Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mexican drug cartel
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Kept a Murder Tally,
Became Victim No. 56
Nov 24, 2023 8:40 AM CST
He Kept a Murder Tally, Became Victim No. 56
Mexican activist Adolfo Enríquez was killed in Leon on Tuesday
- An activist who documented murders in one of Mexico's deadliest cities has himself been killed, authorities confirmed Wednesday. Adolfo Enríquez was killed in the city of Leon, in north-central Guanajuato state. The city has the third-highest number of homicides in Mexico, trailing only the border cities of Tijuana...
Cartel Leaves Grisly
Messages of Warning
Jul 6, 2023 1:29 PM CDT
Cartel Leaves Grisly Messages of Warning
Body parts and handwritten signs strewn about in Mexico state's capital of Toluca
- A cartel turf war has taken a gruesome turn near Mexico City, with body parts strewn about the city of Toluca. The severed leg of one victim was hung from a bridge, with the trunk of his body left on the street below, reports the AP . Parts of at least...
Gunmen Kill 7,
at Mexico Resort
Apr 17, 2023 12:45 AM CDT
Gunmen Kill 7, Including Child, at Mexico Resort
Gunmen shot up pool area of La Palma resort
- Six adults and a child under the age of 7 were killed Saturday when gunmen shot up a resort in Mexico. The shootings took place at La Palma, a resort in the municipality of Cortazar in Guanajuato state, NBC News reports. An eighth victim was also hospitalized with serious injuries,...
Mexico's Military Implicated in
Disappearance of 43 Students
Aug 19, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Mexico's Military Implicated in Disappearance of 43 Students
It was a 'state crime,' truth commission finds, along with evidence all were 'cunningly killed'
- Mexico's military was involved in the disappearance of 43 college students in 2014, according to the final report of a truth commission arranged by the current administration of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador. The report labeled the mass abduction and murder a "state crime." It found that...
Illustrates the Scale
of Mexico's Missing
Mar 5, 2022 1:50 PM CST
'Extermination Site' Illustrates the Scale of Mexico's Missing
Progress is slow, and justice is nowhere in sight for families of the nearly 100K who have disappeared
- The human foot—burned, but with some fabric still attached—was the tipoff for investigators. Until recently, this squat, ruined house in Nuevo Laredo was a place where the remains of some of Mexico’s missing multitudes were torn apart and incinerated. At the site—to which AP was given...
Cancun Tourists Flee Beach
as Gunmen Storm It, Shooting
Nov 5, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
Cancun Tourists Flee Beach as Gunmen Storm It, Shooting
Armed drug gang storms beach near luxury hotels
- On Thursday gunmen stormed ashore at a beach on Mexico's resort-studded Caribbean coast and executed two drug dealers from a rival gang in front of luxury hotels. The dramatic shooting attack sent tourists scrambling for cover at the resort of Puerto Morelos, just south of Cancun, the AP reports....
Cartel: We'll Kill
Journalist Unless She
Gives Equal Coverage
Aug 10, 2021 12:11 AM CDT
Cartel: We'll Kill Journalist Unless She Gives Equal Coverage
Men claim to represent Mexico's Jalisco New Generation cartel
- Masked men claiming to represent Mexico’s most powerful drug cartel have taken the unusual step of circulating a video threatening to kill a national television news anchor for what they viewed as unfair coverage. The video circulated Monday showed masked and heavily armed men surrounding a man seated at...
Former Mexican Gov. Killed
in Restaurant Bathroom
Dec 19, 2020 10:52 AM CST
Former Mexican Gov. Killed in Restaurant Bathroom
Aristóteles Sandoval had served as governor of Mexico's Jalisco state
- The former Governor of Mexico's "violence-wracked" state of Jalisco died early Friday morning after being shot in the back while in a restaurant bathroom, the
reports. Authorities say that Aristóteles Sandoval, 46, was vacationing in Puerto Vallarta when he was gunned down, per the
Cartel Boss Arrested in
Massacre of 9 Americans
Nov 24, 2020 4:42 PM CST
Cartel Boss Arrested in Massacre of 9 Americans
Mormon women, children, were killed on highway
- A cop-turned-cartel boss has been arrested in connection with last year's massacre of nine American Mormons in an ambush in northern Mexico. Roberto Gonzalez Montes, also known as Mudo or El 32, is the alleged leader of the La Linea drug cartel in Chihuahua state, reports the Daily Beast...
Search Teams Make
'Sad and Terrible' Find
Oct 31, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Search Teams Make 'Sad and Terrible' Find
Officials make a grim discovery in central Mexico
- Search teams dug for more remains Thursday at a site in central Mexico where 59 bodies have already been found in clandestine graves over the past week in an area known as a cartel battleground, the AP reports. It was the largest such burial site found to date in Guanajuato,...
