Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Flight Attendant Recorded
Girl, 14, in Bathroom: Family
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 23, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Flight Attendant Recorded Girl, 14, in Bathroom: Family
Police removed flight attendant from American Airlines flight on Sept. 2; FBI investigating
- The family of a 14-year-old girl who allegedly discovered an iPhone taped to the back of a toilet seat on a recent flight from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Boston said they believe she was targeted by a member of the crew, per the AP . During American Airlines Flight 1441 on...
Man ID'd by
Jan. 6 Online
Sep 10, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Man ID'd by Jan. 6 Online Investigators
Gregory Mijares, who wore a gas mask, admitted fighting police at Capitol, affidavit says
- An Indiana man who law enforcement officials say helped spark some of the worst violence to take place at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, has been arrested almost two years after online sleuths determined his identity and tipped off the FBI. Court records show Gregory Mijares, 41, was arrested...
FBI Renews Its Hunt for
'Wisconsin's State Ghost'
Sep 6, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
FBI Renews Its Hunt for 'Wisconsin's State Ghost'
It releases photos of Leo Burt that have been aged 50 years
- Leo Burt was 22 when he was suspected of helping to commit the largest act of domestic terrorism at the time: bombing a mathematics center at the University of Wisconsin. The Aug. 24, 1970, attack, thought to be in protest of the Vietnam War, killed 33-year-old physics researcher Robert Fassnacht...
Man Accused of
Tries to Escape: Cops
Aug 28, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Man Accused of Abducting Woman Tries to Escape: Cops
Negasi Zuberi, 29, now faces new charges
- The man accused of abducting a woman and holding her captive in a makeshift cell apparently doesn't like the view from inside his own jail cell. Negasi Zuberi, 29, who is being held in Oregon's Jackson County Jail on a federal interstate kidnapping charge, now also faces charges...
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire
During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Aug 25, 2023 10:18 AM CDT
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Officers are all on administrative leave following Wednesday's drama, which left a suspect dead
- At least 75 police officers have been placed on leave following a shootout with a man in Pittsburgh who allegedly fired on officers serving an eviction notice. The man died of a gunshot wound Wednesday following a 6.5-hour standoff, but not before hundreds if not thousands of bullets were...
Ahead of His Sentencing,
Proud Boy Goes Missing
Aug 19, 2023 7:02 AM CDT
Ahead of His Sentencing, Proud Boy Goes Missing
Christopher Worrell faced 14 years in prison, now has warrant out for his arrest
- A Florida Proud Boy convicted of seven counts in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot was to be sentenced in federal court on Friday, but it appears that Christopher Worrell had better plans. As NBC News reports, Worrell is missing and now has his very own wanted poster courtesy of the...
Ex-FBI Official Pleads Guilty
in Russian Oligarch Case
Aug 15, 2023 3:09 PM CDT
Ex-FBI Official Pleads Guilty in Russian Oligarch Case
Charles McGonigal says he's 'deeply remorseful'
- A former high-ranking FBI counterintelligence official pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiring to violate sanctions on Russia by going to work, after he retired, for an oligarch he once investigated. Appearing before a federal judge in New York City, Charles McGonigal, 55, said he was "deeply remorseful" for work he...
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker
Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
Aug 15, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
17-year-old nabbed in Philadelphia was allegedly testing devices, communicating with terrorists
- A 17-year-old "aspiring terrorist" is facing multiple state felony charges in Pennsylvania after he was found to be communicating with a foreign terrorist group while building a weapon of mass destruction, officials said Monday. At a press conference, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said the unnamed teen "was...
Man Accused of
Shot by FBI Agents
Aug 9, 2023 3:04 PM CDT
Man Accused of Threatening Biden Shot by FBI Agents
Agency says man was killed when agents tried to serve warrants at Utah home
- A Utah man accused of threatening President Biden and other officials was shot and killed by FBI agents hours before the president was due to arrive in the state Wednesday. Officials said the man was killed at his Provo home around 6:15am local time after "special agents attempted...
'Sticky Note Bandit'
Strikes a 4th Time in 2 Weeks
Jul 19, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
'Sticky Note Bandit' Strikes a 4th Time in 2 Weeks
Houston suspect left latest bank robbery without cash, police say
- The FBI says the "Sticky Note Bandit" attempted his fourth bank robbery Tuesday, but he didn't get away with any cash. Police say the suspect walked into a Bank of America branch in Houston and, as in other robberies, handed a teller a sticky note with a threatening...
