Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Police Chase, Golfers
Trap Suspect in Port-a-Potty
Nov 17, 2023 2:14 PM CST
After Police Chase, Golfers Trap Suspect in Port-a-Potty
Golf course in the Wisconsin city of Glendale saw a bit of excitement this week
- A run-in with law enforcement drove a suspect in Wisconsin into the stinkiest hiding place he could find—both figuratively and literally. WISN reports that police in Glendale embarked on a chase Wednesday of an SUV stolen from Minnesota, which crashed into multiple cars, traffic barrels, and a guardrail before...
Former US Open
Sep 19, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
Former US Open Champ Undergoes Brain Surgery
Gary Woodland 'on the road to recovery' after procedure to remove tumor
- Less than three weeks after announcing he'd been diagnosed with a brain tumor, US golfer Gary Woodland underwent surgery to remove it Monday. "After a long surgery the majority of the tumor has been removed," read a statement shared on the 39-year-old golfer's social media accounts,...
Report: Golfers Who Rejected
Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Jun 15, 2023 11:14 AM CDT
Report: Golfers Who Rejected Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Sources say PGA loyalists will get payments to 'level up' with those who joined breakaway league
- The bitter split dubbed "golf's civil war" ended last week with a surprise merger between Saudi Arabia's LIV Golf venture and the PGA Tour and European Tour—and insiders say the peace deal will include some Saudi money for PGA loyalists who turned down enticements to join...
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters
Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Dec 21, 2022 10:40 AM CST
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Tournament to welcome golfers from Saudi-backed LIV league
- Families of victims and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks are planning to protest at the Masters this spring in response to Augusta National Golf Club's decision to allow golfers from the Saudi-backed LIV league to participate. Augusta National Chairman Fred Ridley announced Tuesday that qualified golfers from both...
Here's How Much
LIV Golf Offered
Aug 2, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Here's How Much LIV Golf Offered Tiger Woods
Between $700M and $800M, CEO Greg Norman confirms
- The new Saudi-funded golf league
wants Tiger Woods. So badly, in fact, that it offered around $800 million to the most famous name in golf. Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked LIV Golf series CEO Greg Norman to confirm the reported $700 million to $800 million figure offered to...
NTSB: Adult Was Driving
Pickup in Golf Team Crash
Jul 14, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
NTSB: Adult Was Driving Pickup in Golf Team Crash
Agency had reported the man's 13-year-old son was at the wheel in fatal collision
: A 38-year-old man was driving a pickup truck that collided with a van carrying college golf teams in Texas in March, the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday. The agency earlier had said the man's 13-year-old son was at the wheel, but DNA tests showed that wasn't...
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep
Empathy' for 9/11 Families
Jun 14, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep Empathy' for 9/11 Families
But veteran golfer will still play in LIV Golf pro league funded by Saudi Arabia
- Phil Mickelson has the "deepest sympathy" for the families of those killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks—but he'll continue to play in the professional golf league lavishly funded by the Saudi Arabian government 's Public Investment Fund. The golfer was among several pros called out by...
With This Tee-Off, World
of Golf Is in Turmoil
Jun 9, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
With This Tee-Off, World of Golf Is in Turmoil
Saudi-financed LIV league threatens to cause a major split among professional golfers
- Some big names in golf teed off Thursday in a tournament just outside London, but the resulting headlines aren't focusing on who might win or lose. Instead, they're all about how the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational has sent the world of professional golf into a tizzy. Why? The...
Golf's New No. 1 Has
Snuck Up on Everyone
Mar 29, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Golf's New No. 1 Has Snuck Up on Everyone
Scottie Scheffler was ranked No. 824 just 2 years ago
- There's a new No. 1 in the world of golf this week, but don't be surprised if you haven't heard the name Scottie Scheffler before. The 25-year-old has caught much of the golfing world by surprise as well. Reuters points out the astonishing stat that Scheffler has...
All Over Died
Mar 17, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Students From All Over Died Together Pursuing Their Passion
University of the Southwest community, family remember golfers, coach after devastating accident
- Laci Stone had a special request for her mom. The 18-year-old wanted to get tiny matching heart tattoos before leaving her Texas hometown and returning to New Mexico to finish out her freshman year at the University of the Southwest. She begged her mother, and now Chelsi Stone is glad...
