Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Strong Contender Emerges
to Be Trump's VP Pick
Sep 8, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
Strong Contender Emerges to Be Trump's VP Pick
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem enters the conversation
- Former President Trump is headed to South Dakota for a GOP fundraiser on Friday, and sources say that Gov. Kristi Noem is expected to offer her endorsement then for Trump's reelection run— a move that "most other Republican governors have been reluctant to make so far," per...
South Dakota's Kristi Noem
Is in a Ben & Jerry's Feud
Jul 7, 2023 10:56 AM CDT
South Dakota's Kristi Noem Is in a Ben & Jerry's Feud
Ice cream makers say Mount Rushmore should go back to Indigenous people, but governor disagrees
- One political fight emerged over the July 4th holiday, and it's still percolating. After ice cream makers Ben & Jerry's called for the return of Mount Rushmore to Indigenous people, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem fired back on Fox News . "I'm not going to listen to...
Guilty Plea in Prank Call Case
Using SD Governor's Number
May 10, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Guilty Plea in Prank Call Case Using SD Governor's Number
Ex-reporter Austin Goss made a phone call from Gov. Kristi Noem's cell phone
- Austin Goss, a 26-year-old former reporter with Dakota News Now, pleaded guilty Tuesday to disorderly conduct, reports the
. In doing so, he copped to using South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem's personal cell number to make a prank call to South Dakota's former Republican Party chair, Dan...
SD Governor Bans
TikTok From State Devices
Nov 30, 2022 3:27 PM CST
SD Governor Bans TikTok From State Devices
Kristi Noem's office cites 'growing national security threat' posed by Chinese-owned app
- TikTok is now an app non grata on state-owned and state-leased devices in South Dakota. Republican Gov. Kristi Noem signed an executive order Tuesday blocking use of the popular social media app, the
Sioux Falls Argus-Leader
reports. TikTok downloads and use of the app or the TikTok website are now...
Ethics Board: Noem May Have
'Engaged in Misconduct’
Aug 22, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Ethics Board: Noem May Have 'Engaged in Misconduct’
Complaint has been referred to South Dakota AG's office
- A South Dakota ethics board said Monday it found sufficient information that Gov. Kristi Noem may have "engaged in misconduct" when she intervened in her daughter’s application for a real estate appraiser license that it could take action against her. The three retired judges on the Government Accountability...
Official: Noem's Daughter
Received Special Treatment
Dec 14, 2021 5:09 PM CST
Official: Noem's Daughter Received Special Treatment
She says Noem's daughter was given a third chance to obtain a real estate license
- South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem’s daughter received unusual treatment in an application for her real estate license, including an extra opportunity to obtain it after failing to meet federal requirements, the former director of a state appraiser agency told lawmakers Tuesday. Sherry Bren's testimony before a legislative panel...
GOP Governors on Mandates:
We'll Fight 'to the Gates of Hell'
Sep 10, 2021 6:25 AM CDT
GOP Governors on Mandates: We'll Fight 'to the Gates of Hell'
Republican National Committee also vows to sue over vaccine mandates
- Republican leaders had a strong reaction to President Biden's announcement of coronavirus vaccine mandates to affect two-thirds of the US workforce: "See you in court," tweeted South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem, one of several Republican governors threatening to fight back. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted "...
Tries to Follow
Sep 8, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
South Dakota Tries to Follow Texas' Lead on Abortion
Gov. Kristi Noem issues executive order with new restrictions
- South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem is tightening the state's abortion laws, starting with an executive order. An order issued by the Republican governor states that abortion-inducing medication can only be prescribed by a physician licensed in South Dakota after an in-person examination; further, the medication must be collected in...
Roar Into Sturgis
Aug 7, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Virus-Defying Bikers Roar Into Sturgis
Rally begins, possibly drawing more people taking fewer virus precautions than last year
- The South Dakota city of Sturgis, host of the famed annual motorcycle rally, is offering coronavirus tests, masks, and hand sanitizer to the hundreds of thousands of bikers rolling into town. But none of that is a conversation starter. "People here don't want to talk about COVID,"...
Donor Pays for State
to Send Troops to Border
Jun 29, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Donor Pays for State to Send Troops to Border
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem announces National Guard deployment
- South Dakota National Guard troops are being sent to Texas to help "secure" the border with Mexico, says Gov. Kristi Noem, the latest GOP governor to announce a border deployment. Florida, Iowa, and Nebraska are sending law enforcement officers, but Noem, a potential 2024 White House contender, says the...
