Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
No One Knows Why
Dogs Are Contracting
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 AM CST
No One Knows Why Dogs Are Contracting Mystery Illness
Veterinary laboratories are looking into canine respiratory sickness popping up in multiple states
- Veterinary laboratories in several states are investigating an unusual respiratory illness in dogs and encouraging people to take basic precautions to keep their pets healthy as veterinarians try to pin down what's making the animals sick. Oregon, Colorado, and New Hampshire are among the states that have seen cases...
What Gave Away One of
Italy's Biggest Mob Bosses
Jan 17, 2023 10:15 AM CST
What Gave Away One of Italy's Biggest Mob Bosses
Matteo Messina Denaro's sickness led cops right to a Sicilian health clinic
- In a story that seems made for Hollywood, Italian police this week captured one of Italy's most famous fugitives: Matteo Messina Denaro, who helped lead the Cosa Nostra mob syndicate even as he was on the run for the past three decades. And it was a routine, somewhat expected...
Under the Weather?
Do as Doctors Do
Jan 1, 2023 10:01 AM CST
Under the Weather? Do as Doctors Do
Advice from those in the know
- If you've been hit with a winter illness, do as the experts do—an approach made easier by the
Wall Street Journal
and HuffPost , which spoke with asked ear, nose, and throat specialists; pediatricians; and family doctors about what they turn to when they get sick. Among their advice:...
Hitler Feared Getting Sick,
per Newly Revealed Letters
Jun 6, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Hitler Feared Getting Sick, per Newly Revealed Letters
'If there is something bad, I absolutely have to know,' Nazi dictator said to doctor
- Screaming at Nazi rallies apparently does a number on your voice, and it seems to have spurred Adolf Hitler to see an ear, throat, and nose specialist for at least a decade. Now, details on letters written by that doctor about the World War II-era dictator have been released. Per...
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are
Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Jun 24, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Wildlife officials are trying to figure out what's afflicting hundreds of birds across US
- At the end of May, wildlife managers in the District of Columbia and multiple mid-Atlantic states started fielding reports about hundreds of sick and dying birds, afflicted with eye and nerve issues that couldn't be explained. Now, the mystery illness has spread to the South and Midwest, and scientists...
Metal Found in Blood
After Mystery Outbreak
Dec 8, 2020 3:09 PM CST
Metal Found in Blood After Mystery Outbreak
Indian authorities are checking water, milk supplies
- The mystery illness that has sickened hundreds of people in southern India appears to be the result of contamination, not infection. Health officials say excessive amounts of nickel and lead have been found in blood samples from at least 10 patients, CBS reports. More than 500 people have been hospitalized...
300-Plus People in
This City Hospitalized
With Mystery Illness
Dec 7, 2020 6:33 AM CST
300-Plus People in This City Hospitalized With Mystery Illness
It's not COVID that's made hundreds of Indian residents in the city of Eluru sick
- At least one person has died and several hundred more have been hospitalized in a town in southeastern India, and officials there aren't quite sure why. CNN notes that although India is second only to the United States in terms of the coronavirus cases it's had, with nearly...
US Has First
Feb 29, 2020 12:30 PM CST
US Has First Coronavirus Death
Around 83K are said to have the illness worldwide
- A man has died in Washington state of COVID-19, state health officials said Saturday, marking the first such reported death in the US. State officials issued a terse news release announcing the death, gave no details, and scheduled a news conference, the AP reports. A spokesperson for EvergreenHealth Medical Center,...
Nation Over Coronavirus
Feb 26, 2020 6:29 PM CST
Trump Addresses Nation Over Coronavirus
He chooses Mike Pence to lead US response
- President Trump held a presser about the coronavirus Wednesday as the US announced its first case of unknown origin—meaning the person had apparently not traveled abroad or come on contact with a confirmed case, the
reports. As for Trump, he's putting Mike Pence on the case....
First Baby Born
Feb 5, 2020 5:45 PM CST
First Baby Born With Coronavirus
And a guy turned a flight around by joking about the virus
- A baby in China was born with coronavirus—the first case so far of suspected mother-to-child transmission, the New York
reports. State media says the newborn's mother tested positive for the pneumonia-like virus before having the baby in Wuhan, which is ground zero for the outbreak. Chinese...
