Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Detroit Sues Census Bureau:
Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
Sep 20, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Detroit Sues Census Bureau: Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
City says agency is undercounting its residents
- Detroit sued the US Census Bureau on Tuesday over population estimates from last year that show the city lost an additional 7,100 residents, opening another front against the agency in a battle over how its people have been counted in the past two years. Mayor Mike Duggan told reporters...
A Demographic Shift
Underway for Black Americans
Mar 14, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
A Demographic Shift Underway for Black Americans
The AP explores a movement from bigger cities to smaller ones
- Brandon Manning and his wife were both born in the South and had been itching to return, but Manning didn't want to go back to his native Atlanta because of the traffic, housing costs, and sprawl. So, when he was offered a job teaching at Texas Christian University in...
2020 Census: Here Are
the 10 Biggest US Cities
Aug 13, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
2020 Census: Here Are the 10 Biggest US Cities
All the cities on this list grew over the past decade
- Data from the 2020 census is out, and for the first time, each of the 10 largest US cities have 1 million people or more . Per the Census Bureau , those urban centers all grew from 2010 to last year, and eight of those 10 grew at a faster rate in...
Reversing Childbirth Policies
Jun 18, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
China Considers Reversing Childbirth Policies
Leaders may go from limiting family size to encouraging population growth
- After being told by their government for more than 40 years how many children they can have, the people of China are close to regaining the freedom to decide themselves. The trends in population and birth rate are so worrisome to the nation's rulers that they're working on...
This Country Just Saw Its
First-Ever Population Drop
Jan 4, 2021 10:25 AM CST
This Country Just Saw Its First-Ever Population Drop
South Korea had more deaths than births in 2020, and the pandemic likely made things worse
- For the first time ever, South Korea's population has seen a downturn, with the decline likely exacerbated by the pandemic. Census figures reported by Yonhap show a count of 51,829,023 at year's end, a nearly 21,000 drop from 2019, per the
. The population had...
If We Can't Solve This Problem,
Our Species 'Disappears'
Jul 16, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
If We Can't Solve This Problem, Our Species 'Disappears'
Experts predict crash in births will force societal overhaul
- Experts say we'll need to "reorganize societies" to respond to a "jaw-dropping" decrease in the number of Earthlings being born. To keep a steady population, a woman needs to have 2.1 children on average so as to account for infant mortality and childless women. Women were...
In China, a 'Slow, Painful,
Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
In China, a 'Slow, Painful, Creeping Genocide'
AP report: Country is systematically forcing birth control on Uighurs to cut down Muslim population
- The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children. While individual women have spoken out before about...
New Stat Hints at
Jan 17, 2020 9:42 AM CST
New Stat Hints at a 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Low birth rate, low death rate in China has researchers, economists there worried
- There's a "looming crisis" brewing in China, one the
New York Times
says could eventually have a "seismic effect." Per the country's National Bureau of Statistics, about 14.6 million babies were born there last year, an almost 4% drop from 2018. It's the...
Hungary to Women: Have 4
Kids, Pay No More Income Tax
Feb 11, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Hungary to Women: Have 4 Kids, Pay No More Income Tax
Proposal comes from anti-immigration leader Viktor Orban
- Hungary's government is greatly increasing financial aid and subsidies for families with several children, the country's prime minister said Sunday. The measures announced by Viktor Orban during his state-of-the-nation speech are meant to encourage women to have more children and reverse Hungary's population decline, per the AP...
China Faces New
Jan 6, 2019 5:10 PM CST
China Faces New Population Crisis
A Chinese government study has a dire prediction
- At 1.41 billion people, China is worried about its population. A Chinese government report says the nation will likely peak at 1.44 billion people in 2029 and slide into an "unstoppable" downturn thereafter, the BBC reports. Pointing to a low fertility rate, the China Academy of Social...
Japan's New Population
Numbers Are Historic
Dec 24, 2018 3:45 PM CST
Japan's New Population Numbers Are Historic
Fewest babies born since records began in 1899
- Japanese leaders are worried about the nation's demographics , and new population figures help explain why:
The number of babies born in 2018 is estimated at 921,000, the lowest figure since record-keeping began in 1899, reports the
. That's down 25,000 from the previous
Get Ready to Golf in
City in America
Apr 6, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Get Ready to Golf in the Fastest-Growing City in America
The courses must be hopping in The Villages, Fla.
- The US population as a whole may not be spiking, but in certain cities, there's been "explosive growth." That's per 24/7 Wall St. , which examined seven years' worth of recent data from the US Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program to unearth the fastest-growing city in...
10 Fastest-Growing Metro
Areas in America
Mar 22, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
10 Fastest-Growing Metro Areas in America
St. George, Utah, takes the No. 1 spot, and it's mostly because of out-of-staters
- Residents in St. George, Utah, probably won't be surprised to learn they're living in the fastest-growing metro area in America—the constant new housing and business construction is likely a giveaway, the
notes. The region took top honors based on the US Census Bureau's newly released...
Nations Are All in
One Part of World
Jan 24, 2018 10:45 AM CST
Fastest-Shrinking Nations Are All in One Part of World
Eastern Europe, with Bulgaria in the No. 1 spot
- The number of people living in Bulgaria is expected to drop by nearly a quarter by the year 2050—and its neighbors aren't going to fare much better demographically, per UN population projections cited by Quartz . Over the next 30-plus years, Bulgaria will see its population fall from around...
10 Fastest-Growing US States
Dec 26, 2016 4:28 PM CST
10 Fastest-Growing US States
Utah's on top for percentage increase
- Compared to the 433,000 residents Texas added in 2016, 60,500 new Utahans might seem like nothing. But the figure was enough to push Utah to the top of the heap of the fastest-growing US states, based on percentage increases in population, per Census data . The top 10:
For First Time,
May 31, 2016 9:33 AM CDT
For First Time, Sweden Has More Men Than Women
Some worry this could set women's rights back if trend continues as expected
- Sweden is dealing with a surprise surplus of something it didn't quite expect: men. Per the AP , the Scandinavian country of 10 million now has more males than females for the first time since they started tracking such things in the mid-1700s, and this guy growth has been booming...
Apr 26, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
Millennials Now Outnumber Baby Boomers
And that could mean big changes in America
- For decades, Baby Boomers have been the most powerful generation in the US, driving everything from culture to the economy, CBS News reports. Well, no more. According to Pew Research , Millennials officially overtook Baby Boomers to become the biggest generation in the US this month. Numbers released by the US...
Shift Is Coming
Apr 2, 2016 2:34 PM CDT
'Unprecedented' Demographic Shift Is Coming
The old will soon outnumber the young
- In just a few years, people 65 and older around the world will begin to outnumber kids under the age of 5—"a mind-blowing demographic situation that will be a first in human history," Business Insider reports. That's the finding of a recently released US Census Bureau...
Mar 15, 2016 8:00 AM CDT
Honey Nut Cheerios Bee Disappears
It's for a good cause: to bring awareness to declining bee population
- He's known for tempting our tummies with the taste of nuts and honey, but it looks like Buzz the bee (or, at least, the northern version of him) will be taking a temporary hiatus. The General Mills mascot used in promotions for Honey Nut Cheerios will be taken off...
Town Welcomes Its
First Baby Since 1987
Jan 29, 2016 4:45 AM CST
Town Welcomes Its First Baby Since 1987
Ostana in northern Italy can now claim 85 residents
- Since the birth of baby Pablo last Friday, the hillside village of Ostana in northern Italy has rejoiced over the arrival of its 85th resident—and a remarkable arrival he is. After seeing its population drop dramatically from more than 1,000 a century ago, not a single child has...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.