After Barely Playing,
Tiger Woods Wins
$8M Golf Prize
Mar 3, 2022 10:45 AM CST
After Barely Playing, Tiger Woods Wins $8M Golf Prize
He's the first winner of the Player Impact Program
- Last year wasn't exactly a banner year for Tiger Woods' golfing career—he spent much of 2021 learning to walk again after a February rollover crash mangled his right leg so badly that doctors considered amputation. His only tournament of the year was the PNC Championship exhibition father/son challenge...
Feb 23, 2022 1:20 AM CST
Phil Mickelson Apologizes After Saudi League Comments
Pro golfer said he would consider playing for Saudi Arabia despite its record on human rights
Phil Mickelson is sorry. In a tweeted statement Tuesday, the golfer apologized for the "reckless" comments that came out last week, and insisted he has always had the best interests of golf, his peers, his sponsors, and fans of the sport at heart. "There is the problem...
He Can't Recall
Acts on Flight
Dec 7, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Golfer Says He Can't Recall Odd, Criminal Acts on Flight
Thorbjørn Olesen stands trial in London
- In a trial in England Tuesday, a Danish pro golfer was unable to explain the behavior witnesses attributed to him on a 2019 flight from Nashville to London, saying he has no memory of the trip. Thorbjørn Olesen is accused of sexual assault for touching a woman's breast,...
Golf Ball Lands in Most
Unusual Place During Tourney
Aug 21, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Golf Ball Lands in Most Unusual Place During Tourney
Hideki Matsuyama's shot on the 10th hole during Northern Trust ended up in spectator's shirt
- Some bizarre stuff has been happening on golf courses lately, and an incident Friday at the Northern Trust golf tournament at New Jersey's Liberty National Golf Course continued the streak. CBS Sports reports that Hideki Matsuyama was on the 10th hole during the tourney's second round when he...
She Used to Be
an 'Angry' Golfer.
Now, a Try
Aug 20, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
She Used to Be an 'Angry' Golfer. Now, a Try at History
Hailey Davidson, who wants to be first trans athlete on LPGA tour, is at qualifying event this weekend in Calif.
- Three years after undergoing gender confirmation surgery in 2010, Bobbi Lancaster did what no transgender athlete had done before: At the age of 63, the family physician tried to qualify for the Ladies Professional Golf Association tour. She didn't make it, but she earned international media attention and went...
Odd Incident at Scottish Open
Puzzles Rory McIlroy
Jul 9, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Odd Incident at Scottish Open Puzzles Rory McIlroy
Pro golfer looked on as fan swiped club from his bag
- A spectator was escorted from the course at the Scottish Open on Friday after taking a club from Rory McIlroy's bag. The bizarre incident took place on the 10th tee, where McIlroy was waiting to get his second round underway at the Renaissance Club in North Berwick. Widely shared...
Golf Course Triple Homicide
'Doesn't Make Any Sense'
Jul 6, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Golf Course Triple Homicide 'Doesn't Make Any Sense'
Pro Gene Siller and 2 other men were found slain on Atlanta-area course over the weekend
- "This doesn't make any sense," a member of the Pinetree Country Club near Atlanta tells CNN . Brian Katrek, who also is an anchor of SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio, was referring to the triple homicide that occurred on the club's golf course in Kennesaw over the holiday...
He Teed Off in Yellowstone,
Park Service Isn't Laughing
Jun 7, 2021 7:56 AM CDT
He Teed Off in Yellowstone, Park Service Isn't Laughing
Comedian Jake Adams faces jail time, fines over stunt
- A comedian named Jake Adams recently finished an epic road trip in which he whacked a golf ball in every state over the course of 30 days. The problem? In Wyoming, he hit a few shots in none other than Yellowstone National Park, and park officials are none too pleased....
Keeps Wie West
Jun 4, 2021 12:52 PM CDT
Crude Joke by Giuliani Keeps Wie West Motivated
It's part of why she decided not to retire
- Michelle Wie West is no longer the golf phenom who turned pro before the age of 16. She's 31 and a new mom, and after a series of injuries, Wie West was contemplating retirement, writes Karen Crouse in the
New York Times
. But you'll find her golfing this...
First Pic of Tiger Woods
Since Feb. Crash Emerges
Apr 24, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
First Pic of Tiger Woods Since Feb. Crash Emerges
Golfer posted it himself, showing him smiling and on crutches at home in Florida
- Tiger Woods is back on the green, though with an orthopedic boot encasing his leg and a dog in tow. On Friday, the 45-year-old golfer, who was in a serious car accident in late February in Los Angeles, posted the first pic of himself since the crash, showing himself smiling...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.