Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One of America's Best-Paid
CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Sep 22, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
'WSJ' reports that Kiwi Camara left CS Disco after alleged groping incident
- In July, Kiwi Camara made it onto a list of America's 10 highest-paid CEOs , with a 2022 compensation package higher than that of Apple's Tim Cook. But he abruptly resigned this month, giving up stock options that were worth around $110 million at one point. CS Disco, which...
Allowed to Keep
Working at Columbia
Sep 17, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
After Arrest, OB-GYN Was Allowed to Keep Working at Columbia
Robert Hadden got 20 years for abusing women, but it's Ivy League's role that's raising eyebrows
- In July, OB-GYN Robert Hadden was sentenced to 20 years behind bars after being convicted of federal sexual abuse charges, with hundreds of victims reportedly left in his wake. A disturbing new deep dive from ProPublica , however, reveals that the prison sentence came despite, not thanks to, Hadden's employer...
Not Everyone Was Happy
at Woody Allen Premiere
Sep 5, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Not Everyone Was Happy at Woody Allen Premiere
Protesters scuffled with cops, slammed organizers for featuring directors accused of sexual abuse
- There was chaos on the red carpet at the 80th Venice International Film Festival on Monday as protesters scuffled with police while shouting "Abusers!" and "No rape culture!" The Italian film festival is premiering new films by three directors accused of sexual misconduct: Woody Allen, Roman...
Lawmaker in Texas Resigns
Before He Can Be Expelled
May 9, 2023 5:48 AM CDT
Lawmaker in Texas Resigns Before He Can Be Expelled
GOP Rep. Bryan Slaton is accused of inappropriate sexual conduct with a 19-year-old
- A Republican Texas state lawmaker resigned Monday ahead of an expected vote to expel him after an investigation found he had inappropriate sexual conduct with a 19-year-old intern, per the AP . The resignation letter of Rep. Bryan Slaton, 45, did not address the allegations. “I look forward to spending...
Schlapp Accuser Named:
'I'm Not Going to Drop This'
Mar 9, 2023 8:36 AM CST
Schlapp Accuser Named: 'I'm Not Going to Drop This'
Ex-Herschel Walker aide Carlton Huffman, 39, alleges CPAC chair groped him during car ride
- Matt Schlapp just wrapped up this year's Conservative Political Action Conference, leaving him more time to contend with another large item on his plate: the $9.4 million sexual battery and defamation lawsuit brought by a former staffer for Herschel Walker's Senate campaign, who alleges the CPAC chair...
2 Years After
Feb 4, 2023 11:30 AM CST
2 Years After Sex Abuse Scandal, Armie Hammer Speaks
Actor denies criminal wrongdoing, but he says he's here to 'own my mistakes, take accountability'
- There hasn't been much word out of the Armie Hammer camp for nearly two years in the wake of sexual assault accusations that left him a Hollywood pariah . Now, the 36-year-old actor is speaking out in his first interview since the scandal, taking on the allegations and noting, "...
Cuba Gooding Jr. Hears His
Fate in Forcible Touching Case
Oct 14, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Cuba Gooding Jr. Hears His Fate in Forcible Touching Case
Accusers miffed actor won't be getting jail time, thanks to his compliance with plea agreement
- As the forcible touching case against Cuba Gooding Jr. faded to black Thursday with no jail time for the movie star, some of the dozens of women who've accused him of groping, unwanted kissing, and other inappropriate behavior criticized the outcome as a slap on the wrist—and a...
No. 4' in New
Is Known Name
Oct 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
'Jane Doe No. 4' in New Weinstein Trial Is Known Name
Jennifer Siebel Newsom, married to Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom, will testify
- Harvey Weinstein's trial kicked off Monday in Los Angeles, with the disgraced movie producer facing down 11 counts of sexual assault spurred by allegations from five women, in incidents said to have taken place between 2004 and 2013. One of those women, who will testify as "Jane Doe...
Is a 'Fact of Life'
in case you missed it
Sep 4, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
In Antarctica, Sexual Misconduct Is a 'Fact of Life'
National Science Foundation report: Sexual assault, harassment ongoing at US research bases
- Sexual misconduct is alive and well on all seven continents. That's one takeaway from a new report commissioned by the National Science Foundation that concentrates on such accounts coming in from the bottom of the Earth. It identified an "ongoing, continuing" issue of "sexual harassment, stalking, and...
Actor Charged After Fan Event
Aug 20, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Actor Charged After Fan Event
Gary Busey faces sexual misconduct counts in New Jersey
- Gary Busey faces several sexual misconduct counts after attending a fan event last weekend in New Jersey. Police said Saturday that they were called to Doubletree Hotel in Cherry Hill, a suburb of Philadelphia, where the actor was appearing at the Monster-Mania Convention,
reports. Busey, 78, was charged with...
