Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bus Rolls Over,
May 22, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Bus Rolls Over, Injuring 27
15 are taken to hospitals after accident north of Baltimore
- Twenty-seven people suffered minor injuries Sunday after a bus crashed and rolled on I-95 north of Baltimore, according to the Baltimore County Fire Department. The crash occurred near Kingsville, Maryland, shortly before 7am, fire officials said in a statement. The vehicle was operated by megabus and was carrying 47 people....
Baltimore FD Suffers
a Devastating Day
Jan 25, 2022 5:31 AM CST
Baltimore FD Suffers a Devastating Day
3 firefighters killed when vacant home on fire collapsed
- Three Baltimore firefighters were killed and a fourth was injured when part of a vacant home collapsed while they were battling a blaze early Monday, the city's fire chief said. The Baltimore City Fire Department said in a tweet that firefighters were responding to a blaze at the three-story...
Dies After Ambush
in Her Patrol Car
Dec 29, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Baltimore Officer Dies After Ambush in Her Patrol Car
Keona Holley's family made difficult decision to remove her from life support
The Baltimore police officer ambushed in her patrol car Dec. 16 died last week, with her family making the difficult decision to remove life support a week after she was shot, ABC 17 reports. "Baltimore will never forget Officer Holley’s sacrifice and commitment to making a difference...
He Blamed Panhandler for
Killing Wife, but Lie Fell Apart
Dec 9, 2021 12:26 PM CST
He Blamed Panhandler for Killing Wife, but Lie Fell Apart
Keith Smith convicted of murder in Baltimore; daughter helped him concoct fake story
A Maryland man has been convicted of murdering his wife before trying to pin it on a panhandler. Keith Smith, 55, was found guilty Thursday of stabbing Jacquelyn Smith in 2018, reports the
. Smith told police a panhandler killed his wife while trying to steal her purse,...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Ex-Cop Kidnapped His Young
Daughters. All Ended Up Dead
Nov 19, 2021 6:41 AM CST
Ex-Cop Kidnapped His Young Daughters. All Ended Up Dead
Tragic ending to Maryland case
- A former Baltimore County Police officer allegedly attacked his ex-wife and kidnapped his young daughters Sunday, and as authorities closed in on them, the case came to a tragic end. Robert Vicosa, his alleged accomplice Tia Bynum, and 6- and 7-year-olds Giana and Aaminah Vicosa were found dead Thursday afternoon,...
He Witnessed a Murder,
Then Knowingly Lied on Stand
Oct 31, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
He Witnessed a Murder, Then Knowingly Lied on Stand
'New Yorker' follows up on case of trio who wrongfully spent 36 years behind bars
- The story made headlines a few years ago : Three men were freed from prison after serving 36 years for a Baltimore murder they didn't commit. At the
, Jennifer Gonnerman provides an in-depth look at what happened from a unique perspective—that of one of the young witnesses...
Widow Sues Funeral Home
Over Husband's Other Widow
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
Widow Sues Funeral Home Over Husband's Other Widow
It's all explained in a strange federal lawsuit against a Baltimore funeral home
report on a strange federal lawsuit begins with a doozy of a first sentence: "Demetra Street didn't know, as she sang at her husband Ivan's Baltimore funeral service in late January, that apparently he already had been buried days earlier and miles away,"...
Police: Woman Drove For Year
With Niece, Nephew in Trunk
Jul 31, 2021 1:07 PM CDT
Police: Woman Drove For Year With Niece, Nephew in Trunk
Baltimore County Police have charged her with abuse leading to their deaths
- Baltimore County police pulled over a woman for a traffic stop, and found the remains of two children in the trunk of the car. When police ran the driver’s tags and learned they were fake, they told her the car would be towed. That’s when the officer smelled...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
76-Year-Old Returned to Prison
After Missing Calls Goes Home
Jul 7, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
76-Year-Old Returned to Prison After Missing Calls Goes Home
Gwen Levi was at a word-processing class with her ringer off at the time
- A 76-year-old grandmother sent back to prison after attending a computer class is back to living life with a small amount of freedom. US District Judge Deborah C. Chasanow granted Gwen Levi a request for compassionate release Tuesday, saying "it would do little" to force the Baltimore resident to...
