Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Official: Noem's Daughter
Received Special Treatment
Dec 14, 2021 5:09 PM CST
Official: Noem's Daughter Received Special Treatment
She says Noem's daughter was given a third chance to obtain a real estate license
- South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem’s daughter received unusual treatment in an application for her real estate license, including an extra opportunity to obtain it after failing to meet federal requirements, the former director of a state appraiser agency told lawmakers Tuesday. Sherry Bren's testimony before a legislative panel...
GOP Governors on Mandates:
We'll Fight 'to the Gates of Hell'
Sep 10, 2021 6:25 AM CDT
GOP Governors on Mandates: We'll Fight 'to the Gates of Hell'
Republican National Committee also vows to sue over vaccine mandates
- Republican leaders had a strong reaction to President Biden's announcement of coronavirus vaccine mandates to affect two-thirds of the US workforce: "See you in court," tweeted South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem, one of several Republican governors threatening to fight back. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted "...
Tries to Follow
Sep 8, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
South Dakota Tries to Follow Texas' Lead on Abortion
Gov. Kristi Noem issues executive order with new restrictions
- South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem is tightening the state's abortion laws, starting with an executive order. An order issued by the Republican governor states that abortion-inducing medication can only be prescribed by a physician licensed in South Dakota after an in-person examination; further, the medication must be collected in...
Roar Into Sturgis
Aug 7, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Virus-Defying Bikers Roar Into Sturgis
Rally begins, possibly drawing more people taking fewer virus precautions than last year
- The South Dakota city of Sturgis, host of the famed annual motorcycle rally, is offering coronavirus tests, masks, and hand sanitizer to the hundreds of thousands of bikers rolling into town. But none of that is a conversation starter. "People here don't want to talk about COVID,"...
Donor Pays for State
to Send Troops to Border
Jun 29, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Donor Pays for State to Send Troops to Border
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem announces National Guard deployment
- South Dakota National Guard troops are being sent to Texas to help "secure" the border with Mexico, says Gov. Kristi Noem, the latest GOP governor to announce a border deployment. Florida, Iowa, and Nebraska are sending law enforcement officers, but Noem, a potential 2024 White House contender, says the...
SD Governor to Sue Feds
Over Rushmore Fireworks
Apr 30, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
SD Governor to Sue Feds Over Rushmore Fireworks
National Parks Service rejected Rushmore request
- Last year, then-President Trump was the guest of honor at the first Independence Day fireworks display at Mount Rushmore since 2009. South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem wants the display to happen again this year—and she's planning to sue the Biden administration to get it. The Republican governor told...
Wildfires Force Closing
of Mount Rushmore
Mar 30, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
Wildfires Force Closing of Mount Rushmore
High winds complicate crews' efforts in South Dakota
- Three separate wildfires in the Black Hills of South Dakota have forced evacuations of more than 400 homes northwest of Rapid City and shut down Mount Rushmore, authorities said Monday. A fire that started near Schroeder Road in the Nemo area, about 15 miles northwest of Rapid City, had burned...
Fix' on Transgender
Mar 30, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
SD Governor Issues 'Temporary Fix' on Transgender Sports Issue
Kristi Noem signs 2 executive orders banning transgender girls playing at high school, college levels
- South Dakota's governor rolled out a "temporary fix" to what she deems unfairness in sports Monday night, issuing two executive orders that ban transgender girls and women from playing in sports designated for girls. Per the
, Kristi Noem had at first vetoed a measure that would'...
Report Hints at Big Change
if Trump Runs in 2024
Mar 4, 2021 11:17 AM CST
Report Hints at Big Change if Trump Runs in 2024
Bloomberg reports former president is talking about ditching Mike Pence
- Donald Trump is dropping hints about a possible run in 2024, but he's not saying for sure. Now Bloomberg reports that while the president is "strongly considering" the possibility, he's also talking privately about finding a replacement for Mike Pence. The story is based on anonymous insiders...
Trump Wins CPAC Straw Poll
Mar 1, 2021 12:34 AM CST
Trump Wins CPAC Straw Poll
Former president gets 55% of the vote
- Who does CPAC want to win the presidential election in 2024? The same person who won it in 2016. Former President Trump on Sunday won the Conservative Political Action Conference straw poll, with 55% of respondents saying that if the election were held today, they'd vote for him. Coming...
