Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Father Attacks Meta
After Girl's Death
Sep 30, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
Molly Russell, 14, was shown harmful content she didn't seek
- After an inquest found Friday that material on social media contributed to a London 14-year-old's death while self-harming, her father accused Meta of sending Molly Russell down a "demented trail of life-sucking content" for profit. The coroner said the sites' algorithms delivered harmful content to the teenager that...
Twitter Bows to Long-Sought
Request: an Edit Button
Sep 1, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Twitter Bows to Long-Sought Request: an Edit Button
But it will only be available to subscribers upon wider launch
- It's a major move for Twitter: The platform is finally caving to long-standing pleas from users and adding an edit button. As the
New York Times
snarks, it "has only been about 15 years, nine months, and 22 days since they started asking for that ability." Most...
Jonah Hill Won't
Be Out Promoting
His New Film
Aug 22, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
Jonah Hill Won't Be Out Promoting His New Film
'Superbad' actor is latest star to step back from social media for his mental health
- Tom Holland isn't the only celebrity of late to ditch social media he finds "overwhelming."
Wolf of Wall Street
actor Jonah Hill deleted his Instagram last week, around the same time he announced he's been suffering from anxiety attacks for almost two decades and...
Actor Taking Break From
'Overwhelming' Social Media
Aug 15, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Actor Taking Break From 'Overwhelming' Social Media
Tom Holland of 'Spider-Man' fame says he needs the hiatus for his mental health
- Even superheroes get anxious from social media. Just ask
star Tom Holland, who announced over the weekend that he's been taking a break from social media to protect his mental health.
notes that the 26-year-old UK actor has deleted his Instagram in the past, but this time...
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have
Everyone Doing a Double Take
Aug 12, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have Everyone Doing a Double Take
Motley Crue drummer's full-frontal pic fires up debate over why it was able to stay on platform for so long
- If you missed Tommy Lee's full-frontal display on social media earlier this week, no worries—he's now sharing a painting of the photo instead. Meanwhile, some are wondering why Lee's original nude pic was able to stay up online for as long as it did in the...
Youth-Led Movement Says It's
Time for Teens to Log Off
Jun 26, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Youth-Led Movement Says It's Time for Teens to Log Off
Advocates also want lawmakers to help protect users' well-being
- Emma Lembke joined Instagram when she was 12. Before long, she was spending six hours a day "mindlessly scrolling" and "absorbing all these unrealistic body images," she told the
New York Times
in a recent interview. Eating disorders and other problems soon followed, but she couldn’t...
Silent Comedian Is
Now TikTok's Biggest Star
Jun 25, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Silent Comedian Is Now TikTok's Biggest Star
Former factory worker Khaby Lame is now TikTok's Biggest Star
- A century after Charlie Chaplin's heyday, another man with a gift for silent comedy has become a worldwide star. Khaby Lame, who began making videos when he was laid off from his factory job in Italy early in the pandemic, is now the most-followed person on the most downloaded...
Australian to America:
You Need to Be Muted
in case you missed it
Jun 19, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Australian to America: You Need to Be Muted
Patrick Marlborough unloads in Gawker
- Unhappy with the current state of discourse on social media? You're probably not as fed up as Australian Patrick Marlborough, who unloads on American tweeters (and America in general) in a profane and epic rant at Gawker . He recounts how the story of a guy who abruptly quit his...
It's the 2nd Time Britney
Spears Has Done This
Jun 18, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
It's the 2nd Time Britney Spears Has Done This
Star's Instagram account has vanished again amid renewed drama with her father
- On Friday, reports emerged that Britney Spears' father wants her to defend under oath the accusations she's been hurling at him on social media, with a request to a judge that Spears give a deposition. Now it appears the 40-year-old pop star may have vanished some of those posts,...
on Depp: 'He's a
Jun 13, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Amber Heard on Depp: 'He's a Fantastic Actor'
Says she understands why jurors believed him, and that she was unfairly represented on social media
- The trial may be over , but the conversation around Amber Heard and Johnny Depp isn't. While Depp, 59, marked the end of this particular legal battle with his ex-wife by joining TikTok last week, the 36-year-old Heard hasn't said much in the aftermath, other than her statement immediately...
