Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Alleged Russian Agent
Maria Butina Learns Her Fate
Apr 26, 2019 12:07 PM CDT
Alleged Russian Agent Maria Butina Learns Her Fate
She'll serve 9 more months in prison before deportation
- "I came here to better my life to get a degree," Maria Butina told a US federal court on Friday. "Now I'm a convicted felon with no money, no job, and no freedom." The Russian gun rights activist was sentenced to 18 months in prison...
Raid Migrant Caravan
Apr 23, 2019 12:46 AM CDT
Mexican Authorities Raid Migrant Caravan
Up to 500 detained in surprise Chiapas raid
- Central American migrants hoping to reach the US now carry the added anxiety of the pursued after Mexican police and immigration agents detained hundreds in a surprise raid on a caravan in Mexico's south. While their compatriots were being taken into custody Monday, hundreds of other migrants scrambled away...
ICE Deports, Then Brings Back
Husband of Fallen US Soldier
Apr 16, 2019 11:08 AM CDT
ICE Deports, Then Brings Back Husband of Fallen US Soldier
Couple's 12-year-old daughter was still in Phoenix
- The husband of a US soldier killed in Afghanistan was deported to Mexico last week, leaving the couple's 12-year-old daughter behind, before ICE reversed itself and brought the man back to Phoenix. Officers arrested Jose Gonzalez Carranza, 30, on his way to his construction job last week and deported...
280 Face Deportation
After Massive ICE Raid
Apr 4, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
280 Face Deportation After Massive ICE Raid
Protests follow arrest of 'community members' in Allen, Texas
- Numerous complaints against a Texas tech refurbishment business have led to the arrest of more than 280 employees who will now be processed for deportation. "As far as immigration-related arrests, this is the largest ICE worksite operation at one site in the last 10 years," special agent Katrina...
96-Day Church Service
Ends on a High Note
Jan 31, 2019 7:42 AM CST
96-Day Church Service Ends on a High Note
'Intended result has been achieved' as family's deportation temporarily halted
- One of the longest religious ceremonies ever recorded came to an end Wednesday in the Netherlands with a lot of clapping. Bethel Church in the Hague put an end to 96 days of nonstop worship with news that a family of refugees sheltering inside the church was safe from immediate...
High School Student's
Doodle Leads to Deportation
Jan 3, 2019 10:05 AM CST
High School Student's Doodle Leads to Deportation
Alex drew a devil with horns, the school mascot; ICE deemed it gang activity
- Alex attended Huntington High School on Long Island, and he committed three big sins in the eyes of the authorities: He once wore blue sneakers to the school, he wrote "504" on his school bag and on a school calculator, and he doodled a devil with horns on his...
Service Started at This Church
5 Weeks Ago. It's Still Going On
Nov 30, 2018 7:46 AM CST
Service Started at This Church 5 Weeks Ago. It's Still Going On
Dutch Protestant church is trying to protect Armenian refugee family from being deported
- A Netherlands church service that started before Halloween is still going on—all to keep police away from a family of Armenian refugees who have sought sanctuary there. Sasun and Anousche Tamrazyan and their three children, ages 14, 19, and 21, recently lost an appeal to stay in the country...
Woman Indicted for Trying
to Block Man's Deportation
Oct 22, 2018 1:03 AM CDT
Woman Indicted for Trying to Block Man's Deportation
Swedish woman refused to take her seat on plane
- A Swedish woman who blocked a man's deportation by refusing to sit down on a plane is being prosecuted for "crimes against the aviation law," authorities say. Elin Ersson, 21, was indicted Friday for refusing to take her seat on a Turkish Airlines flight from Gothenburg on...
US Student Stuck
in Limbo in Israel
Oct 12, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
US Student Stuck in Limbo in Israel
Lara Alqasem denied entry Oct. 2 for alleged support of Israel boycott
- An American student detained in Israel for 10 days will have to wait a bit longer to learn her fate. A judge on Thursday delayed ruling on the case of 22-year-old Lara Alqasem, a Florida resident of Palestinian origin, per ABC News . Granted the proper visa in the US, Alqasem...
Suspect in Deadly Calif.
Attacks Was Deported 6 Times
Sep 26, 2018 1:43 AM CDT
Suspect in Deadly Calif. Attacks Was Deported 6 Times
Cops say he killed 3 in attacks on homeless
- A Texas man suspected of killing three people and seriously injuring four in a string of attacks on sleeping southern California men—most of them homeless—had a long criminal history and had been deported from the United States six times, immigration officials said Tuesday night. Ramon Escobar, 47, believed...
