Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alleged Pelosi Attacker
May Be Deported
Nov 4, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Alleged Pelosi Attacker May Be Deported
Canadian David DePape was in US illegally after traveling legally here in 2008
- The man suspected of attacking Paul Pelosi , the 82-year-old husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, last Friday isn't in the United States legally, though he came here legally nearly 15 years ago. That's per Department of Homeland Security officials, who said Thursday that 42-year-old Canadian David DePape entered...
At the Border, a Milestone
on Migrant Arrivals
Sep 20, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
At the Border, a Milestone on Migrant Arrivals
There were more than 2M 'encounters' with border officials over the past year—a big first
- There were more migrant arrivals along the US-Mexico border in the past fiscal year than any other: More than 2 million people tried to enter the United States from our southern neighbor, a record achieved in the first 11 months alone. Per a document from US Customs and Border Protection,...
Texas Might Fight Ruling That
States Must Educate All Children
May 5, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Texas Might Fight Ruling That States Must Educate All Children
1982 Supreme Court case applied to undocumented students, as well
- Gov. Greg Abbott said Texas may fight a Supreme Court ruling mandating that public education for all children, including undocumented immigrants, be provided free by the states. Texas already sued the federal government over the cost of complying with the ruling, the Hill reports. That was a loss for the...
Cruz Slams Library of Congress'
New Term for 'Illegal Aliens'
Nov 19, 2021 6:43 AM CST
Cruz Slams Library of Congress' New Term for 'Illegal Aliens'
Texas senator blasts LOC for 'politically motivated' swap of term for 'noncitizens'
- Ted Cruz has no problem with the term "illegal alien," and he's miffed that the Library of Congress is moving away from it. Per the Hill , the GOP senator from Texas, along with Republican Sen. Mike Braun of Indiana, penned a nearly five-page-long letter Wednesday to the...
No More 'Aliens'
Sep 26, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
No More 'Aliens' In California
Gov. Newsom strikes 'offensive' word from state law
- California will strike the word "alien" from the books. Fresh off his recall election blowout , Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday he's signed legislation removing the "offensive" term and replacing it in state law with "non-citizen" and "immigrant," per Axios , which notes the term has...
Biden: DOJ Will Appeal
'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Jul 17, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Biden: DOJ Will Appeal 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
President renews his call to Congress for a path to citizenship for Dreamers
- President Joe Biden is planning to appeal a ruling from a federal judge in Texas. The judge sided with nine conservative states that sued to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The DACA program has about 650,000 people enrolled, and their status remains unchanged. But for now...
Crossing Rio Grande
Feb 19, 2021 4:08 PM CST
8-Year-Old Drowns Crossing Rio Grande
Storm has made trying to reach Texas even more dangerous
- An 8-year-old boy from Honduras drowned while trying to cross the freezing Rio Grande from Mexico into Texas with his family. Although they had stopped on a small island, the boy "couldn't withstand the pounding water, which covered him and kept him submerged for several meters," Mexican...
11M Immigrants to Get Path
to Citizenship Under Biden
Jan 19, 2021 6:58 AM CST
11M Immigrants to Get Path to Citizenship Under Biden
Dreamers could nab green cards in fewer than 5 years
- President-elect Joe Biden plans to unveil a sweeping immigration bill on Day One of his administration, hoping to provide an eight-year path to citizenship for an estimated 11 million people living in the US without legal status, reports the AP . The legislation, a massive reversal from the Trump administration's...
Bad News for
Jan 6, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Governor Has Bad News for Undocumented Workers on Vaccine
Nebraska's Pete Ricketts suggests undocumented meatpacking employees won't be eligible to get it
- Nebraska is where you'll find the bulk of the nation's meatpacking, so it makes sense that Nebraska is where the most coronavirus cases are popping up in meatpacking plants . What doesn't make sense to some are comments from the state's governor that suggest a portion of...
Big Question for Young
Immigrants: Now What?
Jun 19, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
Big Question for Young Immigrants: Now What?
They won a reprieve at Supreme Court, but Trump signals he'll go after DACA again
- The Supreme Court gave young, undocumented immigrants in the US reason to celebrate Thursday when it blocked President Trump's attempt to end protections for them. But one key point quickly emerged in coverage: The court decision was a narrow, procedural one, meaning this is more of a reprieve than...
