1, 2023 7:29 AM CST
Dave Chappelle Shows Up in a Most Unexpected Place
Comedian is spotted on Capitol Hill in selfie with GOP congresswomen, including Lauren Boebert
- Dave Chappelle had a couple of appearances in DC planned for this week, including an "Arts as Activism" event at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts, the comedian's alma mater, as well as a show at Capital One Arena on Thursday. The Hill reports that the 50-year-old...
Judge Calls Capitol Rioter's
Nov 22, 2023 8:35 AM CST
Judge Calls Capitol Rioter's Defense 'Gobbledygook,' Jury Convicts
Washington state's Taylor James Johnatakis, 39, found guilty of 3 felonies, 4 misdemeanors
- Those who traveled to Washington, DC, to participate in what became the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol arrived from all over the country. On Tuesday, Washington state saw one of its own earn a conviction, with a federal jury finding 39-year-old Taylor James Johnatakis of Kingston guilty of...
Jan. 6 Footage
Nov 18, 2023 9:30 AM CST
House Speaker Starts Releasing Jan. 6 Footage
Mike Johnson says he'll eventually post 44K hours' worth of video from the attack on US Capitol
- House Speaker Mike Johnson said Friday he plans to publicly release thousands of hours of footage from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, making good on a promise he made to far-right members of his party when he was campaigning for the job. "This decision will...
Capitol Police: 'Bogus Call'
Aug 2, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Capitol Police: 'Bogus Call' Caused Lockdown
'We got nobody who actually heard shots and certainly no victims'
This story has been updated with new developments
. Authorities issued a shelter-in-place order and searched Senate office buildings near the US Capitol Wednesday afternoon after a report of an active shooter. The US Capitol Police announced on the X social media platform that the security response was prompted by a...
Man Who Threw
Fire Extinguisher at
Jan. 6 Cops Sentenced
Apr 12, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Man Who Threw Fire Extinguisher at Jan. 6 Cops Sentenced
Robert Sanford gets 4 years
- The retired Pennsylvania firefighter who struck two police officers in the head with a fire extinguisher during the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot was on Tuesday sentenced to four years behind bars, the AP reports. A fire extinguisher is “an instrument that he was uniquely familiar with and should...
President Biden Fires
Architect of the Capitol
Feb 13, 2023 2:59 PM CST
President Biden Fires Architect of the Capitol
Brett Blanton was accused of numerous violations
- President Joe Biden has fired the embattled Architect of the Capitol, Brett Blanton, following a scathing inspector general report on his personal and professional management and calls for his removal. The White House said Monday that Blanton’s appointment was terminated. It comes as House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said Monday...
Jan 28, 2023 2:25 PM CST
Charges Against Ashli Babbitt's Mother Are Dropped
Police said Micki Witthoeft wouldn't heed orders during protest on riot's 2-year anniversary
- Prosecutors have decided not to pursue a conviction of Micki Witthoeft, whose daughter was killed in the attack on the US Capitol. Ashli Babbitt's mother was arrested this month near the building on the two-year anniversary of the Jan. 6 insurrection and charged with traffic violations in connection with...
GOPers Cheer Removal
of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM CST
GOPers Cheer Removal of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Republicans remove controversial metal detectors outside of House chamber put in place after Jan. 6
- Little else is getting done as Republicans hash out who's going to be the next speaker of the House, but one order of business important to the GOP did take place Tuesday: The metal detectors outside of the chamber, installed at the order of then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi after the...
This Bust Is About to
Get Booted From US Capitol
Dec 15, 2022 7:45 AM CST
This Bust Is About to Get Booted From US Capitol
House passes legislation to remove head of SCOTUS justice who wrote Dred Scott ruling
- The House passed legislation Wednesday that calls for removing from the Capitol a bust of the US Supreme Court justice who wrote the infamous 1857 Dred Scott decision that held African Americans weren't citizens. The bust of Roger B. Taney, the nation's fifth chief justice, sits inside the...
Woman Accused of
Stealing Pelosi's Laptop
Convicted on 6 Counts
Nov 22, 2022 1:55 AM CST
Woman Accused of Stealing Pelosi's Laptop Convicted on 6 Counts
Though not, however, the one involving the laptop
- A Pennsylvania woman linked to the far-right “Groyper” movement was convicted Monday of several federal charges after prosecutors said she was part of a group that stormed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, the AP reports. Riley June Williams...