Deported Nazi Guard
Likely to Get Off Scot-Free
Aug 23, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Deported Nazi Guard Likely to Get Off Scot-Free
German investigator cites lack of evidence of crimes in case of Jakiw Palij
- Getting booted from the US may be the only punishment to befall former Nazi prison guard Jakiw Palij. Though US authorities say he was involved in the deaths of 6,000 Jewish people at the Trawniki concentration camp in occupied Poland, the 95-year-old is unlikely to be convicted because of...
UK Backs Down
Child Chess Prodigy
Aug 10, 2018 10:52 AM CDT
UK Backs Down From Deporting Child Chess Prodigy
Shreyas Royal, 'greatest British chess prospect in a generation,' was to be sent back to India
- The UK's Home Office says that 9-year-old Shreyas Royal shows "immense promise." But that didn't stop the country from preparing to deport the chess prodigy—ranked fourth in the world for his age group and said to be the "greatest British chess prospect in a...
Judge Halts Deportation,
Warns Jeff Sessions
Aug 10, 2018 4:26 AM CDT
Judge Halts Deportation, Warns Jeff Sessions
He says AG could be held in contempt
- On learning that the mother and daughter at the center of a lawsuit before him were being deported, a federal judge called the move "outrageous" and ordered its reversal. US District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan warned Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Homeland Security officials that they could be held...
Veteran's Wife Calls Out
Trump as Family Is Torn Apart
Aug 4, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
Veteran's Wife Calls Out Trump as Family Is Torn Apart
Alejandra Juarez, 39, says goodbye to one of her daughters
- Alejandra Juarez spent a few last moments with her daughters Friday before their family was torn apart, MSN reports. Self-deporting after losing her legal battles against deportation, the wife of a US Marine spoke to the press at Orlando International Airport about President Trump: "He thinks he's punishing...
She Refused to Sit on a Plane,
Stopped a Man's Deportation
Jul 25, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
She Refused to Sit on a Plane, Stopped a Man's Deportation
Swedish student Elin Ersson bought a ticket, caused a ruckus til officials took Afghan man off
- A Swedish student took a stand—literally—against an Afghan man's deportation from her country, and it worked, at least temporarily. Asylum activist Elin Ersson learned the man was to be flown to Istanbul from Gothenburg and then on to Kabul and bought a ticket for that same Monday...
Judge: ICE Can't Deport
Pizza Delivery Guy Yet
Jun 10, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Judge: ICE Can't Deport Pizza Delivery Guy Yet
Pablo Villavicencio gets an emergency stay until July 20
- The Ecuadorian who tried to deliver pizza to a NYC Army base and ended up with a deportation order has been granted an emergency stay by a federal judge, reports NBC News . The stay gives Pablo Villavicencio relief from being returned to Ecuador until July 20, reports the AP , though...
Teen Murdered After
ICE Sends Him
Back to Mexico
Jun 9, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Teen Murdered After ICE Sends Him Back to Mexico
Manuel Antonio Cano Pacheco was 'really happy in Iowa,' mother says
- An Iowa teenager was murdered in Mexico after being returned to his birth country by the US government, CNN reports. Manuel Antonio Cano Pacheco, 19, had DACA status, a family, and worked as a mechanic while attending high school. "He was really happy in Iowa," his mother says....
ICE Detains Pizza Guy
at NYC Army Base
Jun 7, 2018 6:39 AM CDT
ICE Detains Pizza Guy at NYC Army Base
Pablo Villavicencio, who's married to a US citizen and has no criminal record, is set to be deported
- Pizza deliveryman Pablo Villavicencio says he'd delivered food to Brooklyn's Fort Hamilton many times before. But last week, the 35-year-old undocumented Ecuadorean immigrant found himself detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the US Army base. Now he faces deportation, the
New York Times
reports. CBS News and...
Cops: Flight Instructor Tried
to Deport Foreign Student
May 28, 2018 6:58 AM CDT
Cops: Flight Instructor Tried to Deport Foreign Student
Calif. man charged with kidnapping
- A flight school manager in California and his assistant have been arrested over a bizarre alleged plot to kidnap one of the students and deport him back to China. Police say flight instructor Jonathan McConkey and assistant Kelsi Hoser from the IASCO Flight Training went to the Redding apartment of...
Governor's Pardons Challenge
White House on Deportations
Mar 31, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Governor's Pardons Challenge White House on Deportations
Jerry Brown pardons 5 men who face being kicked out of country
- California Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday pardoned five ex-convicts facing deportation, including two whose families fled the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia four decades ago. The pardons don't automatically stop deportation proceedings, but they eliminate the state convictions federal authorities based their deportation decisions on. That gives gives the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.