Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cruise Ship Passenger Goes
Overboard Near Florida
Apr 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Goes Overboard Near Florida
43-year-old man still missing, and Carnival says he jumped
- A passenger on a Carnival Cruise Lines ship is feared dead after going overboard near Florida. The Coast Guard has been searching for the 43-year-old man, who the cruise line says jumped from the ship, since about 12:30am Saturday, reports
. The passenger on Carnival's Mardi Gras...
3 Weeks Later, Container Ship
Still Stuck in the Chesapeake
Apr 6, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
3 Weeks Later, Container Ship Still Stuck in the Chesapeake
Officials now say they'll start taking hundreds of containers off the Ever Forward to break it loose
The Ever Given was stuck in the Suez Canal for a week. A similar ordeal for the Ever Forward, also owned by Evergreen Marine Corp., in the Chesapeake Bay has lasted a lot longer than that, and officials are now shifting strategy to get that vessel unstuck. The
Dozens Missing After
Boat Capsizes Off
Jan 25, 2022 6:04 PM CST
Dozens Missing After Boat Capsizes Off Florida Coast
Survivor said group left Bahamas Saturday night
- The US Coast Guard searched on Tuesday for 39 people missing for several days after a boat believed to be used for human smuggling capsized off Florida’s coast en route from the Bahamas. A good Samaritan called the Coast Guard early Tuesday after rescuing a man clinging to the...
Woman Falls From Carnival
Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Dec 12, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Woman Falls From Carnival Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Officials say the woman in her 20s fell from her balcony
- The U.S. Coast Guard has stopped looking for a woman who reportedly fell from a cruise ship into the Pacific Ocean near Ensenada, Mexico. Authorities searched for 31 hours, but decided Sunday morning to pause the operation until they have additional information, Petty Officer First Class Adam Stanton told...
It Appears Woman Knowingly
Drove Into Niagara River
Dec 10, 2021 9:20 AM CST
It Appears Woman Knowingly Drove Into Niagara River
Police say tire tracks in snow reportedly show entry through gap in barrier
- The woman found dead in a car near the brink of Niagara Falls on Wednesday may have ended up there deliberately. "Entry into the water appears to be an intentional act," New York State Park Police said Thursday, per the AP . The car driven by the woman in...
Man Rescued After 22 Hours
on Capsized Boat
Nov 30, 2021 8:59 AM CST
Man Rescued After 22 Hours on Capsized Boat
Unnamed 69-year-old man rescued off Japan on Sunday
- Over and over, the ocean waves battered him. And the 69-year-old man endured for 22 hours, sitting on the engine of his capsized boat in rough seas off Japan, gripping the propeller to help stabilize him. His only protection from the elements was a grey plastic sheet, which he wrapped...
Wreck of One of America's
Most Storied Ships Found
Oct 25, 2021 7:50 PM CDT
Wreck of One of America's Most Storied Ships Found
US Revenue Cutter Bear served in Alaskan waters for decades
- The wreckage of one of the most storied vessels in American history has been found in Canadian waters northeast of Boston, almost 60 years after it sank while being towed to Philadelphia. The US Revenue Cutter
, built as a sealing ship in Scotland in 1874, was bought by the...
They Fired Flares at
a $104K Search
Oct 6, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
They Fired Flares at Wedding, Triggered a $104K Search
Rhode Island men have been fined $5K each
- Two Rhode Island men have been fined $5,000 each for setting off flares near a friend's wedding reception last year—which isn't enough to cover the cost of the Coast Guard search operation that ensued. A Department of Justice release states that a search carried out after...
Coast Guard's Latest Rescue:
3 People, 2 Dogs,
Jun 8, 2021 7:37 AM CDT
Coast Guard's Latest Rescue: 3 People, 2 Dogs, Flamingo Floaty
Hollie Spence won't soon forget her 30th birthday
- Alaska's Kodiak Island may be best known for bears, but it was a huge inflatable pink flamingo that drew eyes Saturday. Hollie Spence was celebrating her 30th birthday with Nation Sega, 29, his sister Lepa Sega, 23, and Lepa's chihuahua and pug at Monashka Bay near Kodiak when...
2 Dead, 10 Missing After
Boat Overturns Near Key West
May 28, 2021 3:06 AM CDT
2 Dead, 10 Missing After Boat Overturns Near Key West
Survivors say they left Cuba Sunday
- The Coast Guard says multiple units are searching for 10 people believed to be missing in waters near Key West, Florida. Another eight people were rescued Thursday afternoon and two bodies were recovered around 16 miles south of the island, CNN reports. The Coast Guard says the cutter Resolute saw...
