Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the
Apr 4, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
This Is the Healthiest City in America
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Brownsville, Texas, brings up the rear
- The pandemic made many reassess the importance of staying fit, so WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities to see which are helping residents live their best wellness lives in four main categories:
(including such factors as cost of basic medicine, quality of...
34 Years After Murder, Killer
Identified From a Single Hair
Mar 18, 2022 10:28 AM CDT
34 Years After Murder, Killer Identified From a Single Hair
'Closure is everything,' says son who was 2 when Diane Dahn was killed
- On May 2, 1988, 2-year-old Mark Beyer was found wandering on his own in a San Diego-area apartment complex. His mother had been stabbed to death in their apartment. After 34 years, police have identified the killer, and Beyer, now 36, says he finally has closure—"and closure is...
Here Are the Most, Least
Affordable Cities in America
Mar 5, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Most, Least Affordable Cities in America
San Diego pushes San Francisco out as the most expensive market
- Move over, San Francisco—you can no longer claim the most expensive housing market in the nation. The
San Francisco Chronicle
reports the city has been "dethroned," by one a little further south, according to a recent report from real estate firm OJO Labs . The new most unaffordable...
Want a Perpetual Smile
on Your Face? Move Here
Mar 1, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Want a Perpetual Smile on Your Face? Move Here
WalletHub ranks the happiest cities in the US, with 6 out of the top 10 falling in one state
- Bobby McFerrin can only offer so many insinuations that being happy is just a state of mind. After all, there are real, measurable factors that can help boost one's happiness level, and in some parts of the US, those factors can be found in spades. WalletHub looked at more...
in Loss of Navy Ship
Feb 25, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Court-Martial Ordered in Loss of Navy Ship
Bonhomme Richard burned for 5 days in San Diego Harbor
- A sailor accused of starting the fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard will face a court-martial for arson, according to charges filed Friday. Ryan Mays faces two counts in military court for the July 2020 blaze that injured dozens of personnel aboard the amphibious assault ship as the fire...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
Man Shoved Onto
Train Tracks, Fatally
Jan 3, 2022 2:29 AM CST
Man Shoved Onto Train Tracks, Fatally
California attack was unprovoked, police say
- Two men stepped off a San Diego trolley Saturday morning and, police say, one of them then pushed the other into the path of an oncoming train. The victim died at the scene, and the suspect fled on another trolley, Fox 5 San Diego reports. There was no provocation before...
Before San Diego Crash
Dec 29, 2021 2:00 PM CST
Pilot Heard Swearing, Screaming Before San Diego Crash
Learjet crashed into power lines while attempting to land
- Federal investigators are trying to determine what caused a Learjet 35 to crash near San Diego Monday night, killing all four people on board. The plane, which was being used by a company called Aeromedevac Air Ambulance, crashed while returning to Gillespie Field after taking a patient from Arizona to...
Guy Who Led Cops
on Low-Speed Chase
Tells a Familiar Tale
Oct 19, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Guy Who Led Cops on Low-Speed Chase Tells a Familiar Tale
Man suspected of stealing tow truck said bomb would blow up if he stopped, a la 'Speed'
- A man in a tow truck led police on an extremely slow chase through the streets of San Diego on Monday, never hitting speeds over 10mph. The pursuit began around 7:45pm as police went after an allegedly stolen tow truck. Over the course of an hour, officers followed the...
Mother, Toddler Son Fall
to Deaths at Baseball Park
Sep 26, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Mother, Toddler Son Fall to Deaths at Baseball Park
The two were pronounced dead shortly before the Padres-Braves game Saturday
- A woman and her toddler son fell to their deaths at the Padres stadium in San Diego Saturday. Horrified onlookers saw the 2-year-old boy fall first and his mother fall while trying to catch him. The two fell from a third-level concourse at a concessions area, about six stories above...
US Navy Helicopter
Crashes Off of San Diego
Sep 1, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
US Navy Helicopter Crashes Off of San Diego
One crew member had been rescued by Tuesday night, 5 were missing
- A US Navy helicopter crashed Tuesday in the ocean off Southern California during a routine flight from an aircraft carrier, military officials said. A search and rescue operation was launched after the MH-60S helicopter crashed around 4:30pm about 60 nautical miles off San Diego, the Navy's US Pacific...