SD Governor to Sue Feds
Over Rushmore Fireworks
Apr 30, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
SD Governor to Sue Feds Over Rushmore Fireworks
National Parks Service rejected Rushmore request
- Last year, then-President Trump was the guest of honor at the first Independence Day fireworks display at Mount Rushmore since 2009. South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem wants the display to happen again this year—and she's planning to sue the Biden administration to get it. The Republican governor told...
Wildfires Force Closing
of Mount Rushmore
Mar 30, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
Wildfires Force Closing of Mount Rushmore
High winds complicate crews' efforts in South Dakota
- Three separate wildfires in the Black Hills of South Dakota have forced evacuations of more than 400 homes northwest of Rapid City and shut down Mount Rushmore, authorities said Monday. A fire that started near Schroeder Road in the Nemo area, about 15 miles northwest of Rapid City, had burned...
Fix' on Transgender
Mar 30, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
SD Governor Issues 'Temporary Fix' on Transgender Sports Issue
Kristi Noem signs 2 executive orders banning transgender girls playing at high school, college levels
- South Dakota's governor rolled out a "temporary fix" to what she deems unfairness in sports Monday night, issuing two executive orders that ban transgender girls and women from playing in sports designated for girls. Per the
, Kristi Noem had at first vetoed a measure that would'...
Report Hints at Big Change
if Trump Runs in 2024
Mar 4, 2021 11:17 AM CST
Report Hints at Big Change if Trump Runs in 2024
Bloomberg reports former president is talking about ditching Mike Pence
- Donald Trump is dropping hints about a possible run in 2024, but he's not saying for sure. Now Bloomberg reports that while the president is "strongly considering" the possibility, he's also talking privately about finding a replacement for Mike Pence. The story is based on anonymous insiders...
Trump Wins CPAC Straw Poll
Mar 1, 2021 12:34 AM CST
Trump Wins CPAC Straw Poll
Former president gets 55% of the vote
- Who does CPAC want to win the presidential election in 2024? The same person who won it in 2016. Former President Trump on Sunday won the Conservative Political Action Conference straw poll, with 55% of respondents saying that if the election were held today, they'd vote for him. Coming...
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in
State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Feb 24, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Jason Ravnsborg now facing possible impeachment in South Dakota
- "His face was in your windshield, Jason." That was among the commentary that South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg had to contend with during two interviews with law enforcement days after the Sept. 12 crash in which he struck and killed a pedestrian. Gov. Kristi Noem released videos...
Dec 20, 2020 8:12 AM CST
Lawmaker Leaves His Vaccination Up to Constituents
Saying both sides have good points, Rep. Dusty Johnson posts a poll online
- Mike Pence has already had his coronavirus vaccination. Gov. Kristi Noem won't get the shot until sometime next year. US Rep. Dusty Johnson, another South Dakota Republican, is undecided, the
reports. So he's asking the people of his district—which is the entire state—to help...
He Says He Thought He Hit
a Deer, but a Body Was Found
Sep 14, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
He Says He Thought He Hit a Deer, but a Body Was Found
South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg's collision is under investigation
- South Dakota's attorney general called 911 Saturday night to say that he'd struck a deer on a local highway, per his office. As it turns out, AG Jason Ravnsborg fatally struck a 55-year-old pedestrian whose body wasn't found until the following morning, reports the
Rapid City Journal
WH Aide: How Do We Add
Trump to Mt. Rushmore?
Aug 8, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
WH Aide: How Do We Add Trump to Mt. Rushmore?
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem knew Trump wanted to be up there
- Little question: How exactly does one get a face added to Mount Rushmore? That was a White House aide's query to the office of South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem last year, a Republican official tells the
New York Times
. The question wasn't new—Trump had asked Noem about...
Governor: 'We Will Not
Be Social Distancing'
at Mt. Rushmore
Jun 30, 2020 6:39 PM CDT
Governor: 'We Will Not Be Social Distancing' at Mt. Rushmore
Masks will be optional at July 3 event
- Masks and other measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus will be completely optional at the July 3 Independence Day event at Mount Rushmore, and those who have concerns have the option of staying home, South Dakota's Republican governor says. "Those who want to come and join...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.