Lawmakers Want to Stop
Sale of Historic 9/11 Ship
Apr 29, 2021 3:35 AM CDT
Lawmakers Want to Stop Sale of Historic 9/11 Ship
Coast Guard cutter helped coordinate rescues
- A bipartisan group of lawmakers is pushing to stop the sale of a ship that played a key role in what is believed to be history's largest maritime rescue—the evacuation of an estimated 500,000 stranded civilians from lower Manhattan in the hours after the 9/11 attacks. The...
Rescue by US, Canadian Coast
Guards Was, in a Word, Crazy
Mar 4, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Rescue by US, Canadian Coast Guards Was, in a Word, Crazy
31 rescued from Nova Scotia fishing vessel amid dark, stormy seas
- US and Canadian coast guard officials managed an impressive 12-hour rescue of all 31 crew members from a disabled fishing vessel off Nova Scotia over Tuesday and Wednesday, wrapping up shortly before the vessel sank. The 143-foot Atlantic Destiny was 130 miles from Nova Scotia's southwest coast when it...
After 5 Weeks on
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Trio Rescued After 5 Weeks on Deserted Island
They had a lovely bunch of coconuts, at least
- US Coast Guard officials were conducting a routine air patrol on Monday when they noticed movement on what should've been a deserted island in the Bahamas. It turns out a trio had been living on Anguilla Cay, a tiny chain of islands between the Bahamas and Cuba, since swimming...
66 Ice Fishermen
Rescued in Wisconsin
Feb 5, 2021 4:28 AM CST
66 Ice Fishermen Rescued in Wisconsin
They were stranded after massive crack opened up
- More than 60 ice fishermen were rescued in Wisconsin Thursday just before a major storm hit the area. The Coast Guard says helicopters and other rescue assets were called in after the anglers became stranded on floes in Lake Michigan near Sturgeon Bay, NBC reports. "The ice had broken...
Ominous Sign After
Fishing Boat Sinks:
Empty Life Raft
Nov 24, 2020 8:45 AM CST
Ominous Sign After Fishing Boat Sinks: Empty Life Raft
US Coast Guard searching for 4 men off Cape Cod
- The US Coast Guard is racing to find four fisherman missing off the coast of Massachusetts after their boat sank early Monday. A crew from Boston responded after an emergency radio beacon was triggered 20 miles northeast of Provincetown around 1am, per NBC News . Calls to the satellite phone on...
After a Period of Quiet, a
'Provocative' Move From Iran
Apr 16, 2020 7:25 AM CDT
After a Period of Quiet, a 'Provocative' Move From Iran
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy vessels get close to US warships
- Six US military warships conducting exercises in international waters off Iran on Wednesday were interrupted by what the US calls a "harassing" group of nearly a dozen Iranian vessels. A statement from the US Navy's 5th Fleet says that 11 Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy vessels came very...
Giant Lost Buoy Washes
Ashore in Florida
Dec 31, 2019 2:31 AM CST
Giant Lost Buoy Washes Ashore in Florida
It disappeared from SC coast in 2017
- A big red navigation buoy that bounced along Atlantic waves for two years has beached in Florida, where it's attracting a lot of attention, the AP reports. Crowds of spectators streamed to New Smyrna Beach over the weekend for a close up view and some pictures with the navigational...
First, a Name
Repeated on the
Oct 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
First, a Name Repeated on the Intercom. Then: 'Man Overboard'
Coast Guard searching for 26-year-old who apparently jumped off Carnival Dream near Texas
- Off the coast of Texas, a search is underway for a man who looks to have jumped off the balcony outside his room on a Carnival cruise. NBC News reports the US Coast Guard received a call shortly before 9pm Thursday that a Carnival Dream passenger, an unidentified 26-year-old man,...
After Dive Boat Fire
Sep 13, 2019 1:02 AM CDT
'Seaman's Manslaughter' Charges Possible After Dive Boat Fire
NTSB says all 6 crew members were asleep
- A California scuba dive boat was operating in violation of Coast Guard regulations when crew members were sleeping and a pre-dawn fire killed 34 people, leaving grieving families wondering if a required night watchman could have saved their loved ones. Thursday brought a disclosure from the National Transportation Safety Board...
Final Victim of
Dive Boat Disaster
Sep 12, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
Final Victim of Dive Boat Disaster Recovered
Coast Guard issues new safety recommendations
- The body of the only victim still missing after the Labor Day diving boat disaster was recovered by divers Wednesday, authorities say. The bodies of 33 other victims who died in the fire off California's Santa Cruz Island were recovered earlier. "The Conception Incident Unified Command is relieved...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.