Aug 19, 2022 9:17 AM CDT
Things Just Got Worse for Former Gravity CEO
A day after Dan Price resigned, a 'NYT' report details allegations of predatory behavior, rape
- If Dan Price's resignation Wednesday as CEO of Gravity Payments so he could fight "false accusations" seemed abrupt, what Axios is calling a "bombshell report" from the
New York Times
the next day fills in some of the blanks. It's authored by Karen Weise, who has...
NFL Says Deshaun
Watson Should Be
Jun 28, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
NFL Says Deshaun Watson Should Be Suspended
The decision will be made by the league's disciplinary officer
- The NFL has recommended an indefinite suspension of at least a year for Deshaun Watson, the Cleveland Browns QB embroiled in numerous sexual misconduct allegations. The announcement came ahead of a hearing in which former federal judge Sue L. Robinson—who serves as the NFL's disciplinary officer—will rule...
Rep. Tom Reed Calls It Quits
May 10, 2022 3:18 PM CDT
Rep. Tom Reed Calls It Quits
GOP lawmaker gave no reason,, but he was dogged by a sexual misconduct allegation
- New York Congressman Tom Reed is resigning, leaving office more than seven months before the end of his term. Reed said last year that he would not seek reelection after he was accused of sexual misconduct , but he announced in a speech on the floor of the US House that...
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial
Starts, With One Decision Made
May 9, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial Starts, With One Decision Made
Celebrity chef opts for judge to decide his fate, not a jury
- Celebrity chef Mario Batali has waived his right to a jury trial and is opting to have a judge decide his fate in his sexual misconduct trial in Boston. Batali confirmed the decision to Boston Municipal Court Justice James Stanton as the trial opened Monday morning, per the AP . In...
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Enters Guilty Plea
Apr 13, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Cuba Gooding Jr. Enters Guilty Plea
Actor accused of groping women will avoid prison sentence
: Actor Cuba Gooding Jr. pleaded guilty Wednesday in a deal with prosecutors to one count of forcible touching, avoiding prison time after being accused of groping three women. He admitted to the judge that he "kissed the waitress on her lips" without her consent at a New York...
Louis CK's Grammy Win
Sets Off a Backlash
Apr 4, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Louis CK's Grammy Win Sets Off a Backlash
'So much for cancel culture,' is a familiar refrain on social media
- One of the most notable Grammys doled out Sunday night went to a performer who was not there to collect it in person: Louis CK won for best comedy album five years after a sexual misconduct scandal rocked his career, reports NPR . The win was not part of the televised...
Team Welcomes Quarterback
Accused by 22 Women
Mar 25, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Team Welcomes Quarterback Accused by 22 Women
Deshaun Watson proclaims innocence after Texas grand juries declined to indict him
- Deshaun Watson maintained his innocence and strongly denied committing any sexual misconduct despite allegations made by 22 women against the Cleveland Browns' new starting quarterback. At his introductory news conference on Friday, Watson showed little emotion while saying he's done nothing illegal, the AP reports. "I've never...
Grand Jury: Texans QB Won't
Face Criminal Charges
Mar 12, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Grand Jury: Texans QB Won't Face Criminal Charges
Masseuses have sued Deshaun Watson over allegations of sex harassment, assault
Thanks to a grand jury decision this week, Deshaun Watson won't be indicted in Texas after lawsuits brought by nearly two dozen women who accuse him of harassment and sexual assault. ESPN reports that, for more than six hours on Friday, prosecutors from the Harris County DA's...
Liberty U Professor Arrested,
Accused of Abducting Student
Dec 4, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Liberty U Professor Arrested, Accused of Abducting Student
He's charged with sexual battery, too, as school faces lawsuit from 12 women
- A professor at the conservative Christian Liberty University in Virginia has been accused of abduction and sexual battery of a student. William Atwell, an associate professor of American Sign Language, was arrested on Nov. 20 in connection with an accusation of sexual battery on Sept. 15 and abduction on Nov....
In Interview Transcripts, a
'Pugilistic and Paranoid' Cuomo
Nov 11, 2021 6:43 AM CST
In Interview Transcripts, a 'Pugilistic and Paranoid' Cuomo
NY AG Letitia James releases transcripts from probe into sex harassment claims against ex-gov
- The 515-page transcript from an 11-hour interview with former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been released, and it shows an alternately defiant and aloof interviewee who denies the sexual harassment accusations against him. The documentation of the July 17 conversation between Cuomo and Joon Kim and Anne Clark, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.