Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Chest Move: Sponsorship
Draws Backlash From Women
Oct 4, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Chest Move: Sponsorship Draws Backlash From Women
Many female players say game's governing body should focus on brains, not bras
- Women in the chess world want support—but not like that. International Chess Federation recently announced a sponsorship agreement with Establishment Labs, a company that makes Motiva breast implants, the
New York Times
reports. The arrangement is meant to financially support chess events for women. Women players who spoke to...
Malala Lays Out Plan on
'Critical Moment' in Afghanistan
Aug 18, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
Malala Lays Out Plan on 'Critical Moment' in Afghanistan
Activist says women, girls need neighbors' help, more specific education guarantees from Taliban
- After Afghanistan's capital fell to the Taliban on Sunday, the extremist group's final symbolic move to controlling the country, its members made a promise to all Afghan women and girls that they'd retain their right to an education and shouldn't fret. That vow has been met...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for Women
Mar 1, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Women
Minnesota comes out on top, Mississippi is at the bottom
- Pay gaps, the minimum wage, the pandemic—all issues that affect women disproportionately, though there are some areas of the US that offer better opportunities for women than others. WalletHub tries to shake those locations out, looking at more than two dozen metrics in two main categories: women's economic...
Nov 28, 2020 3:50 PM CST
30-Yard Kick Makes College Football History
Sarah Fuller is Power 5 Football's first female player
- A 30-yard squib kick, making history? Yep, it happened Saturday when Sarah Fuller kicked for the Vanderbilt Commodores and became the first female player in a Power 5 football game—college ball's top echelon, ESPN reports. "Honestly, it's just so exciting," she said of her perfect...
Forget 'Equal Pay.'
We Need 'Pay Equity'
Nov 14, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Forget 'Equal Pay.' We Need 'Pay Equity'
New Zealand is embracing the value of women's work, writes Anna Louie Sussman
- So-called women's work—like cleaning, caring, and providing food—is usually underpaid, but "equal pay" isn't the answer. That's according to journalist Anna Louie Sussman, who argues in the
New York Times
that New Zealand's pursuit of "pay equity" makes a lot more sense....
10 Best, Worst US
States for the Ladies
Mar 2, 2020 10:05 AM CST
10 Best, Worst US States for the Ladies
Massachusetts comes in at No. 1, Louisiana is dead last
- Women make up just over half of the population in America, so one would think that health care, job opportunities, and goodwill toward working parents as they relate to women would be a top priority. WalletHub took a look at all 50 states, plus the District at Columbia, analyzing two...
Mom Told to Cover
Breastfeeding: 'I Got Angry'
Jan 26, 2020 12:45 PM CST
Mom Told to Cover Breastfeeding: 'I Got Angry'
Samantha McIntosh pushed back against Chick-fil-A
- Cover my breastfeeding? OK ... I think. A Georgia woman agreed to a Chick-fil-A manager's request Monday—seems a customer had complained—but then got upset about it, CNN reports. "As I sit there in this family friendly restaurant I start to simmer," writes Samantha McIntosh on Facebook...
Man Who Slapped
Tries to Explain
Dec 11, 2019 2:12 PM CST
Man Who Slapped Reporter's Butt Tries to Explain
Tommy Callaway says he got 'caught up in the moment'
- The Georgia man accused of slapping a reporter's butt as she covered a race on live TV is trying to explain. In his first interview since the incident, Tommy Callaway, 43, tells
he planned to wave at the TV camera as he ran by during Saturday's...
Big Move to
Nov 18, 2019 9:25 AM CST
Museum Makes Big Move to Correct 'Centuries of Imbalance'
Baltimore Museum of Art will acquire works from female artists only in 2020
- "This [is] how you raise awareness and shift the identity of an institution. You don't just purchase one painting by a female artist of color and hang it on the wall next to a painting by Mark Rothko. To rectify centuries of imbalance, you have to do something...
A New Role Awaits
Men in Coal Country
Sep 15, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
A New Role Awaits Men in Coal Country
In one Kentucky county, it's women who bring home the bacon
- Welcome to Letcher County in Kentucky, where coal's decline is changing time-honored gender roles. As men struggle to find work, women are entering a field in need of people—health care—and bringing home relatively small but still invaluable paychecks, the
New York Times
reports. "The mines have...
