Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest Uber news on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
NY AG: Uber, Lyft Cheated
Drivers, Will Pay $380M
Nov 2, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
NY AG: Uber, Lyft Cheated Drivers, Will Pay $380M
Settlement also gives drivers guaranteed sick pay, minimum hourly pay
- Uber and Lyft didn't admit fault in a settlement to resolve wage-theft claims in New York state—but they agreed to cough up $328 million to cover back pay and benefits for around 100,000 current and former drivers. New York Attorney General Letitia James said the settlement, $290...
No, I'm Not
Sep 25, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
De Niro: No, I'm Not Resurrecting Travis Bickle
Spokesperson denies report he brought 'Taxi Driver' role back to life for an Uber ad
- Film buffs might be able to exhale. A spokesperson for Robert De Niro denies a report that he resurrected his classic Travis Bickle character from
for an Uber commercial. The actor did make a spot for the ride-share company, but it has nothing to do with Bickle, who...
Cops: Woman's Note Saves
Her From Fake Uber Driver
Aug 27, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Cops: Woman's Note Saves Her From Fake Uber Driver
Police in Arizona are able to rescue her, arrest alleged kidnapper
- A woman in Arizona was abducted by a fake Uber driver but managed to save herself by passing a note to a customer at a gas station, say police. As
reports, the woman's ordeal began Monday morning when she got into a vehicle driven by a man...
Uber CEO's Reaction to Cost
of 3-Mile Ride: 'Oh My God'
in case you missed it
Aug 6, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Uber CEO's Reaction to Cost of 3-Mile Ride: 'Oh My God'
'Wired' writer shares conversation about the tab in new article
reporter Steven Levy fittingly took an Uber to the company's annual product event in May. It was a 2.95-mile ride from downtown New York City to the West Side, and the cost was "nuts," in Levy's telling. Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi seemingly agrees. In...
She Thought Uber Driver
Was Kidnapping Her, Shot Him
Jun 26, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
She Thought Uber Driver Was Kidnapping Her, Shot Him
Phoebe Copas is now charged with murder in Texas
- A Kentucky woman visiting her boyfriend in Texas is now charged with murder after police say she shot an Uber driver she wrongly feared was kidnapping her. According to a complaint affidavit cited by
, Daniel Piedra, 52, who'd started driving for Uber only...
Uber Suspends Diversity Chief
Over Diversity Event
May 22, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Uber Suspends Diversity Chief Over Diversity Event
Bo Young Lee goes on leave after 'Don't Call Me Karen' forum
- Uber has suspended one of its execs who was accused of being insensitive to diversity issues. The odd thing is that the exec had been in charge of making sure the company was sensitive to diversity issues. The
New York Times
reports that Bo Young Lee, the company's head...
15 Oddest Things Left
in an Uber in 2022
May 2, 2023 4:57 PM CDT
15 Oddest Things Left in an Uber in 2022
Americans are weird
- Uber is out with a series of factoids related to stuff left behind in vehicles by passengers. The most commonly forgotten items in 2022 are exactly what you'd think they'd be: Clothing, phones, backpacks and purses, wallets, and headphones make up the top five. A bit more...
Unions Lose on Uber, Lyft
Ruling: 'Our System Is Broken'
Mar 14, 2023 8:32 AM CDT
Unions Lose on Uber, Lyft Ruling: 'Our System Is Broken'
California appeals court says ride-hailing services don't have to treat drivers as employees
- App-based ride-hailing and delivery companies like Uber and Lyft can continue to treat their California drivers as independent contractors, a state appeals court ruled Monday, allowing the tech giants to bypass other state laws requiring worker protections and benefits. The ruling mostly upholds a voter-approved law, called Proposition 22, that...
Walgreens Cuts Deal
to Deliver Paxlovid to Homes
Dec 8, 2022 4:45 PM CST
Walgreens Cuts Deal to Deliver Paxlovid to Homes
Uber, DoorDash partner with chain, greatly expanding access for COVID-19 patients
- Walgreens announced Thursday that it has partnered with DoorDash and Uber to have Paxlovid, the oral antiviral therapy for COVID-19, delivered to homes. The company said that the new service will make the drug available to 92% of Americans, ABC News reports, and that its goal is to reach "...
