Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Couple Allegedly Stole $5M to
Prep for 'Fall of US Government'
Jan 23, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Couple Allegedly Stole $5M to Prep for 'Fall of US Government'
Florida pair face up to 30 years in prison if convicted
- A Florida couple is accused of stealing $5 million allegedly used to prepare "for the fall of the US government." An arrest warrant states Gretchen Camp of Jacksonville admitted to stealing from Swisher International, where she worked as a tax manager, partly because her unemployed husband "wanted...
US Woman Could Get
Life for Jamaica Lottery Scam
Dec 17, 2018 1:03 AM CST
US Woman Could Get Life for Jamaica Lottery Scam
'Her hands were all over the conspiracy'
- A federal judge in North Dakota on Monday ordered a Rhode Island woman convicted of funneling lottery scam money between the US and Jamaica to remain jailed pending a February sentencing hearing where she could face a stiffer sentence than the alleged mastermind, the AP reports. "Her hands were...
Cops Find Evidence of
Money Laundering in
Most Obvious Place
Nov 23, 2018 2:19 PM CST
Cops Find Evidence of Money Laundering in Most Obvious Place
Suspect busted after authorities in Amsterdam find $400K in cash crammed into washing machine
- Maybe someone figured that a washing machine would be the last literal place that cops would check when sussing out a money-laundering scheme, but that someone may have placed the wrong bet. The AP and CNN report a 24-year-old man has been arrested in the Netherlands after police descended on...
School Gets Email Seeking
$9M—and Sends It
Oct 20, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
School Gets Email Seeking $9M—and Sends It
Phishing scheme fools MacEwan University in Canada
- How do you get millions from a Canadian university? Just ask, apparently. A fraudster emailed MacEwan University in 2017 seeking roughly $9 million (USD) and the school sent it right off, the
reports. To be fair, the Edmonton school was busy constructing a $137 million building featuring dance...
He Had $31M
but Didn't Know It.
It's Made His Life Awful
Oct 5, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
He Had $31M but Didn't Know It. It's Made His Life Awful
The unlucky story of Muhammad Abdul Qadir
- Would your life be any different if someone told you $31 million once sat in your bank account (but wasn't yours) and isn't there anymore? For a Pakistani man, the answer is a resounding yes: He says his life had gotten worse. The
and Dawn have the...
Suspect in $4.3M Bank Theft
Had Elaborate Getaway: DOJ
Sep 27, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Suspect in $4.3M Bank Theft Had Elaborate Getaway: DOJ
Extradited Alaska man drove, flew, cabbed it, and took a bus all the way to Mexico
- Seven years after a bank in Alaska had more than $4 million lifted, the man suspected of stealing the money has been extradited back there—all the way from Mexico. A DOJ release reports that 33-year-old Gerardo "Gary" Adan Cazarez Valenzuela, who used to be the cash vault services...
Manafort's Right-Hand Man:
I Stole From Manafort, Too
Aug 7, 2018 2:01 AM CDT
Manafort's Right-Hand Man: I Stole From Manafort, Too
Rick Gates testifies against former partner
- The star prosecution witness in the financial fraud trial of Paul Manafort testified Monday that he concealed millions of dollars in foreign bank accounts on Manafort's behalf and falsified documents to help his former boss obtain millions of dollars more in bank loans. Rick Gates also admitted he embezzled...
Mexico's World Cup Captain
Blacklisted by US
Jun 19, 2018 12:43 PM CDT
Mexico's World Cup Captain Blacklisted by US
Accused of helping a drug lord, Rafael Marquez takes part in 5th tournament
- The captain of Mexico's World Cup squad became one of only three athletes to play in five World Cup tournaments on Sunday. But Rafael "Rafa" Marquez's substitution in a 1-0 win over defending champions Germany, per ESPN , wasn't to be applauded by all onlookers, including in...
In 2 Years, Trio Stole
$1.2M From Amazon
Jun 12, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
In 2 Years, Trio Stole $1.2M From Amazon
3 sentenced over fraud scheme involving 'hundreds' of accounts
- "To those who seek to exploit the convenience of online shopping through fraud, remember this case." That's the message from a chief prosecutor in Indiana who helped send three people to prison for a scheme that defrauded Amazon of $1.2 million. US Attorney Josh Minkler says...
Australia Outlaws Cash
for Purchases Over $7.5K
May 11, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Australia Outlaws Cash for Purchases Over $7.5K
It's the government's attempt to keep money laundering and tax evasion at bay
- Hoping to cripple organized crime and tamp down on tax evasion and money laundering, Australia has announced its latest tactic: not allowing cash purchases over $7,500 for goods and services. The
reports the new rule—which will require consumers to use a check or electronic service such...
