Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Texas Mayor After Child's Death
From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'
Oct 5, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Texas Mayor After Child's Death From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'
Parents of Bakari Williams sue Arlington for $1M
The parents of a 3-year-old Texas boy who died of a brain-eating amoeba found in water samples from an Arlington splash pad he visited are suing the city. Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell are seeking at least $1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit alleging negligence at Don Misenhimer...
Dec 20, 2020 12:14 PM CST
John Wayne Bobbitt Has Another 2 Amputations
Bobbitt's right foot is now short a couple of toes
- John Wayne Bobbitt says he has undergone two more amputations, but ex-wife Lorena wasn't involved this time. Nearly 30 years after she sliced off his penis while he slept, Bobbitt had two toes amputated on his right foot amid a gruesome series of health woes. Bobbitt tells TMZ his...
Gives Birth to
Nov 29, 2020 2:55 PM CST
Infected Mom Gives Birth to Baby With Antibodies
Celine Ng-Chan's child appears to have extra protection from COVID-19
- Welcome to the world, Aldrin: Looks like you came with extra protection. Born in Singapore from a mother who'd been infected with COVID-19, the baby has antibodies against the virus, Sky News reports. "It's very interesting," the mother, Celine Ng-Chan, told the
Baptist Revival Infects
40 People—With a Twist
Jul 26, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Baptist Revival Infects 40 People—With a Twist
And 24 lifeguards have tested positive after going out to parties
- A Baptist revival in Alabama has infected more than 40 people with the coronavirus—a flare-up apparently caused by someone who exhibited no symptoms, AL.com reports. "The whole church has got it, just about," says pastor Daryl Ross, who adds that two cases were serious: "One...
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad
Mixes Across 8 States
Jun 27, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad Mixes Across 8 States
206 people have already tested positive
- Salad lovers, watch out: The FDA and the CDC are warning about an outbreak linked to certain salads sold at Jewel-Osco, Hy-Vee, and Walmart stores,
reports. Long story short, the stores are recalling garden-salad mixes made by a Fresh Express facility in Streamwood, Illinois, and other brands may...
Zac Efron Gets Sick While
Filming Eerily Named Show
Dec 30, 2019 8:35 AM CST
Zac Efron Gets Sick While Filming Eerily Named Show
Looks like actor will be OK, but he possibly got typhoid while shooting 'Killing Zac Efron'
- Zac Efron may have taken method acting a bit too far. Last month, Efron talked to
about his new reality-TV series,
Killing Zac Efron
, set to air on the Quibi short-form-content platform after it launches in April, noting, "I tend to thrive under extreme circumstances." It's...
'Being Licked by a
Dog Can Be Fatal'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 1, 2019 1:07 PM CST
'Being Licked by a Dog Can Be Fatal'
Doctors describe rare case in Germany
- A man has died of multiple organ failure in Germany, where doctors blame a lick from his own dog. The 63-year-old had been completely healthy before experiencing three days of fever and difficulty breathing. Arriving at a hospital, he was found to suffer from severe sepsis and the sepsis-associated disorder...
Hospital Warns of
After 3 Infants Die
Oct 8, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Hospital Warns of Waterborne Bacteria After 3 Infants Die
5 babies have recovered or are recovering at Pennsylvania's Geisinger Medical Center
- A Pennsylvania hospital is turning away premature babies after three contracted pseudomonas infection and died. Eight premature babies, all born at less than 27 weeks of gestation, fell ill at Danville's Geisinger Medical Center as a result of the waterborne bacteria discovered in July, reports CNN . Four were "...
Rare Blood Infections Traced
to Nurse's Alleged Opioid Theft
Aug 8, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Rare Blood Infections Traced to Nurse's Alleged Opioid Theft
Kelsey Mulvey accused of swapping cancer patients' medication with tap water
- A nurse in New York allegedly stole injectable opioids for her own use, then refilled hospital syringes with tap water in a move that caused rare infections in cancer patients, according to a new report. The report published Thursday in the
New England Journal of Medicine
notes six cancer patients...
She Fell Asleep on Her Sofa,
Woke Up With No Arms, Legs
Aug 1, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
She Fell Asleep on Her Sofa, Woke Up With No Arms, Legs
Ohio woman contracted serious infection believed to have come from dog lick
- A small cut on an Ohio woman's arm and a friendly lick from her dog led to what a GoFundMe campaign calls a "perfect storm"—and to the amputation of all her limbs. Stark County salon owner Marie Trainer's ordeal began May 10, when WJW reports...
