Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hit With $15K
Fine for Obscene
Nov 27, 2021 5:30 AM CST
LeBron James Hit With $15K Fine for Obscene Gesture
This after he'd been suspended earlier in the week for hitting Detroit center Isaiah Stewart in the face
- On Friday, LeBron James was fined $15,000 for an obscene gesture by the NBA, which also warned the Lakers superstar about using profane language. James made the gesture after making a shot late in Los Angeles' 124-116 overtime victory in Indiana on Wednesday night, reports the AP . He'd...
Man Doesn't Know
His Mic Is On, Insults
Judge in Hearing
May 6, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Man Doesn't Know His Mic Is On, Insults Judge in Hearing
Liberty Mutual insurance adjuster monitoring trial via videoconference calls judge an 'idiot'
- A California courtroom became the latest venue for a hot-mic incident last month when an insurance adjuster insulted the judge while monitoring the proceedings remotely. The
reports that Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Roberta Hayashi was trying to figure out where jurors should be seated during an...
Mom: Teacher Went on Racist
Zoom Rant for 30 Minutes
Mar 31, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Mom: Teacher Went on Racist Zoom Rant for 30 Minutes
California teacher Kimberly Newman apparently thought Zoom session had ended (it hadn't)
- The mother of a Black 12-year-old boy is seeking damages from a Southern California school district after her son's teacher went on a half-hour tirade laced with racism and profanity. Katura Stokes filed a damage claim—typically a precursor to a lawsuit, per the AP —on Thursday on...
Hot Mic Picks Up Pilot
Ranting Against Liberals
Mar 26, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Hot Mic Picks Up Pilot Ranting Against Liberals
And Hyundais, in Southwest Airlines audio caught on air traffic control scanner
- Rule No. 1 of wearing a microphone: Always assume it's a hot one. A Southwest Airlines pilot found that out the hard way after his rant against liberals and a certain car manufacturer got picked up by air traffic control. Per travel site One Mile at a Time , the...
Senator's Video Appearance
at Hearing Does Not Go Well
Aug 21, 2020 10:48 AM CDT
Senator's Video Appearance at Hearing Does Not Go Well
Delaware's Tom Carper caught swearing up a blue streak at his computer after a glitch
- A senator dropped some very un-senatorial F-bombs Friday when he had a glitch with his video link. When Sen. Tom Carper's turn came up to question the postmaster general , things went south, reports the Hill . It began when the chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee...
Is a Weird
Jul 24, 2020 10:42 AM CDT
His F-Bomb Is a Weird New Baseball Problem
Curse by Joc Pederson is picked up on TV broadcast because of empty stadium
- When the Dodgers' Joc Pederson grounded out to first in Thursday night's game, he did not say "Darn it." He said another word, begins with "f," loudly, notes SFGate . Normally, this would have gone unnoticed amid the noise from a stadium packed with fans. But...
A New King of Movie
Profanities Is Crowned
May 14, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
A New King of Movie Profanities Is Crowned
Samuel L. who? Jonah Hill claims the most cussing in his movie roles
- Samuel L. Jackson is no longer the king of swearing in film. Jonah Hill was "humbled" to learn he'd nabbed the honor upon reading an article published Wednesday by the Wrap , which was based on an analysis by Buzz Bingo . The analysis found Jackson had uttered 301 profanities...
Red Flag: You
Really Want to
May 6, 2020 2:03 PM CDT
Twitter's New Red Flag: You Really Want to Tweet That?
Experiment will ask users if they actually want to put up replies with profanity, slurs
- If you've ever tweeted something inflammatory at someone and later lamented, "Maybe I shouldn't have written that," Twitter is testing a feature it hopes might prevent that after-the-fact remorse. Per Bloomberg , the social media giant is conducting what it calls a "limited experiment" that issues...
in 'Twitter Jail'
Aug 8, 2019 7:52 AM CDT
McConnell Campaign Put in 'Twitter Jail' Over Video
Team Mitch says expletive-filled protest footage led to online lockdown
- Team Mitch had another Twitter glitch . The
Louisville Courier Journal
reports the @Team_Mitch account was put in "Twitter jail" after the campaign posted a video of an expletive-filled protest outside of McConnell's Louisville home. The Monday night protest involved, among others, local Black Lives Matter leader Chanelle Helm,...
Someone Hacked These
Scooters. Now They're
Apr 25, 2019 9:38 AM CDT
Someone Hacked These Scooters. Now They're Offending People
At least 8 Lime scooters in Brisbane, Australia, have been yanked for making sexual comments
- Not your everyday electric scooter feature: a built-in voice-over that blurts out sexually charged and otherwise objectionable remarks. Gizmodo reports that's what some riders apparently got in Brisbane, Australia, where at least eight scooters from the transportation rental company Lime have already been yanked from circulation after someone hacked...