Gunmen Kill 24 at
Mexico Rehab Center
Jul 2, 2020 2:24 AM CDT
Gunmen Kill 24 at Mexico Rehab Center
Guanajuato governor blames drug gangs
- Gunmen burst into an unregistered drug rehabilitation center in central Mexico and opened fire Wednesday, killing 24 people and wounding seven, authorities say. Police in the north-central state of Guanajuato said the attack occurred in the city of Irapuato. Three of the seven wounded were reportedly in serious condition. Apparently...
Virus Kills Feared Gang Leader
May 11, 2020 4:33 PM CDT
Virus Kills Feared Gang Leader
Scores of other cases reported in same prison
- Mexican gang leader Moises Escamiilla May—also known as "Fat May"—has died from COVID-19 in a maximum security prison. The 45-year-old kingpin of the "Old School Zetas" group, part of the Los Zetas cartel, was 12 years into a 37-year sentence for crimes including his role...
of 'The Empress'
Feb 3, 2020 3:48 PM CST
El Chapo's Daughter Weds Nephew of 'The Empress'
Alejandrina Guzman marries Edgar Cazares in Mexico
- Mazel tov: El Chapo's daughter has married the nephew of another drug boss. Alejandrina Guzman, daughter of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, married Edgar Cazares on Jan. 25 in Sinaloa’s state capital, Culiacan, Reuters reports. As the UK
explains, Cazares is the nephew of Blanca Margarita Cazares,...
Gunmen Attack US Family
on Mexican Road, Kill Teen
Jan 6, 2020 4:05 PM CST
Gunmen Attack US Family on Mexican Road, Kill Teen
Group was returning home in an area known for cartel battles
- Gunmen in northern Mexico opened fire on a family returning to the US on Saturday night, killing a 13-year-old girl and wounding her brother and parents. The family and other relatives were driving in two vehicles after spending the holidays in San Luis Potosi in central Mexico, CBS News reports....
Assault on Town
Near US Border
Dec 2, 2019 2:23 AM CST
Cartel Launches Assault on Town Near US Border
Authorities say 14 gunmen are among the 20 dead
- Mexican security forces on Sunday killed seven more members of a presumed cartel assault force that rolled into a town near the Texas border and staged an hour-long attack, officials said, putting the overall death toll at 20. The Coahuila state government said in a statement that lawmen aided by...
by Trump's Comments
Nov 27, 2019 1:12 PM CST
Mexico Seems 'Caught Off-Guard' by Trump's Comments
President says he will designate its drug cartels as terrorists
- President Trump is making a big move against Mexican drug cartels, and it's one he says has been in the works for three months. In an interview with Bill O'Reilly posted online Tuesday that referenced the "more than 100,000 Americans" killed a year via imported drugs,...
52 Bodies Found in
Mexico Mass Graves
Nov 11, 2019 12:45 AM CST
52 Bodies Found in Mexico Mass Graves
US citizen's relatives are hoping for closure
- Forensic scientists in the Mexican state of Sonora have recovered 10 more bodies from mass graves near a beach town, raising the total number of bodies and skeletons found in the area since October to 52. The state attorney's office said Saturday they were tipped off to the desert...
Trump Responds to Killing
of American Mormons
Nov 5, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Trump Responds to Killing of American Mormons
It's time to eradicate drug cartels in Mexico, and the US will help, he says
- The murder of women and children in a Mormon family in Mexico has President Trump calling for the eradication of drug cartels—with US help. All the victims have dual US-Mexico citizenship, reports CNN . "This is the time for Mexico, with the help of the United States, to wage...
Cartel Gunmen Free
Son of 'El Chapo'
Oct 18, 2019 1:34 AM CDT
Cartel Gunmen Free Son of 'El Chapo'
Mexican city became battlefield after he was detained
- The son of former Sinaloa cartel kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was located along with other cartel members in the Mexican city of Culiacan Thursday—but he wasn't detained for long. Mexican security secretary Alfonso Durazo says that after 30 members of the National Guard and army found...
44 Bodies Found in Well
Sep 15, 2019 11:55 AM CDT
44 Bodies Found in Well
Yet another mass grave discovered in Mexico
- Mexican authorities responding to complaints of a nasty smell have found dozens of bodies buried in a well, the BBC reports. Uncovered earlier this month in the western state of Jalisco, the remains were mostly cut up and distributed between 119 black bags. Authorities have managed to identify 44 of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.