New Truman Statue in Capitol
Shows a President in a Hurry
Sep 29, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
New Truman Statue in Capitol Shows a President in a Hurry
Speakers praise 33rd president at unveiling of bronze likeness in Rotunda
- President Harry Truman seemed to always be on the move, but then, he had a lot to do. World War II ended on his watch, and Truman helped create the United Nations and NATO, desegregated the Armed Forces and the federal workforce, conferred US recognition upon Israel, and worked to...
Amid 100 Statues
at Capitol, She's
the 11th Woman
Jul 28, 2022 9:36 AM CDT
Amid 100 Statues at Capitol, She's the 11th Woman
Statue of Kansas-born aviator Amelia Earhart unveiled at US Capitol's Statuary Hall
- A statue of Amelia Earhart—the famed aviator who became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1932—was unveiled at the US Capitol on Wednesday, where it will serve as "an inspiration for all," said Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly. The 7-foot-tall bronze statue is...
Ex-State Lawmaker Who
Stormed Capitol Sentenced
Jun 22, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Ex-State Lawmaker Who Stormed Capitol Sentenced
Derrick Evans of West Virginia 'egged people on,' judge said
: A former West Virginia lawmaker who joined the mob storming the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021—and consequently served only a few days in office—has been sentenced to three months in jail. Derrick Evans will also spend 36 months on supervised release and will have to pay fines,...
by Capitol Cops
Jun 18, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Colbert Producers, Puppet Arrested by Capitol Cops
Robert Smigel, voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog puppet, said to be among the 7 detained
- It's been some time since Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has made headlines, but he's now back in the spotlight. The AP reports that seven staffers from Stephen Colbert's
were arrested on Capitol Hill Thursday night, and among those detained, per a list seen by...
Blame for Capitol
to FAA So Far
Apr 21, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Blame for Capitol Evacuation Falls to FAA So Far
Pelosi criticizes agency while lauding quick thinking of Capitol Police
: No one accepted responsibility Thursday for the breakdown that led to an evacuation of the US Capitol as a small plane headed to a parachute demonstration the night before, but fingers were being pointed. The Army said it notified the FAA of its flight, but Capitol Police officials said...
Apr 6, 2022 4:08 PM CDT
Fox Euthanized After Allegedly Biting Congressman
DC authorities say animal bit 9 people and is being tested for rabies
- Sad news from the Washington, DC Department of Health: A fox suspected of biting numerous people on the grounds of the Capitol has been euthanized. The mother fox was captured Tuesday , hours after Capitol Police warned that there had been reports of encounters with an "aggressive" fox. DC Health...
'Aggressive' Fox Captured
on Capitol Grounds
Apr 5, 2022 6:29 PM CDT
'Aggressive' Fox Captured on Capitol Grounds
Rep. Ami Bera was among at least 6 people bitten or nipped in recent days
- An aggressive fox that had apparently been attacking people on the grounds of the Capitol is now in custody, police say. Capitol Police said Tuesday that they had received reports of "individuals being attacked or bitten by a fox" and there are "possibly several fox dens on Capitol...
Capitol Fencing Is Going Up
for State of the Union Address
Feb 27, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Capitol Fencing Is Going Up for State of the Union Address
Washington prepares for truck convoys to disrupt traffic
- Fencing that circled the US Capitol for months after the January 2021 insurrection will be put back up before President Biden's State of the Union address on Tuesday, as concern grows about potential demonstrations or truck convoys snarling traffic in the nation's capital. Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger...
Rioter Who Wore
Shirt Pleads Guilty
Jan 27, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Rioter Who Wore 'Camp Auschwitz' Shirt Pleads Guilty
Virginia man Robert Packer could get up to 6 months
: A Virginia man who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 last year wearing a "Camp Auschwitz" shirt has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of "parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building" and will face a maximum sentence of six months when he is sentenced in...
10 House Lawmakers Recount
the Fear of Jan. 6 Riot
Jan 6, 2022 9:15 AM CST
10 House Lawmakers Recount the Fear of Jan. 6 Riot
"I really thought ... 'We're going to die here'"
- Around three dozen Democrats were trapped in the House gallery on Jan. 6, 2020, after the rest of their colleagues had been evacuated, ducking beneath their seats as supporters of then-President Trump laid siege. In interviews with the AP , 10 of the lawmakers who were there described their experiences in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.