Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Has 'Oh S---' Moment
Over Pa. Senate Candidate
May 13, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
GOP Has 'Oh S---' Moment Over Pa. Senate Candidate
Kathy Barnette, surging in polls, makes some Republicans nervous with controversial history
- The race between Pennsylvania Republicans for Pat Toomey's seat in the US Senate had seemed to narrow down to two men: TV doctor Mehmet Oz and Army vet David McCormick. But as these two candidates have been going after each other with vitriolic TV ads, another candidate has had...
Mar 29, 2022 12:56 AM CDT
Beer Heiress Enters Missouri Senate Race
As Republicans continue pushing Eric Greitens to drop out
- Anheuser-Busch beer heiress Trudy Busch Valentine on Monday filed to run for US Senate as a Democrat in Missouri, the AP reports. Valentine’s entrance to the race comes days after Republican candidate Eric Greitens was accused of physically assaulting members of his family, which added fresh urgency to a...
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot,
Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Feb 10, 2022 6:12 PM CST
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot, Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Louisiana's Gary Chambers Jr. is making waves despite limited budget
- A Louisiana candidate for the US Senate is making waves with his ads, which show him smoking marijuana and burning the Confederate flag. Baton Rouge community activist Gary Chambers Jr.—who had a viral moment in 2020 when he called out a school board member for online shopping during...
Amy McGrath's First 24 Hours
Were Extremely Lucrative
Jul 10, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Amy McGrath's First 24 Hours Were Extremely Lucrative
When it comes to Democratic Senate candidates, the most lucrative ever
- On Tuesday, Democrat Amy McGrath announced she was going toe-to-toe with Mitch McConnell. On Wednesday, her campaign announced it pulled in $2.5 million in the first 24 hours—a record for a Democratic Senate campaign by a long shot. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee says the previous record-holder was...
to Share It
Feb 28, 2019 6:39 AM CST
Beto O'Rourke's Big Decision: He's 'Excited' to Share It
Former Texas congressman says he'll let us know about his political future 'soon'
- Texas constituents may be disappointed to hear that, after trying to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz in 2018, Beto O'Rourke won't be trying the same against Sen. John Cornyn in 2020. That's what sources said to be "close" to the former Democratic congressman told the
He Once Set His
Sights on Stars.
Now, the Senate
Feb 12, 2019 9:10 AM CST
He Once Set His Sights on Stars. Now, the Senate
Retired astronaut Mark Kelly to run for US Senate out of Arizona
- Retired astronaut Mark Kelly has announced his "next mission"—and it's an ambitious, albeit earthbound, one. "I care about people. I care about the state of Arizona. I care about this nation. So because of that, I've decided I'm launching a campaign for the...
All Eyes on Mississippi
and Last Election of 2018
Nov 27, 2018 10:35 AM CST
All Eyes on Mississippi and Last Election of 2018
Can Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith hold off Democrat Mike Espy?
- Will it be 53-47 or 52-48? The last election of 2018 will determine the Republican advantage in the Senate next year. GOP incumbent Cindy Hyde-Smith is trying to fend off Democratic challenger Mike Espy in Mississippi in Tuesday's special election. As Politico reports, Hyde-Pierce has never trailed in the...
He Pushes Back
May 7, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Gives Blankenship a Thumbs-Down, He Pushes Back
'I am Trumpier than Trump and this morning proves it,' says WV Senate candidate
- President Trump is urging West Virginia voters to reject a former federal convict and coal baron running in the Republican Senate primary, arguing that Don Blankenship would lose the general election. Trump tweeted on Monday: "To the great people of West Virginia we have, together, a really great chance...
Latest to Call
for Moore to
Nov 14, 2017 11:25 AM CST
Latest to Call for Moore to Exit Race: Paul Ryan
As pastors distance themselves from letter Moore's wife posted
- A day after the Senate majority leader called for Republican Roy Moore to exit the Senate race in Alabama, the House speaker is doing the same. "He should step aside," Paul Ryan told CNN Tuesday. "Number one, these allegations are credible. Number two, if he cares about...
Locals Say Moore Was Banned
From Mall for Harassing Girls
Nov 14, 2017 6:21 AM CST
Locals Say Moore Was Banned From Mall for Harassing Girls
Despite denial, he appears to have signed latest accuser's yearbook
- After a woman came forward to accuse Roy Moore of sexually assaulting her when she was a 16-year-old waitress, he issued another denial, saying he didn't know her or the restaurant she worked in—but her yearbook appears to tell a different story. Beverly Young Nelson showed reporters a...
