Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NJ's Ban on
Now the Last
of Its Kind
Jun 28, 2023 3:11 PM CDT
NJ's Ban on Self-Serve Gas Now the Last of Its Kind
Some want to see it fall, just like Oregon's
- New Jersey is about to be the only state in the country where you're not allowed to pump your own gas. Last week, Oregon's Senate voted 16-9 to overturn a ban on self-serve gas that's been in place since 1951. As Quartz reports, half of the state'...
'Medical Freedom' Law
May 12, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
Critics Slam DeSantis' New 'Medical Freedom' Law
Florida bill allows doctors, insurers to refuse services based on religious, moral, ethical beliefs
- On Thursday, Ron DeSantis signed what his office is touting as "the strongest legislation in the nation for medical freedom," with four separate bills that the Republican governor says offer "expanded protections [that] will help ensure that medical authoritarianism does not take root in Florida." One...
Dogs Here May Soon See
Big Changes to Their Car Rides
Feb 22, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Dogs Here May Soon See Big Changes to Their Car Rides
New Florida bill would ban pups sticking their heads out windows of moving cars, sitting in driver's lap
- When dogs go for car rides, many of them use the time to "drive and chill," sticking their heads out the window to catch the cool breeze as their human cruises along the thoroughfare. In Florida, however, that kind of carefree canine behavior may soon be coming to...
His Own Fox Bite Inspires
Congressman to Pen New Bill
Sep 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
His Own Fox Bite Inspires Congressman to Pen New Bill
Rep. Ami Bera wants to make vaccine less expensive for uninsured Americans
- According to government estimates, as many as 60,000 Americans need a rabies vaccine each year. Democratic California Rep. Ami Bera was one of them. Bera was one of numerous people who suffered a fox bite on Capitol Hill in April. A fox was captured and euthanized after testing positive...
Rules Boss Cuts
Aug 6, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Rules Boss Cuts Bill's Penalties for Drugmakers
Senate parliamentarian keeps much of Democrats' economic package intact
- The Senate parliamentarian on Saturday dealt a blow to Democrats' plan for curbing drug prices but left the rest of their sprawling economic bill largely intact. Party leaders prepared for first votes on a package containing many of President Biden's top domestic goals, the AP reports. Elizabeth MacDonough, the...
Push to Legalize
Pot at Federal Level
Jul 14, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
Top Democrats Push to Legalize Pot at Federal Level
They're calling for an end to prohibition
- Top Senate Democrats have unveiled draft legislation to legalize marijuana, remove federal penalties, and erase nonviolent federal cannabis-related criminal records. The proposal from Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden, and Sen. Cory Booker, dubbed the Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act, would remove marijiuana, now fully...
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Vote Establishes Commission on Slavery Reparations
House Judiciary Committee advances bill HR 40
- A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation, per the AP . Still, prospects for final passage...
'About Bloody Time:' Scotland
Announces a Bold First
Nov 25, 2020 6:37 AM CST
'About Bloody Time:' Scotland Announces a Bold First
Country is first to make period products free for all in move to end 'period poverty'
- The struggle to find and buy menstrual products is over for women and girls in Scotland. On Tuesday, the country became the first to approve legislation to provide free and universal access to menstrual products in public facilities, following a four-year campaign. It involved ushering menstruation into public discourse and...
Trump: 25th Amendment
Ploy Is About Biden, Not Me
Oct 9, 2020 12:07 PM CDT
Trump: 25th Amendment Ploy Is About Biden, Not Me
President accuses Pelosi of plotting to replace Biden with Kamala Harris
- House Democrats followed through on their promise to raise the profile of the 25th Amendment on Friday, introducing legislation that would create a 17-member panel to judge a president's fitness for the job. Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, a former professor of constitutional law, reintroduced a version of the...
Deputy Actions at Kobe Bryant
Crash Scene Will Be Illegal
Sep 29, 2020 12:22 PM CDT
Deputy Actions at Kobe Bryant Crash Scene Will Be Illegal
Law bans unauthorized photos of accident or crime scenes
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva's wish has come true . Beginning Jan. 1, it will be illegal in California to take unauthorized photos of a crime or accident scene, as occurred in the aftermath of the Jan. 26 helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and...
