Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Majorly Stressed Out
Mar 11, 2022 1:18 PM CST
Americans Are Majorly Stressed Out
87% say mental health has faltered under 'constant stream of crises without a break' since 2020: APA
- Feeling stressed out more than you were, say, in 2019? Makes sense, according to a new survey from the American Psychological Association, which says that a COVID-fatigued America now grappling with higher prices at the pumps and supermarkets, as well as gruesome images from a war overseas, is being hit...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Our Email Use Is
Mar 2, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Our Email Use Is 'Literally Inhumane'
Cal Newport argues we need alternatives to constant work messaging
- You hear a ping and look down at your phone to see that you have another email on top of hundreds still unread. If you immediately feel anxious, Cal Newport understands. The professional world has embraced email to such a degree that it now relies on near-constant communication at the...
One More Thing to Blame
on COVID: Your Teeth
Sep 9, 2020 8:59 AM CDT
One More Thing to Blame on COVID: Your Teeth
Dentist says stress from virus is causing people to clench, grind teeth, leading to fractures
- Plenty of odd COVID-19 symptoms have cropped up , but one condition is now being documented in the dentist's chair—and it's not a symptom of the illness, but an apparent result of being stressed out by it. Writing in the
New York Times
, prosthodontist Tammy Chen details the...
Stomach Rebelling Over Stress?
'Love' Hormone May Help
Sep 1, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Stomach Rebelling Over Stress? 'Love' Hormone May Help
Scientists find that oxytocin plays bigger role in stress reduction, digestion than previously thought
- When you're cuddling with someone special, you may feel butterflies in your stomach—but scientists now say the feel-good hormone that's released when you're in love may also be playing another part when it comes to your GI tract. Researchers have long known that when people are...
This Is the Least Stressed
City in America
Jul 15, 2019 5:46 PM CDT
This Is the Least Stressed City in America
Congratulations, Fremont, California
- When it comes to stress levels, the cities of Detroit and Fremont, California, are America's polar opposites. A new ranking by WalletHub —one that accounts for factors such as work hours, divorce and suicide rates, and debt—pegs Detroit as the most stressed city in the nation. Fremont,...
One Part of the World
Is Pretty Positive
Apr 26, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
One Part of the World Is Pretty Positive
Gallup poll: Latin American nations tend to have less negativity
- Feeling angry, worried, and stressed? So is the rest of the world, though some areas are more prone to those feelings than others. That's per Gallup's "Global Emotions" report , cited by the BBC , which surveyed 151,000 people in more than 140 countries to gauge their negative...
This State Has
the Least Stress
in case you missed it
Apr 6, 2019 8:06 AM CDT
This State Has the Least Stress
Minnesota is best in new ranking
- Lousiana and Minnesota are the yin and yang of stress, according to a new survey by WalletHub . The website ranked the states from most to least stressed, using factors such as money trouble (bankruptcies, etc.), family trouble (divorce rate, etc.), work stress (unemployment, commute time, etc.), and...
Mar 19, 2019 2:03 AM CDT
Astronauts' Newest Health Concern: Herpes
Study finds dormant viruses can reactivate in individuals who've endured stresses of space travel
- Astronauts who "boldly go where no man has gone before," as William Shatner's Captain Kirk once put it , likely anticipate their body will undergo certain changes while in space. But how many have guessed they might see a herpes flare-up? New research from NASA shows that the...
America's 10 Most
Jul 21, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
America's 10 Most Stressful Cities
Detroit is a tough town. Fremont, CA, not so much
- Stress, death, and taxes—all inevitable, right? Maybe so, but a WalletHub analysis of 180 US cities finds they inflict stress in unequal measure. Analyzing 37 metrics like suicide rates, debt load, divorce, and average work hours per week, researchers boiled them down to four stress areas: work, finance, family,...
5 States That
Need to Loosen Up
Apr 3, 2018 10:11 AM CDT
5 States That Need to Loosen Up
WalletHub uses 38 stress indicators to rank most, least stressed states
- The Midwest is best—at least when it comes to living a relatively stress-free life. WalletHub took a look at nearly 40 stress indicators related to work, family, money, and health, in all 50 states and DC to determine the most and least stressed states. Its list suggests anxiety rises...
Nov 30, 2017 11:31 AM CST
John Conyers in Hospital for Stress
And Nancy Pelosi is now calling for congressman to resign
- Amid a flurry of sexual misconduct allegations , Rep. John Conyers' office confirms that the 88-year-old was hospitalized overnight in Detroit, per WDIV . A political consultant who noted he spoke with Conyers' wife, Monica, early Thursday said the Michigan congressman is being treated for stress-related issues. "We want you to...
Female Defector Describes
Harsh Life in N. Korean Army
in case you missed it
Nov 25, 2017 10:20 AM CST
Female Defector Describes Harsh Life in N. Korean Army
Lee So Yeon says conditions were so tough women stopped having their periods
- Lee So Yeon volunteered to join the North Korea army in 1992, lured in part, she says, by the promise of a daily meal. While cautioning that stories of defectors like Lee have to be taken with a grain of salt, the BBC presents an interview with the now 41-year-old...
Aug 27, 2017 1:30 PM CDT
Work-Life Balance Gets Trickier After 35
More people feel stressed and underappreciated
- The older we get, the more of us there are who don't like our jobs—at least according to a recent survey of more than 2,000 employees in the UK. Age 35 seems to be a tipping point: The number of those who are unhappy at work more...
Actually Be a
Aug 1, 2017 5:44 PM CDT
Talking to Yourself Can Actually Be a Good Thing
When done in your head, in the third person
- Talking to yourself doesn't mean you're crazy. In fact, the habit might be downright smart. That's the takeaway from a new study in
, which involved two separate experiments. In the first, researchers at Michigan State University and the University of Michigan monitored the brain activity...
Alarm on Dropping
Male Sperm Counts
Jul 26, 2017 6:33 AM CDT
Researchers Sound Alarm on Dropping Male Sperm Counts
There's been a 52% drop in sperm counts over the last 40 years
- The Western man's sperm count just isn't what it used to be. In what the
calls the largest and most comprehensive look into the matter, an international team of researchers reports in the journal
Human Reproductive Update
that after analyzing 185 previous studies involving 42,000...
This Is the Most
Stressed US City
Jul 18, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed US City
Take a deep breath, Newark
- Looking for a business opportunity? Consider opening a massage parlor in Newark, NJ, where residents appear to be the most stressed in the country. WalletHub looked at 30 stress indicators as they relate to work, money, family, and health to come up with the most and least stressed cities in...
5 States That
Need to Take
a Chill Pill
Apr 3, 2017 9:53 AM CDT
5 States That Need to Take a Chill Pill
WalletHub looks at the most stressed, least stressed states
- Depending on where you live, you could be living a constant rat race or existing in a
-like moment of zen. WalletHub took a look at nearly three dozen stress indicators across a range of categories in all 50 states and DC, including anxiety related to work, family, money,...
Japan Asks Worn-Out Workers
to Take Afternoon to Chill
Jan 21, 2017 11:59 AM CST
Japan Asks Worn-Out Workers to Take Afternoon to Chill
'Premium Friday' begins in February
- Workers in Japan put in notoriously long hours, and the country appears to be paying a price: stressed out workers and resulting health problems, including suicide. As the
notes, there's even a word for it: " karoshi ," or "death by overwork." Now Japan is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.