Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Says World Population
Has Hit a Milestone
Nov 10, 2023 4:24 AM CST
Census Bureau Says World Population Has Hit a Milestone
United Nations estimated 8B mark was hit last year
- The human species has topped 8 billion, with longer lifespans offsetting fewer births, but world population growth continues a long-term trend of slowing down, the US Census Bureau said Thursday. The bureau estimates the global population exceeded the threshold Sept. 26, a precise date the agency said to take with...
Japan Hits a
Sep 19, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Japan Hits a Gray Milestone
Nation clocks in with more than 10% of population over age 80 for first time
- It is very, very common knowledge that the median age of Japan's population is, well, not associated with the term "spring chicken." With what the BBC reports is the planet's oldest population—the yardstick there being the percentage of people 65 or older, of which Japan...
India Milestone Is a 'Big
Moment in Human History'
Apr 15, 2023 7:40 AM CDT
India Milestone Is a 'Big Moment in Human History'
Nation is about to overtake China as most populous nation, if it hasn't already
- India will surpass China's population this month. Or maybe in July. Or, perhaps it's happened already? Demographers are unsure exactly when India will take the title as the most populous nation in the world because they're relying on estimates to make their best guess. But they know...
China Sees a Startling
Jan 17, 2023 6:29 AM CST
China Sees a Startling Demographic Milestone
Population shrinks for the first time in 60 years as young people balk at having children
- Abandoning its one-child policy and offering incentives for couples to have children wasn't enough to prevent China's population from shrinking, as it has now done for the first time in 60 years. The government said Tuesday that 10.41 million people died in 2022, while just 9.56...
Japan Offering Families
Hefty Sum to Leave Tokyo
Jan 4, 2023 2:01 PM CST
Japan Offering Families Hefty Sum to Leave Tokyo
New incentive is announced
- Japan wants to push some of its population out of Tokyo and into other parts of the country, and it's using money as a carrot. The
reports the government is making a dramatic increase to its relocation fee, which had been 300,000 yen (about $2,250) per...
Detroit Sues Census Bureau:
Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
Sep 20, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Detroit Sues Census Bureau: Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
City says agency is undercounting its residents
- Detroit sued the US Census Bureau on Tuesday over population estimates from last year that show the city lost an additional 7,100 residents, opening another front against the agency in a battle over how its people have been counted in the past two years. Mayor Mike Duggan told reporters...
A Demographic Shift
Underway for Black Americans
Mar 14, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
A Demographic Shift Underway for Black Americans
The AP explores a movement from bigger cities to smaller ones
- Brandon Manning and his wife were both born in the South and had been itching to return, but Manning didn't want to go back to his native Atlanta because of the traffic, housing costs, and sprawl. So, when he was offered a job teaching at Texas Christian University in...
2020 Census: Here Are
the 10 Biggest US Cities
Aug 13, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
2020 Census: Here Are the 10 Biggest US Cities
All the cities on this list grew over the past decade
- Data from the 2020 census is out, and for the first time, each of the 10 largest US cities have 1 million people or more . Per the Census Bureau , those urban centers all grew from 2010 to last year, and eight of those 10 grew at a faster rate in...
Reversing Childbirth Policies
Jun 18, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
China Considers Reversing Childbirth Policies
Leaders may go from limiting family size to encouraging population growth
- After being told by their government for more than 40 years how many children they can have, the people of China are close to regaining the freedom to decide themselves. The trends in population and birth rate are so worrisome to the nation's rulers that they're working on...
This Country Just Saw Its
First-Ever Population Drop
Jan 4, 2021 10:25 AM CST
This Country Just Saw Its First-Ever Population Drop
South Korea had more deaths than births in 2020, and the pandemic likely made things worse
- For the first time ever, South Korea's population has seen a downturn, with the decline likely exacerbated by the pandemic. Census figures reported by Yonhap show a count of 51,829,023 at year's end, a nearly 21,000 drop from 2019, per the
. The population had...