Trump Doubles Down on Base
Renaming With New Threat
Jul 1, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Trump Doubles Down on Base Renaming With New Threat
'I will Veto' $740B annual defense bill if Elizabeth Warren-proposed amendment is included
- An amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act regarding the renaming of US military bases paying tribute to Confederate leaders has already been approved in a voice vote by the Senate's Armed Services Committee. But President Trump has just made clear he doesn't intend to let it get...
Aug 1, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
Hard-Won Budget, Debt Deal Clears the Senate
The drama-free solution involved compromise on both sides
- A hard-won budget and debt deal easily cleared the Senate on Thursday, powered by President Trump's endorsement and a bipartisan drive to cement recent spending increases for the Pentagon and domestic agencies, the AP reports. The legislation passed by a 67-28 vote as Trump and his GOP allies relied...
Scott Walker Stuns With
His Version of Venn Diagram
Dec 15, 2018 4:35 PM CST
Scott Walker Stuns With His Version of Venn Diagram
Wisconsin's governor made the Venn diagram 'particularly useless'
- To no one's surprise, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed legislation Friday limiting the power of Gov-elect Tony Evers. But he did throw the world a curveball by explaining the new law with a uniquely reimagined Venn diagram, per the
. At a Green Bay news conference, Walker displayed...
Trump Trade Legislation Has
Unfortunate Acronym: FART
Jul 2, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Trump Trade Legislation Has Unfortunate Acronym: FART
Critics pounce on the FART Act, which would give president broad new powers
- President Trump is no fan of the World Trade Organization, and Axios reports that he ordered his advisers to work up a bill that would give him broad power to circumvent WTO rules and negotiate his own deals. The story by Jonathan Swan uses the words "insane" and "...
House Takes Aim
at US Opioid
Jun 23, 2018 2:40 PM CDT
House Takes Aim at US Opioid Addiction
New legislation encourages states to expand treatment through Medicaid
- The House has overwhelmingly approved legislation designed to give health-care providers more tools to stem an opioid crisis that is killing more than 115 people in the United States daily, the AP reports. The legislation passed Friday by a vote of 396-14. It incorporates dozens of opioid-related bills that lawmakers...
Craigslist's 'Regretful' Move
Has It Axing Big Part of Site
Mar 23, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
Craigslist's 'Regretful' Move Has It Axing Big Part of Site
Site takes down its personal ads section to avoid liability for prostitution promotions
- Everyone who has visited Craigslist over the years to find a mate or gawk at the "Missed Connections," "Casual Encounters," and "Rants and Raves" sections is going to have to find a new gathering ground. CNET reports the online classified-ads site has shuttered its much-frequented...
May Soon Have to
Mar 22, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Tenn. Schools May Soon Have to Show 'Cornerstone of Freedom'
Bill to prominently display national motto of 'In God We Trust' now on Gov. Haslam's desk
- It's up to Bill Haslam now whether one of America's most famous mottos ends up prominently displayed in his state's schools. The
reports a bill is headed toward the Tennessee governor's desk to call for the conspicuous display in schools of the "In God...
IMDb May Not Be Able to Tell
You Every Actor's Age Anymore
Sep 26, 2016 8:52 AM CDT
IMDb May Not Be Able to Tell You Every Actor's Age Anymore
Thanks to a new California law
- It's one thing if the world knows that Brad Pitt is 52; people know just about everything else that's going on in his life. But for the thousands of lesser-known working actors constantly on the prowl for gigs, age discrimination is a real (if illegal) problem. So on...
9/11 Bill to Let
Sep 9, 2016 12:03 PM CDT
House Passes 9/11 Bill to Let Victims' Families Sue Saudis
But veto is possible from Obama, who fears law could backfire
- Approval of a bipartisan bill that would allow families of Sept. 11 victims to sue the government of Saudi Arabia puts Congress on a collision course with President Obama on the eve of the 15th anniversary of the attacks. Per the AP , the House passed the legislation Friday by voice...
Pull a Swatting Prank,
Spend 2 Decades
in Jail? Maybe
Apr 29, 2016 12:49 PM CDT
Pull a Swatting Prank, Spend 2 Decades in Jail? Maybe
The bill just passed a committee vote
- It's a "potentially lethal" prank that could soon be attached to some pretty serious legal consequences. The
reports a bill that would make the penalty for swatting—calling in false threats to prompt an armed law enforcement response on unsuspecting victims—up to 20 years in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.