Survey: Gig Drivers
in Denver Average
$5.49 an Hour
Nov 9, 2022 3:02 PM CST
Survey: Gig Drivers in Denver Average $5.49 an Hour
Pay comes in well under minimum wage, but companies contest the calculations
- The income of gig drivers in the Denver area is running well below minimum wage, a survey has found. Two advocacy groups, Colorado Jobs with Justice and Gig Workers Rising, queried hundreds of drivers for such platforms as Lyft, Uber, and DoorDash from last November through January, the
Uber Hacker Gained
Sep 17, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Uber Hacker Gained Admin Access
Experts lament Uber failures that allowed breach
- The ride-hailing service Uber said Friday that all its services were operational following what security professionals are calling a major data breach, claiming there was no evidence the hacker got access to sensitive user data. But the breach, apparently by a lone hacker, put the spotlight on an increasingly effective...
The Case of Uber's
Is a Divisive One
Sep 7, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
The Case of Uber's Ex-Security Chief Is a Divisive One
Joe Sullivan goes on trial this week
- Data breaches that put consumer data at risk have become commonplace; this suit involving one such breach is anything but. Uber's former security chief, Joe Sullivan, goes on trial this week in US District Court in San Francisco in what's thought to be the first time an executive...
This Uber Passenger's Ride
Was a Most Unusual One
Aug 20, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Uber Passenger's Ride Was a Most Unusual One
Driver Fritz Sam stopped car to help rescue people from Brooklyn house fire
- A Brooklyn writer headed to a conference in Vermont this week just barely made her flight, and she has her Uber driver to blame. But Jemimah James Wei is completely OK with the detour, since it came about because the driver, 54-year-old Fritz Sam, stopped to rush into a burning...
We 'Sold People a Lie'
Jul 11, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Uber Whistleblower: We 'Sold People a Lie'
Former chief lobbyist Mark MacGann says he wants to clear his conscience
- The man who leaked a huge quantity of Uber internal documents to the media has come forward, revealing that he was a key player in the company's aggressive efforts to establish itself in new countries. Mark MacGann, 52, was Uber's chief lobbyist in Europe in 2014 to 2015...
As Uber Expanded Worldwide,
It Had a 'Kill Switch'
Jul 11, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
As Uber Expanded Worldwide, It Had a 'Kill Switch'
'Switch' would block access of investigators to its servers, as revealed in the 'Uber Files'
- They're being called the "Uber Files." The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, a nonprofit network of investigative reporters, scoured internal Uber texts, emails, invoices, and other documents to deliver what it called “an unprecedented look into the ways Uber defied taxi laws and upended workers' rights....
Check Your Uber for
Tater Tots, Metal Legs, Slime
Jun 7, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
Check Your Uber for Tater Tots, Metal Legs, Slime
Those are just some of the odd items left behind in the company's vehicles last year
- If you've ever left something behind in a cab—or, these days, in a ride-hailing vehicle—you're not alone. It's not uncommon for drivers to discover the phones, keys, wallets, or purses that customers forgot in the back seat, especially in Austin, Texas, the most forgetful city...
A Decade-Long Uber
Strategy Comes to an End
May 23, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
'Investor-fueled subsidy' is going away, and prices will likely rise, per Slate analysis
- Those who use Uber and its rivals should prepare to open their wallets even wider, writes Henry Grabar in an assessment for Slate . The headline pretty much sums things up: "The Decade of Cheap Rides Is Over." Uber has been content to lose a lot of money since...
Uber Cuts Deal
With New York Taxis
Mar 24, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Uber Cuts Deal With New York Taxis
Company's app will list all city cabs
- Uber is short of drivers. Ride-sharing companies have cut into cabdrivers' income. An agreement that could ease both problems has been reached, allowing passengers in New York City to choose a cab when they order a ride on Uber's app, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. It's the first...
Allegedly Killed Her,
Uber Driver Pleaded:
'I Have 4 Kids'
Feb 21, 2022 3:16 AM CST
Before Passenger Allegedly Killed Her, Uber Driver Pleaded: 'I Have 4 Kids'
Calvin Crew charged in Pittsburgh murder
- During an attempted robbery by an armed passenger on the night of Feb. 10, Uber driver Christina Spicuzza was captured on dashcam video pleading for her life before her passenger eventually killed her, police say. Calvin Crew, 22, allegedly held a gun to Spicuzza's head as he had her...
Gig Driver Who Missed Car
Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Jan 6, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Gig Driver Who Missed Car Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Ali Badr is suing city of San Ramon, Calif., for excessive force after being pulled over by cops
- A gig driver badly mauled by a police dog is suing a San Francisco area suburb, alleging use of excessive force and violation of civil rights when police stopped him in December 2020 after he'd missed car rental payments, reports the AP . Dashboard and body-camera videos obtained by the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.