Wray Defends 'the Real FBI'
Jul 12, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Wray Defends 'the Real FBI'
House Republicans accuse director of weaponizing agency,
- Director Chris Wray defended what he called the "real FBI" during a contentious congressional hearing Wednesday, rejecting a list of grievances from angry Republicans who are threatening to defund some operations and claiming the Justice Department is unfair to political conservatives, including Donald Trump. Wray, who testified for nearly...
100 Letters With
Suspicious Powder Sent
to State Lawmakers
Jun 19, 2023 2:38 PM CDT
100 Letters With Suspicious Powder Sent to State Lawmakers
Letters tested negative for common toxins investigators in Kansas say
- About 100 letters containing suspicious white powder have been sent to lawmakers and other public officials across Kansas, officials said. No injuries have been reported, according to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation. It had counted more than 30 letters as of late Friday afternoon and increased the tally to 100...
Guy Who Rigged Home With
Booby Traps Guilty of Felony
Jun 7, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
Guy Who Rigged Home With Booby Traps Guilty of Felony
An FBI agent was shot in the leg by a booby-trapped wheelchair
- An Oregon man who rigged a home with booby traps—including one inspired by the giant rolling boulder in
Raiders of the Lost Ark
—has been found guilty of charges including assaulting a federal officer and could face up to 20 years in prison. Prosecutors said Gregory Lee Rodvelt, 71,...
Robert Hanssen, Spy
for Russia, Dies in Prison
Jun 5, 2023 4:14 PM CDT
Robert Hanssen, Spy for Russia, Dies in Prison
FBI agent sold US secrets for years for $1.4M
- Robert Hanssen, the notorious FBI agent who sold national security secrets to Russia for years—making dead drops in a Virginia park—in one of the most harmful espionage cases in US history, died Monday in a Colorado prison. He was found unresponsive in his cell, the Federal Bureau of...
Feds Say Attorney
Was Boston Serial Rapist
May 31, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
Feds Say Attorney Was Boston Serial Rapist
Matthew Nilo allegedly attacked four women in 2007, 2008
- A 35-year-old New Jersey-based attorney's alleged past caught up with him on Tuesday afternoon when he was arrested in connection with a series of sex attacks in Boston in 2007 and 2008, the FBI's Boston office says. Matthew J. Nilo, a former Boston resident, has been charged with...
Journo at Center
of FBI Search
on Fox Leak
May 26, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Ex-Deadspin Journo at Center of FBI Search on Fox Leak
Per 'Tampa Bay Times,' agency searched home of Timothy Burke earlier this month in criminal probe
- In October, Kanye West sat down for a two-part interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson, when the latter was still part of the network's prime-time lineup. Just days later, Vice's Motherboard published unseen clips from that interview, with even more eyebrow-raising snippets from the rapper, including antisemitic tropes...
FBI Releases Files on
Threat to Assassinate Queen
May 26, 2023 7:11 AM CDT
FBI Releases Files on Threat to Assassinate Queen
San Francisco man allegedly wanted revenge for daughter's death in Northern Ireland
- The FBI has released some of its files on Queen Elizabeth II's travels to the US—including details of an alleged assassination plot during her 1983 visit. The files state that the FBI received a call from a man who said someone he knew from an Irish club frequented...
FBI Misused Database
to Search Protesters, Donors
May 19, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
FBI Misused Database to Search Protesters, Donors
Agency says it was a misunderstanding after FISA criticism
- The FBI could pay a price for misusing a digital surveillance tool—after employing it against crime victims, protesters, and even donors to a congressional candidate. The agency has acknowledged the problem and attributed it to a misunderstanding over guidance from Justice Department lawyers, the
reports. The issue...
Trump Reacts to Critical
Report on FBI: 'Scammed'
May 16, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Trump Reacts to Critical Report on FBI: 'Scammed'
Former president slams 'treasonous charade' after special counsel faults Russia probe
- The report didn't go as far as he hoped, but former President Trump is still looking to quickly capitalize on withering new criticism of the FBI's investigation of him. "I, and much more importantly, the American public have been victims of this long-running and treasonous charade started...
May 15, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Durham Report Slams FBI's Trump Probe
Special counsel cites confirmation bias among the flaws
- Special counsel John Durham issued his final report Monday after a four-year review of the FBI's investigation into possible connections between Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russian efforts to affect the election. The conclusions included sharp criticism of the FBI for relying on "raw, unanalyzed, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.