What the Heck? Theater Alters
Film Name to Hide 'Profanity'
Apr 25, 2019 8:58 AM CDT
What the Heck? Theater Alters Film Name to Hide 'Profanity'
'Hellboy' is now 'Heckboy' on marquee of theater in Dickson, Tenn.
- If you want to catch a screening of
at the Roxy 8 movie theater in Dickson, Tenn., you're out of luck. You will, however, be able to watch
That's how the theater is billing Neil Marshall's R-rated film, a reboot of the 2004 superhero flick,...
Case of the Brand That
Sounds Profane Heads
to Supreme Court
Mar 11, 2019 6:10 PM CDT
Case of the Brand That Sounds Profane Heads to Supreme Court
Erik Brunetti has long tried to get a trademark for his Fuct streetwear
- Nearly 30 years ago, Erik Brunetti, along with skateboarder Natas Kaupas, founded a streetwear company with a name that, depending on how it's said, could sound profane. They started Fuct with no major issues, save for the trademark they tried to get for the name—one that the Patent...
Hear Profanity in
City Gives OK
to Its Sign
Jan 19, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Hear Profanity in Eatery's Name? City Gives OK to Its Sign
New Hampshire's Pho Keene Great is set to open in March
- Officials in a New Hampshire city have approved a restaurant sign that initially was removed over concerns that it sounded like profanity. The name of the Vietnamese restaurant in a public building next to City Hall in Keene is a play on words, notes the AP . It calls itself by...
on 'Lean In': 'That
S--- Doesn't Work
All the Time'
Dec 2, 2018 9:44 AM CST
Michelle Obama on 'Lean In': 'That S--- Doesn't Work All the Time'
Former first lady suffers an apparently unguarded moment during book tour appearance
- Michelle Obama sold 2 million copies of memoir
in the first 15 days, and she might need to dip into those proceeds to make a donation to the swear jar. During an apparently unguarded moment Saturday night at a book tour appearance in front of an intimate crowd of...
Mom Miffed at
'Summa --- Laude'
on Graduation Cake
in case you missed it
May 26, 2018 7:50 AM CDT
Mom Miffed at 'Summa --- Laude' on Graduation Cake
Publix's online system omitted 'cum' because it deemed the word 'profane'
- Jacob Koscinski was certainly worthy of a grand graduation cake: The 18-year-old earned a 4.79 GPA in his Christian-based home-school program and is now set to head to North Carolina's Wingate University later this year on a full scholarship. But per WCIV , when partygoers got their first glimpse...
Guy Gives Aussie PM
the Finger, Gets Arrested
May 21, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Guy Gives Aussie PM the Finger, Gets Arrested
Man apparently thought Malcolm Turnbull pushed ahead of him in the bar line
- A man upset that Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was being served at the bar before him gave the PM the finger—and ended up arrested and hit with a $190 fine. The unnamed guy (police, amusingly, describe him as "an angry landscaper," per news.com.au ),...
Video Surfaces of Angry Prof
Telling Student, 'F--- Your Life'
Apr 21, 2018 2:10 PM CDT
Video Surfaces of Angry Prof Telling Student, 'F--- Your Life'
Howard Finkelstein didn't exactly hold back
- A professor's profanity-laced outburst has prompted an apology from his school and shed light on his ongoing political feud with a conservative student, the
reports. Howard Finkelstein, who teaches sociology at Brookdale Community College in New Jersey, was recently caught on video shouting "f--- your life" at...
Judge Rules on Guy
Who Yelled 'FHRITP'
Feb 20, 2018 7:21 PM CST
Judge Rules on Guy Who Yelled 'FHRITP' at Reporter
It wasn't criminal, judge says
- Since 2014 , pranksters have yelled an obscene phrase—commonly referred to by its acronym, FHRITP—at reporters in an effort to get the phrase, "f--- her right in the p----," featured live on television. (You can view the prank's history here , but be warned that the...
'We F---ed Up':
A Year in Swearing CEOs
Jan 3, 2018 10:00 AM CST
'We F---ed Up': A Year in Swearing CEOs
121 swear words uttered in conference calls in 2017
- More than any other year on record, quarterly earnings conference calls were profanity-laced in 2017, thanks to a CEO complaining his work is "stressful as s---" and another admitting "we f---ed up." Quartz searched transcripts of conference calls compiled by data provider Sentieo to determine just how...
Need Strength? Try Cursing
May 8, 2017 8:05 AM CDT
Need Strength? Try Cursing
Study finds that people perform better in physical tests if they swear
- When you need a little extra oomph during a workout, try swearing. Researchers from the UK's Keele University report via the British Psychological Society that people perform better on tests of physical endurance when they curse. Specifically, 29 people around age 21 took part in a cycling test, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.