Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Bannon Surrenders,
Sep 8, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
As Bannon Surrenders, Charges Revealed
Former White House strategist charged with money laundering, conspiracy in New York
- Steve Bannon has turned himself in to authorities in New York, who accuse him of stealing more than $1 million from donations meant to fund a border wall on the US-Mexico border. The allegations mirror federal charges Bannon faced before he was pardoned by President Trump. Two other men charged...
Gambling Nun to Serve Year
Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
Feb 8, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gambling Nun to Serve Year Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
'I have no excuses,' says Sister Mary Margaret Kreuper, who stole $835K from Catholic school
A California nun and retired principal who embezzled $835,000 in donations, tuition, and fees from a Catholic elementary school will now have to pay it all back and serve a year behind bars. "I have sinned, I've broken the law, and I have no excuses,"...
Olympic Medalist Charged
With $10M PPP Loan Fraud
Dec 20, 2021 7:53 AM CST
Olympic Medalist Charged With $10M PPP Loan Fraud
Speed skater Allison Baver allegedly used some of the funds to invest in an Elijah Wood film
- A Utah speed skater who picked up a bronze medal at the 2010 Olympics and participated in the two Winter Games before that has been indicted and charged with making false statements to get her hands on millions in COVID relief loans. Per a release from the US Attorney's...
PPP Fraudster Learns
'There Is No Easy Money'
Nov 30, 2021 10:15 AM CST
PPP Fraudster Learns 'There Is No Easy Money'
Texas' Lee Price III gets 9 years for wire fraud, money laundering
- A Texas man who fraudulently received $1.6 million in COVID-19 relief money, then bought a $200,000 Lamborghini and a Rolex, has been sentenced to more than nine years in prison. Lee Price III of Houston was sentenced to nine years and two months in prison on Monday after...
Money-Laundering Expert Gets
6 Months for Money Laundering
Nov 17, 2021 12:50 PM CST
Money-Laundering Expert Gets 6 Months for Money Laundering
Professor Bruce Bagley wrote several books on South American corruption
A money-laundering expert arrested after expertly laundering the proceeds of corruption in Venezuela has been sentenced to six months in prison. Prosecutors said retired University of Miami professor Bruce Bagley—who testified before Congress on money laundering—kept a roughly $200,000 commission from the scheme. The 75-year-old could...
After Scandals, Pope Revamps
Vatican's Finance Intel Unit
Dec 5, 2020 8:30 AM CST
After Scandals, Pope Revamps Vatican's Finance Intel Unit
It's part of pontiff's efforts to prevent and counter 'money laundering and the financing of terrorism'
- Pope Francis has revamped the Holy See's financial intelligence and anti-money-laundering unit following financial scandals, including an ongoing in-house corruption probe, Vatican officials said Saturday. The changes involve the governance and organization of the unit, which has been renamed the Supervisory and Financial Information Authority, or ASIF, the Vatican...
His Release Date
Was 2419. It Just
Got Pushed to Now
Nov 17, 2020 9:49 AM CST
His Release Date Was 2419. It Just Got Pushed to Now
'Stunning reprieve' from judge for money launderer Juan Carlos Seresi, serving a 505-year sentence
- A money launderer who was sentenced nearly 30 years ago to five centuries behind bars just got what CNN calls a "stunning reprieve." A Los Angeles federal judge decided he should be let out of prison ASAP. US District Court Judge Stephen V. Wilson ruled Thursday that 73-year-old...
Has Dug Up
Sep 21, 2020 4:03 AM CDT
BuzzFeed Has Dug Up Damning Bank Documents
The 'FinCEN files' show how criminals, terrorists, and corrupt leaders use Western banks
- The new Panama Papers are out, and they're just as ugly—if not worse. Leaked government documents show that big banks are laundering untold trillions of dollars for shady operators around the world and getting away with it, BuzzFeed reports. JPMorgan Chase and HSBC appear to be among the...
Biggest Lottery Winner in US
Was Swindled: Prosecutors
Aug 19, 2020 1:13 PM CDT
Biggest Lottery Winner in US Was Swindled: Prosecutors
'Lottery Lawyer' Jason Kurland charged in $107M fraud
- The "Lottery Lawyer" advertised his services while noting that many lottery winners "are not sophisticated enough" to see potential scams. "You really have to rely on the professionals," Jason Kurland told
in 2016. Now three winners who relied on Kurland have lost more than $80...
