Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the most recent news stories about domestic violence and abuse on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Prosecutors Say NBA Star
Fractured Girlfriend's Vertebra
Sep 12, 2023 6:11 PM CDT
Prosecutors Say NBA Star Fractured Girlfriend's Vertebra
Kevin Porter Jr. charged with assault, strangulation
- Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. choked his girlfriend with such force in a New York City hotel room early Monday that he fractured one of the vertebrae in her neck, prosecutors said at a hearing Tuesday. Porter, 23, pleaded not guilty to felony assault and strangulation. He was released...
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On
2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Jul 1, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On 2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Justices agree to review whether government can bar domestic abusers from having guns
- The Supreme Court wrapped up its latest term this week with high-profile rulings involving affirmative action , LGBTQ+ and religious rights , and student loan debt , and now it's looking ahead to its next roster of cases, including one that's sure to draw the attention of both gun safety and...
A Rising Hollywood Star
Is Arrested in NYC
Mar 26, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
A Rising Hollywood Star Is Arrested in NYC
Jonathan Majors of 'Creed III' denies wrongdoing after domestic violence charges
- Jonathan Majors, described by the Hollywood Reporter as "one of the more in-demand actors working today," has been arrested in New York City after what the police describe as a "domestic dispute." The 33-year-old
co-star was charged Saturday with strangulation, assault, and harassment, per...
Rick and Morty
Says Charges Were 'False'
Mar 23, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Rick and Morty
Co-Creator Says Charges Were 'False'
DA's office says domestic violence charges were dropped due to 'insufficient evidence'
- The Orange County District Attorney's Office says it has dropped felony domestic violence charges against
Rick and Morty
co-creator Justin Roiland after deciding it couldn't prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. The decision was made "as a result of having insufficient evidence," Kimberly Edds, a...
Adult Swim Dumps
Rick and Morty
Jan 25, 2023 7:25 AM CST
Adult Swim Dumps
Rick and Morty
Channel acts after domestic violence charges emerge against Justin Roiland, show's co-creator
- Justin Roiland is out at
Rick and Morty
. Deadline reports that the Adult Swim channel cut ties with the show's 42-year-old co-creator and executive producer, who also voiced both main characters, after domestic violence charges from 2020 came to light earlier this month. "Adult Swim has ended its...
They Called Her 'Law Library.'
She Never Went to Law School
Jan 14, 2023 9:30 AM CST
They Called Her 'Law Library.' She Never Went to Law School
How Kelly Harnett helped free others, and then herself
- "She's a superb legal mind," an attorney says of Kelly Harnett. That's not thanks to any law school. Hartnett earned the nicknames "Law Library" and "Esquire" while incarcerated at the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility in Westchester, New York. In 2015 she began serving 17...
Mother of Uvalde Killer Charged
in Domestic Violence Case
Jan 6, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Mother of Uvalde Killer Charged in Domestic Violence Case
Adriana Martinez Reyes jailed in Oklahoma
- The mother of the gunman who killed 21 people in the Uvalde, Texas, school massacre in May has been arrested in a domestic violence case, Oklahoma City police said. Officers were called to a home Wednesday morning, where a man told them that Adriana Martinez Reyes had threatened to kill...
Texas Basketball Coach
Charged With Domestic Assault
Dec 12, 2022 4:25 PM CST
Texas Basketball Coach Charged With Domestic Assault
Chris Beard's lawyer calls arrest 'truly inconceivable'
- University of Texas men's basketball head coach Chris Beard was arrested and taken to jail early Monday after a report of a domestic assault. The Travis County Sheriff's Office says the 49-year-old was charged with assault on a family or household member/impeding breath circulation, the Athletic reports. A...
Police Find Missing California
Mom's Body, Announce Arrest
Nov 14, 2022 1:38 PM CST
Police Find Missing California Mom's Body, Announce Arrest
Rachel Castillo, a mother with two young sons, was missing for three days
- Police in the small southern California city of Simi Valley delivered grim news Monday to family and friends of Rachel Castillo, a 25-year-old mother of two who went missing last week. Per
Castillo’s sister called 911 last Thursday after finding signs of a struggle in the apartment that...
Google Searches Did Her In
Nov 4, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Killer's Jarring Google Searches Did Her In
One example in Australian case: 'Killing someone with axe what part of body to go for'
- A 34-year-old Australian woman is going to prison for 27 years for murdering her partner with an axe. As the Australian Associated Press and ABC Australia report, the unidentified woman told police she acted in self-defense in the moment, but a sampling of her Google searches in the weeks leading...