If We Can't Solve This Problem,
Our Species 'Disappears'
Jul 16, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
If We Can't Solve This Problem, Our Species 'Disappears'
Experts predict crash in births will force societal overhaul
- Experts say we'll need to "reorganize societies" to respond to a "jaw-dropping" decrease in the number of Earthlings being born. To keep a steady population, a woman needs to have 2.1 children on average so as to account for infant mortality and childless women. Women were...
In China, a 'Slow, Painful,
Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
In China, a 'Slow, Painful, Creeping Genocide'
AP report: Country is systematically forcing birth control on Uighurs to cut down Muslim population
- The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children. While individual women have spoken out before about...
New Stat Hints at
Jan 17, 2020 9:42 AM CST
New Stat Hints at a 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Low birth rate, low death rate in China has researchers, economists there worried
- There's a "looming crisis" brewing in China, one the
New York Times
says could eventually have a "seismic effect." Per the country's National Bureau of Statistics, about 14.6 million babies were born there last year, an almost 4% drop from 2018. It's the...
Hungary to Women: Have 4
Kids, Pay No More Income Tax
Feb 11, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Hungary to Women: Have 4 Kids, Pay No More Income Tax
Proposal comes from anti-immigration leader Viktor Orban
- Hungary's government is greatly increasing financial aid and subsidies for families with several children, the country's prime minister said Sunday. The measures announced by Viktor Orban during his state-of-the-nation speech are meant to encourage women to have more children and reverse Hungary's population decline, per the AP...
China Faces New
Jan 6, 2019 5:10 PM CST
China Faces New Population Crisis
A Chinese government study has a dire prediction
- At 1.41 billion people, China is worried about its population. A Chinese government report says the nation will likely peak at 1.44 billion people in 2029 and slide into an "unstoppable" downturn thereafter, the BBC reports. Pointing to a low fertility rate, the China Academy of Social...
Japan's New Population
Numbers Are Historic
Dec 24, 2018 3:45 PM CST
Japan's New Population Numbers Are Historic
Fewest babies born since records began in 1899
- Japanese leaders are worried about the nation's demographics , and new population figures help explain why:
The number of babies born in 2018 is estimated at 921,000, the lowest figure since record-keeping began in 1899, reports the
. That's down 25,000 from the previous
Get Ready to Golf in
City in America
Apr 6, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Get Ready to Golf in the Fastest-Growing City in America
The courses must be hopping in The Villages, Fla.
- The US population as a whole may not be spiking, but in certain cities, there's been "explosive growth." That's per 24/7 Wall St. , which examined seven years' worth of recent data from the US Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program to unearth the fastest-growing city in...
10 Fastest-Growing Metro
Areas in America
Mar 22, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
10 Fastest-Growing Metro Areas in America
St. George, Utah, takes the No. 1 spot, and it's mostly because of out-of-staters
- Residents in St. George, Utah, probably won't be surprised to learn they're living in the fastest-growing metro area in America—the constant new housing and business construction is likely a giveaway, the
notes. The region took top honors based on the US Census Bureau's newly released...
Nations Are All in
One Part of World
Jan 24, 2018 10:45 AM CST
Fastest-Shrinking Nations Are All in One Part of World
Eastern Europe, with Bulgaria in the No. 1 spot
- The number of people living in Bulgaria is expected to drop by nearly a quarter by the year 2050—and its neighbors aren't going to fare much better demographically, per UN population projections cited by Quartz . Over the next 30-plus years, Bulgaria will see its population fall from around...
10 Fastest-Growing US States
Dec 26, 2016 4:28 PM CST
10 Fastest-Growing US States
Utah's on top for percentage increase
- Compared to the 433,000 residents Texas added in 2016, 60,500 new Utahans might seem like nothing. But the figure was enough to push Utah to the top of the heap of the fastest-growing US states, based on percentage increases in population, per Census data . The top 10:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Serial Killer's Wife Goes on Trial for Decades-Old Murders
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.