Aug 2, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Someone Tries Laundering Money—Literally
South Korean loses 'considerable' sum after washing-machine debacle
- Money laundering is not a good idea, as a South Korean found out when he or she put banknotes in a washing machine to remove possible traces of the coronavirus, the AP reports. Officials say the loss was considerable. The person living in Ansan city, near Seoul, placed an unspecified...
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts
in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Feb 22, 2020 11:30 AM CST
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday
- A once-standout US federal narcotics agent known for spending lavishly on luxury cars and Tiffany jewelry has been arrested on charges of conspiring to launder money with the same Colombian drug cartel he was supposed to be fighting, the AP reports. Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday at...
His New Wife Was 50 Years
Younger. Now, an Arrest
Dec 26, 2019 11:35 AM CST
His New Wife Was 50 Years Younger. Now, an Arrest
Lin Halfon accused of trying to swindle elderly husband in Florida
- Looks like the honeymoon is over for a Florida businessman and his new wife—because, per the AP , it looks like the young bride tried to swindle her elderly spouse. The
Tampa Bay Times
has the full story on the arrest of 26-year-old Lin Helena Halfon, who, per court records,...
Ex-Sudan Leader Sentenced
to 2 Years in Rehab
Dec 14, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Ex-Sudan Leader Sentenced to 2 Years in Rehab
Omar al-Bashir is convicted of money laundering, corruption
- A court in Sudan convicted former President Omar al-Bashir of money laundering and corruption on Saturday, sentencing him to two years in a rehabilitation facility. That’s the first verdict in a series of legal proceedings against al-Bashir, who's also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of...
Has Something to Say
Dec 1, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Loughlin's Daughter Has Something to Say
Olivia Jade Giannulli posts a fresh YouTube video
- Olivia Jade Giannulli is back on YouTube. The daughter of Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli returned Sunday with her first video —called "hi again"—since her parents were indicted in March for allegedly taking part in the college admissions scandal, TMZ reports. They're accused of paying...
Flight Attendant Tells Customs
He Has $100. It Was $9K
Oct 23, 2019 10:46 AM CDT
Flight Attendant Tells Customs He Has $100. It Was $9K
4 American Airlines flight attendants accused of smuggling $22K in cash into Miami
- Four American Airlines flight attendants have been arrested on money laundering charges after police say they flew into Miami with more than $22,000 in cash. Carlos Alberto Munoz-Moyano was the first to be checked by customs at Miami International Airport after departing the flight from Santiago, Chile, on Monday....
Found a Way
to Rob Rich
Aug 24, 2019 2:45 PM CDT
'Slick' Pair Found a Way to Rob Rich Celebrities: LAPD
Benjamin Ackerman and Jason Emil Yaselli could serve over 31 years each
- If this story's true, "slick" is really the word. Police say a Beverly Hills man and a real estate agent conspired to steal from high-end homes—including celebrities Usher and Adam Lambert—and spent the money partly on credit-card debt, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Benjamin Eitan Ackerman...
80 Charged in Massive
Love Scam Run Out of LA
Aug 23, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
80 Charged in Massive Love Scam Run Out of LA
Man named Valentine, another Nigerian citizen are accused masterminds of scheme out of California
- The feds say elderly women and businesses were the perpetrators' targets, and that they managed to squeeze at least $6 million out of their victims in what prosecutors are calling "one of the largest cases of its kind in US history." CNN reports on the arrests Thursday of...
Report: Trump, Kushner Bank
Transactions Raised Red Flags
May 20, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
Report: Trump, Kushner Bank Transactions Raised Red Flags
Sources say Deutsche Bank decided not to inform feds of staff recommendations
- Transactions linked to President Trump and his son-in-law raised red flags in a Deutsche Bank computer system designed to detect money laundering in 2016 and 2017, but the bank decided not to act, reports the
New York Times
, citing "five current and former bank employees." The sources, including...
Hit With Charges
Feb 7, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Maria Butina's US Boyfriend Hit With Charges
GOP fundraiser Paul Erickson pleads not guilty to wire fraud, money laundering
- The US boyfriend of Russian spy Maria Butina is facing charges of his own. Conservative political operative Paul Erickson pleaded not guilty Tuesday to 11 counts of wire fraud and money laundering, which "appear largely unrelated" to the conspiracy to influence the 2016 presidential race, reports CNN . For now,...
Trump: Schiff Has No Right
Feb 6, 2019 5:50 PM CST
Trump: Schiff Has No Right
The president fires back at Rep. Adam Schiff
- "Under what basis would he do that?" So asked President Trump after learning Wednesday that Rep. Adam Schiff, as head of the House Intelligence Committee, is leading a probe into the president's finances. "He has no basis to do that," added Trump, per Reuters . "He'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.