Cops: Stabbed and Buried Alive,
She Made Incredible Escape
Oct 25, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Cops: Stabbed and Buried Alive, She Made Incredible Escape
Chae An of Washington state charged with attempted murder of estranged wife Young An
- Washington couple Young and Chae An "are going through a messy divorce," as Fox News puts it. That looks to be an immense understatement, as the outlet reports Chae is accused of hog-tying his estranged wife before dragging her from her Lacey home and burying her alive in...
Husband Kills Wife as
She Files Restraining Order
Oct 5, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Husband Kills Wife as She Files Restraining Order
Gregory Hightower, a Navy recruiter in Texas, was subsequently killed in a shootout
- A Texas woman was in the midst of filing a domestic violence complaint against her husband when he fatally shot her as she held their baby, authorities say. Takara Hightower, 34, was being interviewed by two agents with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in the Humble home she shared with...
Alaska Faces 'Epidemic
of Deadly Violence
Sep 22, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
Alaska Faces 'Epidemic of Deadly Violence Against Women'
State has country's highest rate of women killed by men for 7th year in a row
- Alaska is once again at the top of a grim list. The Violence Policy Center says the state is "experiencing a prolonged epidemic of deadly violence against women" and, for the seventh year in a row, has America's highest homicide rate for "female victims killed by male...
Mail Carrier Credited
With Saving Woman in Attack
Aug 29, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Mail Carrier Credited With Saving Woman in Attack
Christine Cambizaca let woman into her truck and locked the door in Torrington, Connecticut
- A postal worker in Torrington, Connecticut, is being hailed as a hero after assisting a woman who was allegedly fleeing from her abusive boyfriend, reports Fox 34. USPS employee Christine Cambizaca says she was delivering mail in a residential area when a bruised, bloodied woman approached begging for help. “...
Jul 21, 2022 1:21 PM CDT
Nephew Withdraws Claim Against Ricky Martin
Case in Puerto Rico is dismissed in victory for the entertainer
A disturbing court case against Ricky Martin has been dismissed, reports
. The singer's nephew, who had accused Martin of sexual abuse, requested that his case be dismissed, and a judge in Puerto Rico agreed to the request. As a result, a restraining order issued against Martin also...
NBA Player's Wife
'I Can't Be Silent
Jul 2, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
NBA Player's Wife on Instagram: 'I Can't Be Silent Anymore'
Charlotte Hornets' Miles Bridges charged with domestic violence; spouse posts photos online
- On Wednesday, Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges was arrested for felony domestic violence, and on Friday, his wife headed to Instagram to weigh in on what's been going on. Mychelle Johnson posted a series of photos showing apparent injuries from the alleged attack, which the LAPD says took place...
KFC Worker Calls 911 After
Customer Writes Note for Help
May 19, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
KFC Worker Calls 911 After Customer Writes Note for Help
Woman told Memphis police that her boyfriend was holding her against her will
- A Memphis woman told police her partner was holding her against her will, had confiscated her phone, and punched her in the face when she tried to leave. That she was able to speak to police was thanks to her quick thinking, and a KFC worker who took action. The...
Husband Charged With
Murder of Former Soccer Star
May 19, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Husband Charged With Murder of Former Soccer Star
University of Kansas mourns Regan Gibbs
- The husband of former Universty of Kansas soccer star Regan Gibbs was arrested after he called 911 and her body was found in their Lawrence apartment. The Lawrence Police Department says Chad Marek, 26, was arrested at the scene and "domestic violence is being investigated as a contributing factor,...
My Ex Shook,
Mar 10, 2022 12:13 PM CST
Selma Blair: My Ex Shook, Strangled Me
She's been granted a restraining order against Ronald Carlson
- Selma Blair has been granted a restraining order against her former long-term boyfriend after an alleged attack in her home last month. According to court documents seen by
and TMZ , the order was granted by a judge on Feb. 25, three days after the incident. In the filing, Blair...
Biden's ICE Pick Caught Up
in Domestic Abuse Brouhaha
Mar 9, 2022 7:33 AM CST
Biden's ICE Pick Caught Up in Domestic Abuse Brouhaha
Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez and his wife both say the allegations are 'false'
- The Senate was expected to vote as soon as this week on President Biden's pick to lead the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which has been without a Senate-confirmed director since 2017. That vote has now been delayed, however, following domestic violence allegations against the nominee. Senate Democrats withdrew a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.