Sep 15, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Honored Women Address Legacies, Issue Challenges
Women's Hall of Fame inducts Class of 2019
- Angela Davis says her "consciousness has been enabled always by shared endeavors and collective consciousness." At critical points in her life, the former Black Panther Party leader said, "I’ve always been one of many," the AP reports. Davis made the point Saturday when she was...
This Version of Monopoly
Gives Women an Edge
Sep 10, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
This Version of Monopoly Gives Women an Edge
Hasbro out with 'Ms. Monopoly'
- Hasbro is out with a new version of Monopoly that has a twist: Girls and women have a built-in edge. For example, female players of Ms. Monopoly get $1,900 from the bank at the start of the game, while male players gets $1,500, reports
. Similarly, female...
New Coast Guard Expense:
Breast Milk Shipping
Jun 28, 2019 9:43 AM CDT
New Coast Guard Expense: Breast Milk Shipping
Service members to be reimbursed up to $750 per year
- The Coast Guard is following through on a promise to introduce changes aimed at keeping women in the service. Service members on duty or other official business who send breast milk back home will be reimbursed for shipping costs of up to $750 per household per year under a program...
Here's How to Fix
Trump's Neglect on Women
May 30, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Here's How to Fix Trump's Neglect on Women
Cathy Russell wants to see new women's adviser
- Dozens of countries have a Cabinet-level official charged with tackling women's issues. It's about time the US—in which that role is spread across government agencies—gets one, too, according to Cathy Russell, whose former role as US ambassador-at-large for global women's issues hasn't been filled...
A Big First for Female
Lawmakers in the US
Feb 4, 2019 1:53 PM CST
A Big First for Female Lawmakers in the US
More than half of state legislature is female in Nevada, a historic moment
- In the US, more than half of the population— 50.8% —is female. But it wasn't until this year that a state legislature has been made up of more than 50% women. In Nevada, which began its legislative session Monday, 50.8% of state representatives and senators are...
Author, TV Host
Over 50 'Not
Jan 7, 2019 6:18 PM CST
50-Year-Old Author, TV Host Says Women Over 50 'Not Extraordinary'
Yann Moix under fire for saying he's 'incapable' of loving women over 50
- A popular French author, who just so happens to be 50 years old, recently told a magazine he would never get romantically involved with anyone his age or older. "That’s not possible … too, too old," Yann Moix said during his interview with the French edition of...
Nevada Ditches the 'Pink Tax'
Nov 8, 2018 5:03 PM CST
Nevada Ditches the 'Pink Tax'
Eliminates sales tax on menstrual products
- No more "pink tax" in Nevada: Voters on Tuesday amended the state's 1955 tax act to remove the sales and storage tax on menstrual products. Feminine hygiene products are already exempt from sales taxes in nine other states and the District of Columbia, and in an additional five...
Julia Roberts, Done at 51?
'I Think That's Made Up'
Oct 28, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Julia Roberts, Done at 51? 'I Think That's Made Up'
The veteran actor talks ageism and gender parity
- Julia Roberts just turned 51, and for her it's the biggest shrug—why would anyone care? "I think that’s made up, that at a certain age, the bell is going to ring and you are done," she says, per ABC News . "I don’t think...
CERN Scientist Suspended Over
Oct 2, 2018 12:21 AM CDT
CERN Scientist Suspended Over 'Unacceptable' Comments
Professor Alessandro Strumia said 'physics was built by men' during a presentation
- A scientist with one of the world's most respected research facilities who says "physics was invented and built by men, it’s not by invitation” has been suspended over seemingly misogynistic comments he made during a presentation. Per the BBC , Professor Alessandro Strumia of Pisa University was speaking...
Students In This
Aug 25, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Students In This Country Get Tampons for Free
'After all periods are not exempt from poverty,' official says
- Good news for female students in Scotland: All your pads and tampons will now be free, the
reports. The Scottish government has allocated $6.7 million to pay for the sanitary products of some 395,000 school, college, and university students—an effort to banish what's called "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.