Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Zealand Was
Having a Nice Bird
Came John Oliver
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 19, 2023 3:45 PM CST
New Zealand Was Having a Nice Bird Contest. Then Came John Oliver
'Last Week Tonight' host wins with his viral campaign to get puking bird voted 'Bird of the Century'
- Comedian John Oliver has succeeded in his campaign to have what he describes as a weird, puking bird with a colorful mullet win New Zealand's Bird of the Century contest. As the AP reports, he even managed to elbow out the iconic national bird, the kiwi. Conservation group Forest...
Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, Oliver,
Meyers Just Teamed Up
Aug 31, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, Oliver, Meyers Just Teamed Up
Profits from podcast 'Strike Force Five' will go to their staffs, who are idled by Hollywood strike
- Late-night hosts Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, John Oliver, and Seth Meyers have teamed up in a new podcast called "Strike Force Five" —named after their personal text chain. Because their respective shows have been dark since the Writers Guild of America went on strike in May,...
In One Week, Late Night
Could Take a Hard Hit
Apr 24, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
In One Week, Late Night Could Take a Hard Hit
Looming Hollywood writers strike will affect talk shows, 'SNL' first if deal isn't reached by May 1
- May 1 is the deadline for Hollywood writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, to reach a contract agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and if no such deal is struck, the late-night TV arena will be the first to say goodbye to new episodes,...
Man Gives Nazi Salute at
Michigan School Board Meeting
Aug 20, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Man Gives Nazi Salute at Michigan School Board Meeting
It followed another in Pennsylvania
- An audience member was booted Tuesday from a school board meeting in Birmingham, Mich., where an indoor mask mandate was passed, after giving a Nazi salute. Suzanne Busdiecker had joined a friend at the podium at the Birmingham Public Schools board meeting as the friend spoke in support of the...
John Oliver Goes on
a Cereal Rant
Jun 2, 2021 12:13 AM CDT
John Oliver Goes on a Cereal Rant
Challenges Cheerios to drop an F-bomb
- Late night host John Oliver has a big issue with ... breakfast cereals. In a web exclusive video , the
Last Week Tonight
host ranted about the tendency of cereal brands to deliver "empty nonsense" and meaningless "positivity" jargon in their ad campaigns and on social media. "No one...
John Oliver Segment Gets the
Attention of Local News Outlets
May 26, 2021 6:40 AM CDT
John Oliver Segment Gets the Attention of Local News Outlets
Television station groups say they will review procedures after segment
- John Oliver on Sunday night delved into the topic of local news and its questionable use of sponsored content—and apparently, the
Last Week Tonight
segment was quite effective. Two station groups Deadline describes as "major" say they will review their stations' use of sponsored content in response to...
Mar 1, 2021 11:59 AM CST
John Oliver Points Out 'Pretty Weird' Cuomo Habit
Governor, now mired in scandals, mimics his father in quoting a fictional AJ Parkinson
- The scandals just keep coming for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, and the governor is getting no sympathy from John Oliver. On his latest HBO show , Oliver rips into Cuomo over allegations that he sexually harassed two women, covered up COVID deaths at nursing homes , and threatened a state lawmaker...
Late Night Blasts
Ted Cruz Photo Op
Feb 23, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Late Night Blasts Ted Cruz Photo Op
'Most people just drove away when he tried showing them his vacation photos'
- Late-night hosts who were on vacation during Ted Cruz's Cancun trip last week couldn't have been happier with the Texas senator's weekend photo op. Cruz had shared photos showing him meeting with first responders and putting water in people's vehicles with the hashtag #TexasStrong, which only...
Pringles Mascot Gets a
Body Thanks to John Oliver
Dec 9, 2020 11:43 AM CST
Pringles Mascot Gets a Body Thanks to John Oliver
And Feeding America gets $20K
- John Oliver has spent more time than anyone really should spend wondering what the body of the Pringles mascot looks like. He discussed some possibilities before
Last Week Tonight
went on hiatus, per the
, then released a web exclusive video on Sunday in which he showcased viewers' drawings...
John Oliver's Sewage
Wish Comes True
Oct 9, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
John Oliver's Sewage Wish Comes True
Connecticut city names facility after him
- It's official. Every time residents of Danbury, Connecticut, flush, they will be sending their special deliveries to the John Oliver Memorial Sewer Plant, per the AP . The City Council voted 18-1 Thursday night to rename the sewage plant after the comedian, who began a tongue-in-cheek battle with Danbury when...