USNS John Lewis
Jul 17, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Navy Christens USNS John Lewis
'Good Trouble' vigils planned across the country on the anniversary of civil rights icon's death
- US Rep. John Lewis was remembered Saturday in word, song, calls to action, and, in San Diego, by christening a Navy ship named for him. "We miss him on this platform, but we will never be without him," actress Alfre Woodard said before christening the USNS John Lewis,...
After 'Reprehensible' Act at
High School Game, a Firing
Jun 23, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
After 'Reprehensible' Act at High School Game, a Firing
Head basketball coach at Calif. school is out of a job over tortilla incident
- A San Diego-area school district voted Tuesday night to fire the head basketball coach after tortillas were hurled at a team from a mostly Latino high school, per the AP . The school board for the Coronado Unified School District voted 5-0 in a closed session to release JD Laaperi of...
Destroyer Docks in San Diego
With 2 Dead Whales on Hull
May 12, 2021 6:32 PM CDT
Destroyer Docks in San Diego With 2 Dead Whales on Hull
Australian navy says it is 'disheartened'
- A disturbing find was made as a Royal Australian Navy destroyer docked in San Diego on Saturday: Two dead whales—one of them as long as a tractor-trailer—had been stuck to its hull, CNN reports. The endangered fin whales, one 65 feet long and the other 25 feet, became...
Packed Boat Capsizes Off
San Diego; 3 Dead
May 2, 2021 5:52 PM CDT
Packed Boat Capsizes Off San Diego; 3 Dead
Officials suspect human smuggling; more than 2 dozen are hospitalized
- Three people died and more than two dozen were hospitalized when a boat capsized near San Diego. Officials say they suspect the boat was smuggling people into the US, the
San Diego Union-Tribune
reports. Parks workers saw people in the water off the coast of Point Loma near the Cabrillo...
Woman Killed After Man
Jumps Off Parking Garage
Apr 28, 2021 9:06 AM CDT
Woman Killed After Man Jumps Off Parking Garage
Taylor Kahle was walking with a date in San Diego when the freak accident took place
- A man apparently jumped to his death from a San Diego parking garage over the weekend, but tragically, he wasn't the only fatality.
reports that Taylor Kahle, 29, was walking past the nine-story structure downtown on Sunday evening with a companion when a man who'd been spotted...
3 Dead, 6 Hurt After Car Hits
San Diego Pedestrians
Mar 15, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
3 Dead, 6 Hurt After Car Hits San Diego Pedestrians
Cops say driver lost control, veered onto sidewalk
- A driver lost control and veered onto a sidewalk Monday dotted with the tents of homeless people in downtown San Diego, killing three people and injuring six others, police said. The driver—whom authorities identified only as a 71-year-old man—was heading through a tunnel underneath a community college campus...
Here Are the Healthiest,
Least Healthy Cities in America
Feb 8, 2021 8:24 AM CST
Here Are the Healthiest, Least Healthy Cities in America
Is there something in the water out West?
- Staying healthy is a priority for many people, and where you live makes a difference. WalletHub has done the work to help you figure out which places might help you reach your wellness goals. The site looked at 180-plus of the most populated cities across the nation, using nearly four...
Want an Active
Lifestyle? Live Here
Jan 10, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Want an Active Lifestyle? Live Here
These are the US cities where you can be the fittest version of you
- New year, new you? If that's one of your goals for 2021, and fitness is integral to that goal, there are parts of the US that may suit you best. In its quest to track down where the promise of an active lifestyle beckons, WalletHub analyzed the 100 largest...
After 51 Years
'Free and Easy,'
Oct 29, 2020 5:06 AM CDT
After 51 Years 'Free and Easy,' Murder Suspect Arrested
Victim's sister persuaded cops to reopen case
- When Rosalie Sanz read about the Golden State Killer and other murderers identified through new DNA technology long after their crimes, she thought about her sister, who was raped and murdered in San Diego in 1969. She enlisted a retired police officer friend to persuade police to reopen the investigation...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.