Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,124,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Huge Wimbledon Upset: 15-Year-Old Beats Venus Williams
The future is bright for Cori 'Coco' Gauff, Williams says
- Cori "Coco" Gauff was already, at 15, the youngest player of the Open era to advance to Wimbledon's main draw through qualifying rather than direct entry—and in her tournament debut Monday, the teen bested none other than five-time Wimbledon champ Venus Williams, CNN reports. Williams, who has...
After Routing Sister, Serena Praises a Fan in the Stands
She says everyone should be 'grateful and honored' for Colin Kaepernick
- Serena Williams kept booming big shots for winners, never allowing herself to feel sorry for the overmatched player on the other side. So what if it happened to be her big sister? The Williams sisters learned long ago in careers that have spanned 20 years and 30 meetings as professionals...
Highest-Paid Female Athletes Don't Come Close to the Men
3 male athletes each made more than top 10 women athletes' combined earnings for 2018
- A quick perusal of
list of the highest-earning female athletes of 2018 reveals why women were so upset with this male-dominated list . If all 10 combined their earnings, they wouldn't touch the highest-paid male athlete. Or the runner-up. Or the third-place finisher. As expected, Serena Williams leads the...
Thieves Steal $400K Worth of Stuff From Venus Williams' Home
Burglary happened while Williams was at US Open
- Burglars hit tennis star Venus Williams' Florida home, stealing $400,000 worth of goods while she was at the US Open, the AP reports. The burglary happened between Sept. 1 and Sept. 5 at Williams' 10,000-square-foot home, which is in a well-to-do gated community, Palm Beach Gardens police said...
Cops: Venus Williams Didn't Run Red Light
Video shows tennis star entered intersection legally moments before crash
- A new video shows Venus Williams legally entered an intersection but was cut off by another car moments before a fatal crash, reports
. Police in Palm Beach Gardens say footage captured by a security camera reveals the tennis star's Toyota SUV stops at a light at 1pm...
Venus Williams Granted Emergency Order in Crash Suit
Judge temporarily blocked inspection of car involved in the crash
- Venus Williams is set to take on Japan's Naomi Osaka at Wimbledon Friday, but she's already scored a tiny win in a different kind of court. A Palm Beach County judge on Wednesday granted an emergency request by Williams' attorney to temporarily block an inspection of a car...
Venus Williams Goes Speechless When Asked About Fatal Crash
Reporter brought it up during Wimbledon press conference
- Venus Williams broke down during a press conference Monday when she was asked about the fatal car crash she was involved in last month. ESPN has video of Williams' response during the press conference that followed her winning her opening match at Wimbledon. "There are really no words to...
Venus Williams Sued for Wrongful Death
Lawsuit accuses her of running red light, causing fatal car crash
- Venus Williams is being sued for wrongful death over the fatal car crash she was involved in earlier this month. A police report states Williams was at fault when she entered a Florida intersection June 9 and was T-boned by another vehicle that had the right of way; the couple...
Police Fault Venus Williams in Fatal Florida Car Crash
Though an investigation is ongoing
- Police say tennis star Venus Williams was at fault in a traffic accident that resulted in the death of a 78-year-old man, TMZ reports, citing a police report from the June 9 incident in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. According to ESPN , Williams told police she was trying to get through...
Serena Beats Venus for Record 23rd Major
Younger Williams sister regains top spot
- Serena Williams has won her record 23rd Grand Slam singles title, and her sister was right there on court to give her a congratulatory hug. The all-Williams final—the first at the Australian Open since Serena beat Venus in the first edition here in 2003—went to the younger sibling...
Australian Open Will Have an All-Williams Final
Serena says she will face her 'toughest opponent'
- Serena Williams is one win away from a record 23rd Grand Slam title after setting up an all-Williams final at the Australian Open. Now the only person standing in her way is her older sister, Venus. No. 2-ranked Serena Williams, a six-time Australian Open winner, overwhelmed Mirjana Lucic-Baroni 6-2, 6-1...
Rio Revenge? Russian Hackers Hit Medical Info of US Athletes
'What we're seeing here is a digital temper tantrum,'
- In what one analyst calls a "digital temper tantrum," hackers linked to the Russian government have hacked into the World Anti-Doping Agency's Olympic database and released information on star American athletes, including Serena and Venus Williams. WADA has confirmed the security breach, and the hacking group "...
Serena Williams Beats Her Sis, Moves Closer to Slam
A 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 victory
- If Serena Williams would feel sympathy for any opponent standing in the way of her pursuit of tennis's first true Grand Slam in 27 years, it might very well be her sister Venus. Still, no way was Serena going to let anyone, or anything, stop her on this night,...
Serena, Venus Stunned Early in French Open
They'd have met in the next round otherwise
- Instead of looking forward to playing each other this week at the French Open, Serena and Venus Williams will both be heading home early. The American sisters both lost to little-known opponents in the second round today. Serena, the defending French Open champion and a 17-time major winner, lost to...
Venus Williams Wins 1st Title in 2 Years
Injuries, illness have slowed 32-year-old
- Venus Williams won her first WTA tournament in more than two years, beating Monica Niculescu of Romania 6-2, 6-3 to take the Luxembourg Open title today. Slowed by injuries and illness for two seasons, Williams showed she still had the winning touch and played steady tennis while Niculescu proved error-prone...
Williams Sisters Once Again Win Gold
Meanwhile, Tiki Gelana of Ethiopia wins the women's marathon
- Tennis and running are set to be the big Olympic sports of the day, and the Williams sisters are the day's early stars. In a repeat of 2000 and 2008, Serena and Venus took the women's doubles gold, beating Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka of the Czech Republic...
Venus Loses Round 1 at Wimbledon
Her earliest exit since 1997
- Five-time champion Venus Williams lost in the opening round of Wimbledon for the first time since 1997, falling 6-1, 6-3 to Elena Vesnina of Russia. Williams lost the first five games and then saved two set points before making it 5-1. But she was broken for the fourth time in...
Venus Pulls Out of Aussie Open
Williams hopes to be back in action next month
- Venus Williams' struggle with the autoimmune disease Sjogren's syndrome has forced her to pull out of the year's first major tournament. The seven-time Grand Slam winner has announced that she's pulling out of the Australian Open, but she hopes to be back in action next month, the...
Autoimmune Disease Sidelines Venus Williams
Drops out of US Open because of Sjogren's Syndrome
- Venus Williams finally has a name for her biggest foe in tennis: Sjogren's syndrome. The 31-year-old abruptly withdrew from the US Open today, announcing that she has been diagnosed with Sjogren's, an autoimmune disease that causes fatigue and joint pain and can lead to longer-term problems. (More details...
Serena, Venus Eliminated at Wimbledon
Williams sisters each get rare exit before quarterfinals
- Venus and Serena Williams were both eliminated in the fourth round of Wimbledon today, the first time in five years that neither sister will play in the quarterfinals. Defending champ Serena was the first to go, beaten 6-3, 7-6 (6) by Marion Bartoli of France. It cuts short her return...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Had to Rescue Lost Singer on His Own Property
Experts Paint Eyes on Cow Butts—and It Works
Cops: Rape Suspect Freed for COVID Kills Accuser
10 Reactions to Biden Picking Kamala Harris
Trump: Biden Making a Mistake on VP
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.