The Death Toll Rises
Feb 1, 2020 1:00 PM CST
The Death Toll Rises
The coronavirus has now killed 259 and infected over 11K in China
- China’s death toll from a new virus rose to 259 on Saturday and a World Health Organization official said other governments need to prepare for "domestic outbreak control" if the disease spreads in their countries, the AP reports. The number of confirmed cases in China rose to 11,...
New Virus Blamed for
Mysterious China Outbreak
Jan 9, 2020 4:02 AM CST
New Virus Blamed for Mysterious China Outbreak
Chinese researchers say new coronavirus found in Wuhan patients
- Health officials say SARS isn't the cause of a mystery illness that has sickened dozens of people in the Chinese city of Wuhan—but it may be a related virus. The World Health Organization says the viral pneumonia may be the result of a newly emerging coronavirus, a family...
'Mystery Illness' Hits City
Jan 5, 2020 1:30 PM CST
'Mystery Illness' Hits City
So far, 59 people in Wuhan have been diagnosed with the respiratory illness
- Looks like the Chinese city of Wuhan is ground zero for a mystery illness—but officials say it isn't a reemergence of the 2002-2003 SARS epidemic that originated in China and killed over 700 people, the
reports. So far, 59 people have been diagnosed with the viral pneumonia,...
I'm in 'So
Nov 17, 2019 12:59 PM CST
Ariana Grande: I'm in 'So Much Pain'
The '7 Rings' singer might too sick to perform
- Ariana Grande says she's "in a lot of pain" with a weirdly lingering health problem and might have to cancel upcoming gigs—even though it's "the last thing I would ever want to do."
reports that she wrote about her illness Saturday on Instagram...
Lena Dunham: No, This
Wasn't a Halloween Photo
Nov 3, 2019 3:05 PM CST
Lena Dunham: No, This Wasn't a Halloween Photo
The writer-actor has Ehler-Danlos syndrome
- Lena Dunham wants to explain her whole pajamas-and-cane look—which, sadly, had nothing to do with Halloween,
reports. "The truth is just: This is what life is like when I'm struggling most with chronic illness," she wrote on Instagram alongside a recent paparazzi pic of...
Exactly What We Thought
Jul 17, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Anorexia Isn't Exactly What We Thought
It isn't all in people's heads, according to a new study
- Turns out anorexia isn't all mental—a possible relief to people who've been blamed for having a devastating illness, the
reports. In a new study , researchers analyzed the DNA of 17,000 people with anorexia against 55,000 without, and flagged eight genes connecting anorexia with psychological...
Ebola Outbreak: Now
It's a Global Emergency
Jul 17, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Ebola Outbreak: Now It's a Global Emergency
WHO makes the announcement after virus hits city of 2M
- The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced on Wednesday after the virus spread this week to a city of two million people, the AP reports. A WHO expert committee had declined on three previous occasions to advise the United Nations...
Number of People
Getting Sick in
Their Pools Is
Jun 28, 2019 9:22 AM CDT
Number of People Getting Sick in Their Pools Is Rising: CDC
Parasites from fecal matter are more prevalent, thanks to people with diarrhea: CDC
- Summer is here, meaning pool season is here, meaning ... hello, parasite overlords? Per
, the CDC reports that each year, between June and August, there's a marked increase in the number of sicknesses from the cryptosporidium, or crypto, parasite found in "treated recreational waters." And from...
Jun 22, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
Latest Dominican Republic Sickness: a
Melissa Rycroft is recovering at home after falling ill at Nickelodeon resort in Punta Cana
- As troubling stories of mysterious illnesses and deaths in the Dominican Republic continue to mount , a familiar name to many has been caught up in the fray. Melissa Rycroft vacationed with her husband and three young children at Punta Cana's Nickelodeon resort earlier this month, and her rep tells...
Staten Island Woman
Is Latest Tourist Death
in Dominican Republic
Jun 14, 2019 1:44 PM CDT
Staten Island Woman Is Latest Tourist Death in Dominican Republic
Police are looking into the possibility of tainted booze
- By last count, six tourists had died under mysterious circumstances in the Dominican Republic over the last year or so, and now there's a seventh and an eighth. NBC News reports 53-year-old Leyla Cox of Staten Island died earlier this week at Punta Cana's Excellence resort. The family...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
New Army Sniper Is a First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.