John Oliver Chides Connecticut
City for Chickening Out
Aug 31, 2020 3:50 PM CDT
John Oliver Chides Connecticut City for Chickening Out
Says he'll give $55K to charity if Danbury gives sewage plant his name
- Comedian John Oliver upped the stakes in a tongue-in-cheek spat with a Connecticut city, offering to donate $55,000 to charity if officials follow through on a joke to name its sewage treatment plant after him . Mayor Mark Boughton said last week that Danbury was going to rename the facility...
Full of Crap'
Aug 23, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Sewage Plant Named After HBO Host 'Because It's Full of Crap'
Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton wasn't exactly complimenting John Oliver
- A Connecticut town's officials are showing comedian John Oliver what they think about his expletive-filled rant about their city—they're naming the local sewage treatment plant after him, the AP reports. Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton announced the tongue-in-cheek move in a video posted on his Facebook page on...
John Oliver Wants to Help the
USPS. So Now ... Stamps
May 11, 2020 8:29 AM CDT
John Oliver Wants to Help the USPS. So Now ... Stamps
'Last Week Tonight' launches branded stamp set to raise money for beleaguered agency
- John Oliver is worked up about the current financial struggles of the US Postal Service —so his show has launched what Mashable calls a "glorious stamp collection" featuring Bolivian zebras, Mr. Nutterbutter the giant squirrel , and Japanese mascot Chiijohn. On Sunday's
Last Week Tonight
, Oliver reported that...
John Oliver Hosted
a 'Definitely Weird'
Show on Sunday
Mar 16, 2020 3:39 PM CDT
John Oliver Hosted a 'Definitely Weird' Show on Sunday
HBO host says this was the week coronavirus went from 'an abstraction to a very real threat' in US
- Late-night TV shows have nixed studio audiences or canceled production altogether during the novel coronavirus outbreak, and John Oliver noted how bizarre it all was during his own Sunday night broadcast. In a special episode of HBO's
Last Week Tonight
—aired from an unknown studio, with its host sitting...
John Oliver Has Movie Analogy
to Explain Boris Johnson
Jul 29, 2019 1:58 PM CDT
John Oliver Has Movie Analogy to Explain Boris Johnson
He's like a bumbling Hugh Grant in a rom-com, says Oliver. The problem is, this is not a movie
- John Oliver returned to his HBO show from a short hiatus Sunday to deliver what Mashable describes as a "truly savage and clinical takedown" of new British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. See the full video here , in which Oliver warns succinctly that "Britain is f-----." Johnson comes...
John Oliver Robocalls
FCC About Robocalls
Mar 11, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
John Oliver Robocalls FCC About Robocalls
HBO host hopes to get commissioners' attention about the problem
- John Oliver cannot understand why the FCC won't stop illegal, spammy robocalls, and he unleashed some poetic justice on his HBO show Sunday night. His staff created its own robocall message and began robocalling all five FCC commissioners, including agency chief Ajit Pai, reports Deadline . (You can see the...
With Fake Ad
Sep 24, 2018 7:43 AM CDT
John Oliver Torches Facebook With Fake Ad
Host goes after site as a 'fetid swamp of mistruths and outright lies'
- John Oliver has proposed a new ad for Facebook, but don't expect Mark Zuckerberg to be adopting it. In the latest episode of his HBO show, Oliver delivered a scathing critique of the site that culminated in his assessment of Facebook as "a fetid swamp of mistruths and...
John Oliver Finds
Out What Happens
When You Rip on China
Jun 21, 2018 8:20 AM CDT
John Oliver Finds Out What Happens When You Rip on China
'Last Week Tonight' host criticized Xi Jiping, now faces scrubbing on country's version of Twitter
- "China: the country responsible for huge technological advances, and yet it still can't seem to get pandas to f---" is how John Oliver opened Sunday's edition of
Last Week Tonight .
That was just the start of an episode filled with barbs aimed at the world's most...
for John Oliver
May 8, 2018 11:42 AM CDT
Russell Crowe Names Koala Chlamydia Clinic for John Oliver
Actor found him 'something special' after Oliver spent big at divorce auction
- John Oliver publicly and gleefully spent like a drunken sailor at Russell Crowe's very successful divorce auction —to the tune of almost $80,000 on items that included a used leather jock strap—but Crowe just dropped the mic on the late-night host, reports the
Centers': His Own
Apr 9, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
John Oliver's Weapon Against 'Crisis Pregnancy Centers': His Own
Late-night host says controversial CPCs 'mislead' vulnerable pregnant women, founds his own
- So-called crisis pregnancy centers have come under fire for years for allegedly using misinformation to talk vulnerable pregnant women out of having an abortion, and John Oliver took up the topic Sunday on
Last Week Tonight
. "What is happening with CPCs is that, way too often, women with unplanned...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Feds: He Hired a Hit Man, Then the Hit Man Turned on Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.