Diabetes Drug May Cause
Infection That Destroys Genitals
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 12, 2019 12:18 PM CDT
Diabetes Drug May Cause Infection That Destroys Genitals
Researchers are concerned on link of SGLT2 inhibitors to Fournier gangrene, which can be fatal
- A certain type of drug used to treat diabetes may help manage the disease, but a new study advises physicians to look for troubling signs of a dangerous flesh-eating infection in patients taking that drug—one that could even kill. Per
, the study published in the
'Voice of Wandering
Evangelicals' Dies at 37
May 5, 2019 5:41 AM CDT
'Voice of Wandering Evangelicals' Dies at 37
Popular Christian author Rachel Held Evans dies of complications of infection and brain seizures
- Progressive Christian author Rachel Held Evans, who the
New York Times
says "gave voice to a generation of wandering evangelicals wrestling with their faith," died in Tennessee on Saturday after spending two weeks in a hospital for treatment for an infection and brain seizures. She was 37. Sarah...
Eating Bad Pork Gave Teen
Deadly Tapeworms in the Brain
Mar 29, 2019 12:50 PM CDT
Eating Bad Pork Gave Teen Deadly Tapeworms in the Brain
2 weeks after being admitted into an Indian ER, he was dead
- A teenager who went into the hospital with groin pain died because of a tapeworm infestation in his brain. The 18-year-old had gone to an Indian hospital with swelling over his right eye, and was experiencing regular seizures that caused him to fall unconscious, reports CNN . An MRI revealed cysts...
US Warship Must Stay
at Sea During Outbreak
Mar 14, 2019 7:21 PM CDT
US Warship Must Stay at Sea During Outbreak
Mumps-like infection affects 25 crew members
- A US warship has been staying at sea, not allowed to make a port call, for more than two months because of an outbreak of a viral infection among the crew. Military officials said 25 of the more than 700 sailors and Marines on the Fort McHenry have been diagnosed...
How a Toothpick
Nearly Killed Teen
in case you missed it
Feb 3, 2019 3:35 PM CST
How a Toothpick Nearly Killed Teen
Doctors were stumped for weeks in recently reported case
- He suffered from nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloody stool, and fever for almost three weeks before doctors finally figured out what was wrong. The answer may seem almost funny—but by the time the mystery was solved, it had caused an infection that nearly killed him. What was the problem?...
Her Sore Throat.
2 Weeks Later,
She Was Dead
Nov 2, 2018 11:23 AM CDT
Student Ignored Her Sore Throat. 2 Weeks Later, She Was Dead
Kansas State's Samantha Scott thought she had tonsillitis, died of a rare bacterial infection
- A top rower for Kansas State University hadn't been feeling well and suspected she had tonsillitis. But Samantha Scott put off getting medical treatment for too long, and by the time she went to the hospital two weeks later, it was too late, per
: The 23-year-old architectural engineering...
Nightmare Infection Took His
Hearing. But This, He Heard
Oct 6, 2018 12:40 PM CDT
Nightmare Infection Took His Hearing. But This, He Heard
Hayward Duresseau gets meningitis. Then, a proposal
- For Hayward Duresseau, a "terrifying" diagnosis ended in one of the happiest moments of his life. The 27-year-old had just visited San Francisco with boyfriend Kerry Kennedy in February when he grew exhausted, lost some vision, got a killer headache, and fell violently ill—which landed him in an...
Airport Health Study
Finds Surprise Risk
Sep 8, 2018 4:10 PM CDT
Airport Health Study Finds Surprise Risk
Those airport security trays are germ-laden
- Those plastic airport security trays—so convenient, so light ... so filled with germs and bacteria. So says a new study by British and Finnish scientists who found that plastic checkpoint trays harbor more viruses than any other Helsinki Airport surface, including toilet surfaces, reports the
New York Times
. The top...
Aug 14, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
Major League Player Fights Deadly Infection
Cleveland Indian Leonys Martin's organs damaged by 'life-threatening' illness, but he's on the mend
- It's going to take "weeks, not days" for an MLB player to recuperate from what's now being revealed as a dangerous bacterial infection that went after his organs—but Cleveland Indians President Chris Antonetti said the worst appears to be over for Leonys Martin. ESPN and the...
Over 400 Get Sick
Eating McDonald's Salads
Aug 12, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Over 400 Get Sick Eating McDonald's Salads
The CDC points to the parasite infection called Cyclospora
- People are continuing to get sick from a nasty parasitic infection the CDC has linked to McDonald's salads, UPI reports. The number of people hit with the
parasite rose to 436 this week, up from 395 last week, with cases clustering in the Midwest (Illinois especially) and spreading...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.