Was Beaten in
May 10, 2016 8:57 AM CDT
WVa Senate Candidate: I Was Beaten in Political Attack
Suspect arrested in assault on Democrat Richard Ojeda
- Politics can be rough stuff, but for one West Virginia Senate candidate it got downright violent. Authorities say retired Army officer Richard Ojeda, a Democrat running in Tuesday's primary, was brutally beaten by a man wearing brass knuckles at a political cookout on Sunday, the AP reports. Per the...
Libertarian Senate Hopeful
in Iowa Killed in Plane Crash
Oct 14, 2014 5:39 PM CDT
Libertarian Senate Hopeful in Iowa Killed in Plane Crash
Doug Butzier crashes his small plane near airport
- The Libertarian candidate in Iowa's closely watched Senate race next month is dead after he crashed his single-engine plane near an airport in Dubuque last night, reports the
Des Moines Register
. Doug Butzier, a 59-year-old emergency room physician, was killed as he came in for a second attempt to...
Anti-Semitic Neo-Nazi Running for US Senate
Sep 19, 2014 2:00 PM CDT
Anti-Semitic Neo-Nazi Running for US Senate
Robert Ransdell plans mainstream radio spots for Kentucky race
- November's Senate race in Kentucky is between Mitch McConnell and Democratic challenger Alison Lundergan Grimes. But write-in candidate Robert Ransdell is now making headlines because he happens to be a neo-Nazi who runs on the slogan, "With Jews We Lose," reports the
. Ransdell isn't content...
Feb 23, 2014 2:37 PM CST
Senate Hopeful's Photos Feature Corpses, Jokes
Dr. Milton Wolf of Kansas mocks x-rays of gunshot victims
- A Kansas candidate for US Senate is acknowledging a "mistake" following reports he posted grisly X-rays on Facebook and joked about them. The now-removed images allegedly posted by radiologist Milton Wolf featured gun victims, one of whom suffered decapitation, the
reports. "One of my all-time favorites,...
Yep, I'm Running
Jun 8, 2013 10:54 AM CDT
Cory Booker: Yep, I'm Running
Newark mayor says he wants Senate seat in New Jersey
- Newark Mayor Cory Booker surprised precisely nobody today by formally announcing that he's running for New Jersey's open Senate seat, reports Politico . “I’m here today because I know who we are, and what we are capable of,” he declared. The move was so expected that...
Mar 27, 2013 4:32 PM CDT
Ashley Judd: I'm Not Running for Senate
Actress tweets that she won't take on Mitch McConnell after all
- Karl Rove won't have Ashley Judd to kick around anymore. The actress tweeted today that she will not run for Senate in Kentucky this fall. Judd thanked all those who had encouraged her in recent months, but "after serious and thorough contemplation, I realize that my responsibilities &...
Geraldo: I Might Run for Senate
Jan 31, 2013 5:35 PM CST
Geraldo: I Might Run for Senate
Rivera says he's 'truly' considering a run in New Jersey
- None other than Geraldo Rivera says he's considering a run for US Senate in New Jersey. "Buckle your seat belts!" said Rivera as he announced on his radio show on WABC-AM in New York that he is "truly contemplating" a Senate bid. He said he has...
Dec 20, 2012 10:38 AM CST
Cory Booker: I'm Exploring Senate Run
Newark mayor looks to replace fellow Dem Frank Lautenberg in 2014
- Cory Booker has made his decision : The popular Newark mayor will explore a run for the Senate, he announced today. "Let there be no doubt: I will complete my full second term as mayor of Newark, New Jersey," Booker says in a YouTube video and website post today....
Wants to Ban
Oct 25, 2012 1:06 PM CDT
Wants to Ban Abortion for Rape Victims
It's not just Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock: William Saletan
- Don't be fooled: It's not just the fringes of the Republican party that oppose abortion rights for rape victims. In fact, at least 12 of the 28 nonincumbent Republican Senate candidates would ban abortion, even in cases of rape, writes William Saletan at Slate . "That’s a...
New Senate Run
Sep 17, 2012 5:33 AM CDT
O'Donnell Mulls New Senate Run
Controversial Tea Partier talking about a comeback in 2014
: Delaware Tea Partier Christine O'Donnell is making noises about running for Senate again in 2014, thus ensuring that race would be at least as entertaining as her first unsuccessful run in 2010. "I think I owe that to my supporters, to at least consider a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
10-Year-Old Survivor Describes Shooting
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.