Wraps Up '3-State
Guilty Plea Tour'
Apr 13, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Backpage CEO Wraps Up '3-State Guilty Plea Tour'
Carl Ferrer will testify against co-founders, face max of 5 years in Arizona
- A laundry list of high-level staffers at Backpage.com are facing money laundering and facilitating prostitution charges , with one top executive now agreeing to testify against the rest of them. Per the AP , CEO Carl Ferrer has struck a plea deal in which he'll admit guilt to state and...
Have to Return
Jun 16, 2017 6:53 AM CDT
DiCaprio May Have to Return Millions in Artwork
Feds are seizing assets related to Malaysian corruption
- The feds are in the midst of a complex money-laundering investigation tied to Malaysian financiers, but it's got some easy-to-understand ramifications: Leonardo DiCaprio has to return a Picasso and an old Oscar that once belonged to Marlon Brando. As Reuters reports, DiCaprio himself is not charged with any wrongdoing,...
Ex-Trump Campaign Chief
Accused of Hiding Payment
Mar 22, 2017 2:43 AM CDT
Ex-Trump Campaign Chief Accused of Hiding Payment
Ukraine lawmaker says he has found secret invoice
- Paul Manafort, the Trump campaign manager who stepped down last summer amid controversy over his ties to a pro-Russia party in Ukraine, is facing a fresh allegation of hiding secret payments. Ukraine lawmaker Serhiy Leshchenko has published a contract and invoice supposedly from Manafort, a former adviser to pro-Russia former...
Adult Section After
Jan 10, 2017 8:03 AM CST
Backpage Shuts Adult Section After Damning Report
Site is 'far more complicit in online sex trafficking' than previously known: report
- The founders and CEO of Backpage.com may have beat pimping charges , but their classified site hasn't escaped unscathed from claims that it benefited from prostitution and human trafficking. The site shuttered its adult section on Monday, claiming government censorship and "an assault on the First Amendment,"...
Authorities Find $20M
Hidden Under Mattress
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 8, 2017 5:32 PM CST
Authorities Find $20M Hidden Under Mattress
While investigating an international pyramid scheme
- You'd think that much cold, hard cash would make for an uncomfortable night's sleep. The AP reports a 28-year-old Brazilian man was arrested this week in Massachusetts after authorities found about $20 million hidden in a box spring. The arrest of Cleber Rene Rizerio Rocha is connected to...
and a Crazy Tale
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2016 9:03 AM CST
Gambler Meets Alleged Gangster, and a Crazy Tale Unfolds
Revealed is an interesting idea about how to launder money
- It's a money laundering tale that seems destined for Hollywood:
unspools the case against Owen Hanson, who went by O-Dog more than a decade ago when he was a member of the USC football team and as "Junior DeLuca" in his post-college days as the alleged...
Bitcoin's Not Real
Jul 26, 2016 12:40 PM CDT
Judge Dumps Laundering Charges, Says Bitcoin's Not Real
Virtual currency can't 'be hidden under a mattress like cash and gold bars': Miami judge
- Bitcoins may be valuable in tech circles, but to a judge in Miami-Dade County, the virtual money is nothing more than shadow currency. On Monday, Judge Teresa Mary Pooler discarded felony charges against website designer Michell Espinoza, who had been accused of transmitting and laundering $1,500 in bitcoins—an...
Feds: Laundered Cash
Wolf of Wall Street
Jul 21, 2016 1:10 AM CDT
Feds: Laundered Cash Financed
Wolf of Wall Street
DOJ accuses Malaysian officials of stealing $3.5B
- The financing of
The Wolf of Wall Street
was "a case of life imitating art," prosecutors say—with shady Malaysian officials standing in for Leonardo DiCaprio's stock-swindling character. On Wednesday, the Justice Department accused Malaysian officials of plundering more than $3.5 billion from the country's...
Mexico Arrests 'King Midas'
Mar 28, 2016 6:31 AM CDT
Mexico Arrests 'King Midas'
Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman's alleged money launderer is in police custody
- Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman needed someone to scrub all of his dirty drug money, and Mexican police say they arrested that man, known as "King Midas," while he was vacationing, the BBC reports. "Groups of elite federal police and the Mexican army arrested Juan Manuel Alvarez...
Former Feds Busted
for Boosting Bitcoins
Mar 30, 2015 1:56 PM CDT
Former Feds Busted for Boosting Bitcoins
Ex-DEA, Secret Service agents stole digital currency during Silk Road probe: report
- What do you do if you're a federal agent who's part of an undercover operation to bust up a booming black-market drug-dealing website? One thing you
usually do is skim a goodly portion of said site's digital currency into your pockets, but two former federal...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Female Soldier's Promotion Ceremony Took Lewd Turn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.