Sandberg's Exit Comes Under
Shadow of Company Probe
Jun 3, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
Sandberg's Exit Comes Under Shadow of Company Probe
As Meta looks into alleged misuse of company resources, others debate her legacy
- As the dust starts to settle on the Wednesday announcement of Sheryl Sandberg's farewell as chief operating officer of Facebook, now known as Meta, the inevitable "But why, really?" is being bandied about. Sandberg, 52, will remain on the company's board of directors and has said she'...
Kyle Rittenhouse Says
He's 'Fueled' by Depp Trial
Jun 3, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Kyle Rittenhouse Says He's 'Fueled' by Depp Trial
He's hired Nick Sandmann's lawyer to handle defamation suits
- While the two cases are very different—Johnny Depp didn't kill anybody, for a start—the Depp defamation trial has apparently inspired Kyle Rittenhouse to step up his own legal efforts. "Johnny Depp trial is just fueling me, you can fight back against the lies in the media,...
Texas Social Media Law
May 31, 2022 5:42 PM CDT
SCOTUS Blocks Texas Social Media Law
HB20 bans social media censorship based on political views
- The Supreme Court voted 5-4 to temporarily block a controversial Texas social media law Tuesday—but the court didn't split along its usual lines. The law, HB20, bans social media companies with more than 50 million users from banning users based on their political views, the Hill reports. It...
to Social Media:
Apr 29, 2022 11:19 AM CDT
Trump Returns to Social Media: 'I'M BACK'
Former president posts to Truth Social, not Twitter
- Donald Trump returned to the world of social media on Thursday via a post to his own Truth Social platform. "I’M BACK! #COVFEFE," Trump wrote in the post, which was accompanied by an image of him in front of his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, reports Fox News...
Obama: Tech Firms
Humanity's Worst Impulses'
Apr 22, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Obama: Tech Firms Are 'Turbo-Charging Humanity's Worst Impulses'
He says changes need to be made to protect democracy
- Barack Obama acknowledged in a speech Thursday that he might never have become president without the efforts of volunteers who organized on "websites like MySpace, Meetup, and Facebook"—but he warned that tech companies are failing to address the darker side of social media. In a keynote speech...
Ukraine IDs Russian Bodies,
Contacts Soldiers' Mothers
Apr 15, 2022 3:36 PM CDT
Ukraine IDs Russian Bodies, Contacts Soldiers' Mothers
Women back home are receiving photos of their sons' bodies, and critics say it's cruel
- Throughout the war, Ukraine has spoken directly to the mothers of Russian soldiers. A month ago, defense officials told the women they could travel to Kyiv to collect their POW sons . Last week, per
the Wall Street Journal
, President Volodymyr Zelensky told the women that Russian troops killed civilians in...
Wisconsin Mom Sues Meta
Over Teen Son's Suicide
Apr 12, 2022 4:03 PM CDT
Wisconsin Mom Sues Meta Over Teen Son's Suicide
He 'became addicted to defendants’ social media product' lawsuit states
- A Wisconsin mother whose son took his own life in 2014 says he was a normal, sports-loving teen until he got sucked into social media. Donna Dawley on Monday filed a lawsuit against Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta, alleging that the company deliberately designed algorithms that made the platforms...
Reports: Execs Abandoning
Trump's Truth Social App
Apr 4, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Reports: Execs Abandoning Trump's Truth Social App
Reuters says chief technology officer has joined the exodus from project
- Another big setback for Donald Trump's troubled Truth Social app: Sources tell Reuters that two senior execs, including one considered the "brains" behind the technology, have resigned from the venture. Chief technology officer Josh Adams and product development chief Billy Boozer have quit, and if "Josh has...
In Russia, It's
Mar 30, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
In Russia, It's Goodbye Instagram, Hello 'Sadgram'
Black-and-white social media alternative asks users for gloomy photos
- Criticizing the invasion of Ukraine, or even calling it a war instead of a "special military operation," is a crime in Russia, but citizens are still allowed to express their sadness. With Instagram now banned in the country, alternatives are sprouting up, including "Grustnogram," which translates...
I Might Create
a Social Media
Mar 27, 2022 8:34 AM CDT
Elon Musk: I Might Create a Social Media Platform
He is conducting a poll on Twitter related to the idea
- Does the world need another social media platform? Elon Musk says he's giving "serious thought" to the idea of creating one, reports Bloomberg . As part of the notion, Musk is conducting a poll on Twitter that asks: “Free speech is essential to a functioning democracy. Do you...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.