Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Salt Lake City
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the Best Cities in
America for a Staycation
Jun 11, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Here Are the Best Cities in America for a Staycation
Honolulu tops WalletHub's list
- Want to save your wallet this summer and hover closer to home for some R&R? Those contemplating a "staycation" might want to check out WalletHub's latest rankings , which lists which US cities are best for such homebound holidays. The site looked at more than 180 of the...
These US Cities Are
a Runner's Paradise
Jun 3, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
These US Cities Are a Runner's Paradise
Relative to the other cities in Lawn Love's latest fitness ranking; San Francisco tops the list
- Next Wednesday is Global Running Day, and some cities are more amenable than others if you're in training to be the next Jackie Joyner-Kersee or Usain Bolt—or even if you just like hitting the pavement to burn off some stress and stay fit. Lawn Love scouted the 200...
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
Utah Bank Robber Requested
Unusual Amount of Cash
Mar 8, 2023 12:45 PM CST
Utah Bank Robber Requested Unusual Amount of Cash
Donald Santacroce allegedly demanded a single dollar
- A Utah man who desired to be sent to federal prison carried out a polite bank robbery in pursuit of that goal, police say. Per a police booking affidavit, Donald Santacroce, 65, was arrested Monday morning after allegedly handing a teller at a Wells Fargo in downtown Salt Lake City...
Utah Officials Stumped
by Antennas on Public Land
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 14, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Utah Officials Stumped by Antennas on Public Land
One theory has to do with cryptocurrency mining
- People keep putting up amateur antennas on public lands around Salt Lake City, and authorities there sound both baffled at their purpose and exasperated at having to take them down. As KSL-TV reports, they typically consist of a battery pack, solar panel, and a fiberglass antenna, and they're usually...
Looking for a Paycheck?
These US Cities Have Jobs
Jan 6, 2023 10:42 AM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? These US Cities Have Jobs
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Memphis is at the bottom
- The nation's unemployment report released Friday indicates a still-strong labor market, with 223,000 jobs added in December—above the 200,000 jobs that were expected. And with the new year upon us, many are dusting off their resumes and applying, either to break back into the job market...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
Places to Start a Career
May 16, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst Places to Start a Career
Salt Lake City is where to head
- It's graduation season, which means young adults are now earnestly seeking their first post-college jobs. WalletHub wanted to see which locations offer the best potential for jump-starting one's career, so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining two dozen-plus metrics in...
At Airport Lost and Found,
an Unusual Reunion
May 8, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
At Airport Lost and Found, an Unusual Reunion
Utah woman has her beloved taxidermy rat back in her possession
- About a week ago, KSL News in Salt Lake City ran a story about the variety of items that accumulate in the airport's lost-and-found office. As news stories go these days, it was a light piece, focused mainly on what becomes of the thousands of items travelers leave behind...
This Is the
Apr 4, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
This Is the Healthiest City in America
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Brownsville, Texas, brings up the rear
- The pandemic made many reassess the importance of staying fit, so WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities to see which are helping residents live their best wellness lives in four main categories:
(including such factors as cost of basic medicine, quality of...
Here's One Thing You Definitely
Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Apr 1, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
Here's One Thing You Definitely Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Delta passengers were told windshield had shattered before being safely diverted
- A flight from Salt Lake City to DC made an unexpected landing this week, with passengers now expressing gratitude that things didn't turn out much worse. While a statement from Delta Air Lines to ABC4 simply notes that the Thursday flight was safely diverted to Denver after a "...
He Called It a Suicide Pact.
Only His Partner Died
Feb 14, 2022 11:12 AM CST
He Called It a Suicide Pact. Only His Partner Died
University of Utah student arrested in death of girlfriend, an international student at school
- The notice posted Friday by the University of Utah was one brought with "heavy hearts," relaying news on the death of a 19-year-old international student in what appeared to be a "domestic violence situation." Now, the Salt Lake City Police Department is offering more context, announcing...