Court Rips Baltimore's
Jun 24, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Court Rips Baltimore's Aerial Surveillance
Program violated the Fourth Amendment, opinion says
- A federal court ruled Thursday that Baltimore's crime-fighting surveillance flights were unconstitutional and that police can't use any of the information gathered by the planes. The judges said the program violated the Fourth Amendment safeguard against illegal searches, the Verge reports. The planes' cameras were intended to record...
Horniest US City Has
Appropriately Hedonistic Name
Jun 2, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Horniest US City Has Appropriately Hedonistic Name
While Texas cities suffer from a lethargic libido
- It looks like Nevada's Paradise is aptly named, at least for those who are yearning for physical human contact after a long year of lockdowns. The city sits at the top of LawnStarter's list of America's "horniest" cities, published in advance of National Sex Day on...
15M Ruined Vaccines at
Plant Leads to J&J Takeover
Apr 5, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
15M Ruined Vaccines at Plant Leads to J&J Takeover
Johnson & Johnson will now oversee production at Baltimore facility that was making its doses
- An Emergent BioSolutions plant in Baltimore that had been tasked with churning out Johnson & Johnson vaccines has now earned the dubious honor of a takeover at the facility after about 15 million doses were ruined . Per CBS Baltimore , J&J announced Saturday it would be assuming "full responsibility"...
2 Vaccines Collided
at Plant Flagged by FDA
Apr 2, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
2 Vaccines Collided at Plant Flagged by FDA
15M doses of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine were ruined as a result
- The plant that lost up to 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's one-dose vaccine had something of a history of prior FDA violations. That's according to the AP and
, which obtained a copy of the FDA investigator's report from a year ago. It found...
2 Rescued From
Dec 23, 2020 1:25 PM CST
2 Rescued From Scaffolding After Explosion
Explosion injures more than 20 in Baltimore office building
- Two workers were pulled in through windows after an explosion at a high-rise office building in Baltimore on Wednesday left their scaffolding dangling 10 floors above the street. The explosion sparked a fire and a partial collapse of the building's roof, the
reports. The fire department said 21...
No One Was There—But
This Filly Scored a Big Win
Oct 3, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
No One Was There—But This Filly Scored a Big Win
Swiss Skydiver wins the 145th Preakness Stakes in an upset over Authentic
- Those hanging around the heavily restricted stakes barn at Pimlico Race Course this week joked around that Authentic would stare down filly Swiss Skydiver whenever she walked past, the AP reports. "He got a good look at her today," jockey Robby Albarado said. Swiss Skydiver added one final...
Deadly Explosion in Baltimore:
'It Knocked Me Across the Bed'
Aug 10, 2020 11:13 AM CDT
Deadly Explosion in Baltimore: 'It Knocked Me Across the Bed'
3 row homes leveled in gas explosion that kills one
- One woman is dead and three row homes have been destroyed by what's being described as a "major gas explosion" in northwest Baltimore. The
reports at least two others suffered serious injury, and another person remains trapped and is communicating with rescuers. The blast occurred minutes before...
These 11 Cities Receive
a COVID Warning
Jul 23, 2020 12:54 PM CDT
These 11 Cities Receive a COVID Warning
Dr. Birx is worried about Baltimore, Cleveland, and 9 others
- White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Deborah Birx is worried about 11 US cities in particular because of a surge in positive tests, according to a report by the Center for Public Integrity . Birx warned state and local leaders—the exact participants are unclear—in a private phone call...
Baltimore Protesters Toss
Columbus Statue in Harbor
Jul 5, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Baltimore Protesters Toss Columbus Statue in Harbor
'We’ve seen people who have taken to the streets, we have supported them,' says mayor's rep
- Baltimore protesters pulled down a statue of Christopher Columbus and threw it into the city's Inner Harbor on Saturday night. Demonstrators used ropes to topple the monument near the Little Italy neighborhood, reports the AP . Protesters mobilized by the death of George Floyd at the hands of police have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
19 Elementary School Students, 3 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.