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in
State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Feb 24, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Jason Ravnsborg now facing possible impeachment in South Dakota
- "His face was in your windshield, Jason." That was among the commentary that South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg had to contend with during two interviews with law enforcement days after the Sept. 12 crash in which he struck and killed a pedestrian. Gov. Kristi Noem released videos...
Dec 20, 2020 8:12 AM CST
Lawmaker Leaves His Vaccination Up to Constituents
Saying both sides have good points, Rep. Dusty Johnson posts a poll online
- Mike Pence has already had his coronavirus vaccination. Gov. Kristi Noem won't get the shot until sometime next year. US Rep. Dusty Johnson, another South Dakota Republican, is undecided, the
reports. So he's asking the people of his district—which is the entire state—to help...
He Says He Thought He Hit
a Deer, but a Body Was Found
Sep 14, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
He Says He Thought He Hit a Deer, but a Body Was Found
South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg's collision is under investigation
- South Dakota's attorney general called 911 Saturday night to say that he'd struck a deer on a local highway, per his office. As it turns out, AG Jason Ravnsborg fatally struck a 55-year-old pedestrian whose body wasn't found until the following morning, reports the
Rapid City Journal
WH Aide: How Do We Add
Trump to Mt. Rushmore?
Aug 8, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
WH Aide: How Do We Add Trump to Mt. Rushmore?
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem knew Trump wanted to be up there
- Little question: How exactly does one get a face added to Mount Rushmore? That was a White House aide's query to the office of South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem last year, a Republican official tells the
New York Times
. The question wasn't new—Trump had asked Noem about...
Governor: 'We Will Not
Be Social Distancing'
at Mt. Rushmore
Jun 30, 2020 6:39 PM CDT
Governor: 'We Will Not Be Social Distancing' at Mt. Rushmore
Masks will be optional at July 3 event
- Masks and other measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus will be completely optional at the July 3 Independence Day event at Mount Rushmore, and those who have concerns have the option of staying home, South Dakota's Republican governor says. "Those who want to come and join...
SD Governor Vows to
Protect Mount Rushmore
Jun 24, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
SD Governor Vows to Protect Mount Rushmore
It won't be blown up 'on my watch,' Noem says
- South Dakota's Republican governor has, unsurprisingly, confirmed that she won't allow Mount Rushmore to be dynamited. "Not on my watch," Gov. Kristi Noem said when conservative commentator Ben Shapiro asked in a tweet : "So, when is our woke historical revisionist priesthood going to insist on...
This Could Be First Live
Sporting Event in a Month
Apr 23, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
This Could Be First Live Sporting Event in a Month
Hundreds to gather in SD for weekend motor races
- In what is perhaps the first live sporting event in a month in the US, hundreds of people are set to gather for motor races this weekend in South Dakota. That state lacks a stay-at-home order, and two Jefferson tracks will welcome race-lovers. The Park Jefferson Speedway, with a capacity...
Order. Now, a
Virus Hot Spot
Apr 16, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Governor Opposed Stay-at-Home Order. Now, a Virus Hot Spot
644 COVID-19 cases tied to Smithfield Foods meat plant in Sioux Falls, SD
- The shuttered Smithfield Foods pork plant in Sioux Falls, SD, is now the largest single source of coronavirus cases in the country. Eighty more employees were confirmed to have COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the employee total to 518. State health officials say another 126 people who had contact with an...
Mar 24, 2020 9:44 PM CDT
Governors Dismiss 'Imaginary Clock'
Trump steps back slightly from Easter goal for ending coronavirus shutdown
- Governors on Tuesday said they weren't buying into President Trump's desired timeline for getting Americans out of the house and working again. Trump had said earlier in the day he'd like the shutdown to end by Easter. He backed away slightly from that in a press briefing...
to Keep an Eye On
Jan 5, 2011 7:47 AM CST
10 Freshmen to Keep an Eye On
Class of 2010 is full of characters
- There will be plenty of fresh faces in Washington today. But which ones matter most? The
selects 10 freshman legislators to keep an eye on:
Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-NH:
One of Sarah Palin's "mama grizzlies," Ayotte defeated a Tea Partier to become the only woman elected
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.