In One State,
May 19, 2020 12:11 PM CDT
In One State, Undocumented Immigrants Get Virus Relief
California has the first such initiative in the US
- Undocumented immigrants in California worried they can't pay their bills during the pandemic are starting to see some relief, thanks to a $75 million assistance program that launched Monday. Each adult applicant on the Social Services website can receive $500, with a cap of $1,000 per household. The...
Feel Like Shouting
Not Smart in NYC
Oct 1, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Feel Like Shouting 'Speak English'? Not Smart in NYC
City issues ban on discriminatory rhetoric like 'illegal alien,' threatening to call ICE to harass
- New York City is cracking down on xenophobia, with new guidelines that ban calling people "illegal aliens" in an attempt to "demean, humiliate, or harass" them; threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement in an attempt to discriminate; or telling anyone to "speak English" or "go...
Letter Sent by Texas Governor
Day Before El Paso Is Published
Aug 23, 2019 6:53 AM CDT
Letter Sent by Texas Governor Day Before El Paso Is Published
Aug. 2 letter cited undocumented immigrants
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other high-profile Republicans in the state have "faced increasing scrutiny over their anti-immigrant language" in the aftermath of the El Paso mass shooting, observes the
. Some of that scrutiny is now turning to an "urgent" fundraising letter from Abbott that was dated...
Did He Help or
The Jury Is Hung
Jun 12, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Did He Help or Harbor Migrants? The Jury Is Hung
Scott Warren is in the clear—for now
- An Arizona man says he helped two migrants out of the kindness of his heart. Federal prosecutors say he conspired to transport the men while shielding them from Border Patrol agents. And jurors can't decide who they believe. The case, in which 36-year-old geography teacher Scott Warren faced up...
District Fires Teacher Who
Reported Students to Trump
Jun 5, 2019 3:38 AM CDT
District Fires Teacher Who Reported Students to Trump
Texas teacher thought her tweets were private
- Fort Worth high school English teacher Georgia Clark thought she was sending private messages to President Trump when she asked him to remove the "illegals" in the public school system—but the Twitter messages were public, and she has now lost her job over them. The Fort Worth Independent...
Feds Accused of
Covering Up Death
of Migrant Girl, 10
May 23, 2019 12:23 AM CDT
Feds Accused of Covering Up Death of Migrant Girl, 10
Salvadoran girl died in September last year
- House lawmakers grilled acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan Wednesday about the deaths of five migrant children in US custody in recent months—but it later emerged that the real number was six. In a previously unreported case, a 10-year-old girl from El Salvador with a history of heart defects...
ICE Set Up a Fake College.
Then Came the Arrests
Jan 31, 2019 8:57 AM CST
ICE Set Up a Fake College. Then Came the Arrests
The 'University of Farmington' was used to nab recruiters of undocumented immigrants
- A federal indictment unsealed Wednesday names eight suspects accused of "harboring aliens for profit"—and it was a phony university set up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement that nabbed them. NBC News reports on the fake "University of Farmington," which set up shop in 2015 near...
Trump Worker Will
Be at His SOTU
Jan 31, 2019 7:22 AM CST
Undocumented Trump Worker Will Be at His SOTU
Victorina Morales will attend as special guest of NJ Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman
- Victorina Morales figured she'd be fired after speaking to the
New York Times
last month about working as an undocumented immigrant for one of President Trump's golf resorts. Morales now tells the
she's not sure she ever was let go; she simply stopped going to work...
Ann Coulter Has
Been on Trump's
Jan 22, 2019 7:13 AM CST
Ann Coulter Has Been on Trump's Case. Huckabee Pushes Back
'Let her run for office,' former Arkansas governor says
- Ann Coulter used to be an enthusiastic supporter of President Trump, but as time has gone on and the border wall he campaigned on hasn't been built, that enthusiasm has waned , with her criticism of him picking up in recent weeks . "100 miles of border wall in exchange...
Report: Trump's Border Wall
Plan Has a Major Gap
Jan 17, 2019 6:08 AM CST
Report: Trump's Border Wall Plan Has a Major Gap
Most undocumented immigrants enter US legally, then overstay
- A new report from the Center for Migration Studies highlights a major flaw in President Trump's plan to curb illegal immigration with a border wall: Most undocumented immigrants arrive legally and overstay their visas. The center says that in 2016-2017, overstayers accounted for 62% of newly arrived undocumented immigrants,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.