Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
Man Who Carried Out 4
North Dakota Murders Gets Life
Dec 28, 2021 1:17 PM CST
Man Who Carried Out 4 North Dakota Murders Gets Life
Chad Isaak killed 4 at company that manages the mobile home park where he lived
The North Dakota man who murdered four people in a grisly act at a property management firm will spend the rest of his life in prison. Chad Isaak was on Tuesday sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole after being found guilty in August of the...
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
This Is the Best
State for Millennials
May 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Millennials
Washington offers a warm welcome if you're between the ages of 25 and 40
- Millennials end up in headlines quite a bit , and the latest one offers some guidance on where they might be able to live their best lives. WalletHub examined this demographic— generally defined as those born between 1981 and 1996, making them between 25 and 40 in 2021—and where they'...
As Judge Reads Verdict,
Convict Kills Himself
May 18, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
As Judge Reads Verdict, Convict Kills Himself
Jeffrey Sahl Ferris slit his throat in Fargo courtroom
- Upon learning that he would face a minimum of seven years in prison, a convicted man stood in federal court and slit his throat from ear to ear with a letter opener while the judge looked on, according to reports. The suicide occurred as a partial guilty verdict was being...
Tried to 'Run
People Over' at
May 7, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Cops: Woman Tried to 'Run People Over' at Ex's Funeral
Blair Whitten is accused of speeding through cemetery, driving over gravesites
- There are likely numerous contenders for the "Worst Ex-Girlfriend Ever" title, but a Minnesota woman may have just secured herself a place in the finals. Per court documents cited by the
Twin Cities Pioneer Press
, North Dakota police officers were alerted over the weekend by attendees of a graveside...
State Offers Free Vaccines
to Canadian Truckers
Apr 21, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
State Offers Free Vaccines to Canadian Truckers
'The US has got a lot of vaccines and Canada's got less,' North Dakota governor says
- With Canada's vaccination campaign lagging a long way behind the US, North Dakota has decided to step up and offer doses to its neighbors who cross the border for essential purposes. Up to 4,000 truck drivers from Manitoba will be offered COVID vaccines for free under a program...
Lawmakers Expel Colleague
for Pattern of Harassment
Mar 4, 2021 6:50 PM CST
Lawmakers Expel Colleague for Pattern of Harassment
Moving women away from him, North Dakota legislator says, punishes the women trying to do their job
- The North Dakota House on Thursday voted to expel a lawmaker accused of threatening and sexually harassing women at the Capitol, the first such expulsion in state history. Members voted 69-25 to expel Rep. Luke Simons, a Republican from Dickinson, for a pattern of behavior they said stretched back to...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for Women
Mar 1, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Women
Minnesota comes out on top, Mississippi is at the bottom
- Pay gaps, the minimum wage, the pandemic—all issues that affect women disproportionately, though there are some areas of the US that offer better opportunities for women than others. WalletHub tries to shake those locations out, looking at more than two dozen metrics in two main categories: women's economic...
10 Best States
Jan 25, 2021 1:00 PM CST
10 Best States for Retirement
Florida ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list
- If your golden years are approaching, or if early retirement is in the cards, where to decide to enjoy your post-work life can prove to be a challenge. WalletHub has tried to take some of the guesswork out of the process, examining nearly four dozen metrics in all 50 states,...
These States Are Safest
During the Pandemic
Jan 23, 2021 4:10 PM CST
These States Are Safest During the Pandemic
You'll fare best dealing with COVID in Alaska, worst in Arizona
- As the rollout of the various coronavirus vaccines continues, there's now a (still somewhat distant) light at the end of the pandemic tunnel. But with months to go before much of the population is vaccinated, it's important to keep up with safety and health guidelines, and to keep...
How North Dakota's COVID
Outbreak Became Worst in US
Nov 16, 2020 5:33 PM CST
How North Dakota's COVID Outbreak Became Worst in US
State underestimated the dangers before cases surged
- With coronavirus cases surging in almost every state, North Dakota ranks first in coronavirus cases and deaths per capita—and has for most of the last two months. Experts tell the
that the state's COVID outbreak became the worst in the nation after initial success controlling the...
Here Are the Most
Giving States in America
Nov 16, 2020 8:21 AM CST
Here Are the Most Giving States in America
People there come together to help others through charity, volunteerism
- Between charitable giving—last year, US donors ponied up nearly $450 billion for charity—and volunteerism, Americans keep opening up their wallets and their schedules to help those who are less fortunate. WalletHub wanted to see which states were especially benevolent, so it examined stats from all 50, looking at...
With Only 18
ICU Beds Open,
Nov 15, 2020 5:44 AM CST
With Only 18 ICU Beds Open, ND Issues Mask Mandate
As state's virus cases spike, Burgum says 'our situation has changed'
- After months of resisting ordering the people of North Dakota to wear masks and limit the size of gatherings, the state's Republican governor relented in an effort to stem a coronavirus surge that is among the worst in the US and that threatens to overwhelm the state's hospitals....
Why Many Midwestern Towns
Are Shrugging Off the Virus
Nov 14, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Why Many Midwestern Towns Are Shrugging Off the Virus
"If I get it, I get it. That's just how I feel'
- Danny Rice has a good sense of how dangerous the coronavirus can be. What puzzles him are the people who have curtailed so much of their lives to avoid being infected by the virus. "I'm not going out and looking to catch it," he told the AP...
Candidate Who Died
of COVID Wins Race
Nov 4, 2020 7:19 AM CST
Candidate Who Died of COVID Wins Race
It was too late to remove North Dakota's David Andahl from the ballot
- A Republican candidate for North Dakota's state legislature won on Tuesday—despite the fact that he died of COVID-19 last month. David Andahl won one of two seats awarded in the Bismarck-area district, Fox 9 reports. But the 55-year-old died Oct. 5 after a battle with the coronavirus; the...
State: Let's Use
$16M in Virus
Aid for Fracking
Oct 25, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
State: Let's Use $16M in Virus Aid for Fracking
North Dakota officials say it would create jobs, but critics are outraged
- North Dakota officials are hoping to use federal coronavirus funds for fracking grants—a move that has critics up in arms, the
Grand Forks Herald
reports. A state energy commission voted unanimously Friday to reallocate over $221 million in congressional virus aid to state agencies, including $16 million for fracking....
Near the Brink
Oct 21, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
COVID Highs Push Hospitals Near the Brink
'We'll run into some difficult decisions to make'
- Hospitals across the US are starting to buckle from a resurgence of COVID-19 cases, with several states setting records for the number of people hospitalized and leaders scrambling to find extra beds and staff, the AP reports. New highs in cases have been reported in states big and small—from...
Broken in 6 States
Oct 10, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
COVID Records Broken in 6 States
And across the world
- President Trump has said the coronavirus will soon disappear —but according to the latest numbers, "soon" isn't here yet. The World Health Organization announced that 350,766 new infections were counted Friday worldwide, beating the previous record from earlier this week by almost 12,000.
'Not a Surprise': 2 States
Lead in COVID-19 Growth
Sep 12, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
'Not a Surprise': 2 States Lead in COVID-19 Growth
South Dakota boasts a 17% positivity rate
- Coronavirus infections in the Dakotas are growing faster than anywhere else in the nation, fueling impassioned debates over masks and personal freedom after months in which the two states avoided the worst of the pandemic, the AP reports. The argument over masks raged this week in Brookings, South Dakota, as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.