Looking for a Job?
Check Out These Cities
Jan 4, 2022 5:52 PM CST
Looking for a Job? Check Out These Cities
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's list
- New year, new career—or at least a gig that's better than the one you've got? If a more satisfying or better-paying job is on your list of 2022 goals, some cities may be better bets than others, according to WalletHub . The site looked at more than 180...
Wall Street Journal
Ranks Cities on Jobs
Apr 11, 2021 5:01 PM CDT
Wall Street Journal
Ranks Cities on Jobs
Salt Lake City is No. 1
- After a year in which the pandemic upended the economy, which cities rank as the strongest on jobs? The
Wall Street Journal
crunched factors including the unemployment rate, weekly wages, labor force participation, and change in the size of the workforce in its new analysis. In its view, the "...
Here Are the
10 Best Cities for
Jobs in America
Jan 5, 2021 11:24 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America
South Burlington, Vt., looks better than most
- The job market hasn't been great over the past year, mainly due to the COVID pandemic. As people start the new year off trying to make a fresh start, however, some locations across the country may offer better chances at employment than others. WalletHub took a look at more...
Hiker Falls 100 Feet,
Saved by Homeless People
Dec 29, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Hiker Falls 100 Feet, Saved by Homeless People
Man lands on cliff ledge, is heard by homeless individuals after 5 hours of calling for help
- A Utah hiker has a few homeless people to thank for his rescue from a cliff ledge, where he spent five hours on Sunday. The 29-year-old, who set out around 4am, was walking near the base of Ensign Peak in the foothills north of Salt Lake City when he slipped...
VP Debate Has
Oct 8, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
VP Debate Has Unexpected Guest, on Pence's Head
A fly hanging out in his hair provided a little levity; folks also worried about his red eye
- Two minutes and three seconds. No, that wasn't how long it took moderator Susan Page to rein in the candidates whenever they went over their allotted time. That's how long a clearly noticeable fly remained perched in Mike Pence's closely cropped white hair, offering what
One Phrase the Debate
Moderator Kept Having to Say
Oct 7, 2020 10:31 PM CDT
One Phrase the Debate Moderator Kept Having to Say
'Thank you': how Susan Page tried to stifle the interruptions, candidates going over their time
- It wasn't quite the interrupt-fest that the first presidential debate was , but the face-off between Sen. Kamala Harris and Vice President Mike Pence at the vice presidential debate in Salt Lake City certainly had its moments. Although the first few minutes seemed relatively calm, soon moderator Susan Page found...
Harris on COVID
Oct 7, 2020 8:56 PM CDT
Harris on COVID Response: 'Failure.' Pence: That's 'Unconscionable'
Candidates spar early on in debate on the pandemic
- The first topic of Wednesday night's vice presidential debate at the University of Utah was the coronavirus pandemic, and sparks started flying immediately between Sen. Kamala Harris and Vice President Mike Pence. Harris first criticized what she called "the greatest failure of any presidential administration in the history...
Pence, Harris Face
Off, With 'Sharply
Oct 7, 2020 8:30 PM CDT
Pence, Harris Face Off, With 'Sharply Conflicting Visions'
Vice presidential candidates debate in Utah
- As the coronavirus sweeps through the upper reaches of government, Republican Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic challenger Kamala Harris faced off Wednesday night in a debate highlighting the parties' sharply conflicting visions for a nation in crisis, per the AP . The candidates appeared on the stage in the University...
Utah Cop on Bodycam: 'It's
Going to End in a Shooting'
Sep 22, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Utah Cop on Bodycam: 'It's Going to End in a Shooting'
Officer worried about 13-year-old boy suffering mental break who 'hates cops'
- Body camera footage shows a Salt Lake City police officer firing 11 shots at a 13-year-old boy suffering a mental health episode, who responds , "I don't feel good. Tell my mom I love her." The footage released Monday shows the Sept. 4 shooting of Linden Cameron , who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.