Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
on North Carolina
Sep 23, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ophelia Lands on North Carolina
Tropical storm made landfall Saturday, with high winds, flooding expected there, Virginia, Maryland
- Tropical Storm Ophelia made landfall on the North Carolina coast early Saturday, and it's expected to bring damaging winds and dangerous surges of water, the US National Hurricane Center said, per the AP . The storm touched down near Emerald Isle at around 6:20am ET, with maximum sustained winds...
Lee Slams Into New England:
'We Have a Long Way to Go
Sep 16, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Lee Slams Into New England: 'We Have a Long Way to Go
Post-tropical cyclone has begun, bringing hurricane-force winds, dangerous surf, heavy rain
- Storm Lee toppled trees and cut power to tens of thousands Saturday as it began lashing New England and eastern Canada, threatening hurricane-force winds, dangerous surf, and torrential rains as its center spun closer. Severe conditions were predicted across parts of Massachusetts and Maine, and hurricane conditions could hit the...
Lee May Soon Become
Sep 6, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Lee May Soon Become 'Extremely Dangerous'
Tropical storm is set to evolve into a Category 4 or 5 hurricane by the weekend in the Caribbean
- At the moment, Lee is a mere tropical storm churning its way through the Atlantic. By later Wednesday, however, it could be upgraded to a hurricane, and by Friday, it's expected to transform into an "extremely dangerous" one, reports Axios . "There is high confidence that Lee will...
Hilary Brought Record
Rainfall to Death Valley
Aug 22, 2023 7:52 PM CDT
Hilary Brought Record Rainfall to Death Valley
Desert, mountain towns are digging out from the mud
- Crews in mountain and desert towns worked to clear away mud and debris Tuesday in the aftermath of the first tropical storm to hit Southern California in 84 years. The system was dissipating as it moved over the Rocky Mountains. Hilary shattered daily rain records in San Diego and dumped...
In the Middle of
a 5.1 Earthquake
Aug 21, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
In the Middle of California's Rare Tropical Storm, a 5.1 Earthquake
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hilary was drenching the southern part of the state
- Tropical Storm Hilary drenched Southern California from the coast to inland mountains and deserts Sunday evening, prompting rescues from swollen rivers and forcing some of the nation's largest school districts to cancel Monday classes. Millions braced for more flooding and mudslides, even as the storm began to weaken, the...
Hilary Makes Landfall,
Turns Toward San Diego
Aug 20, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Hilary Makes Landfall, Turns Toward San Diego
Parts of California could receive 3 inches of rain per hour
- Now a tropical storm, Hilary made landfall Sunday in a lightly populated area of Mexico's Baja California, downing power lines and sending torrents of water through streets. The eye was forecast to reach San Diego by 5pm local time before Hilary turns northeast, putting it on track to hit...
California Under Its First-Ever
Tropical Storm Watch
Aug 18, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
California Under Its First-Ever Tropical Storm Watch
Hilary is expected to drench the Southwest US in the coming days
- The summer of 2023 has logged another milestone in weather weirdness: Southern California is now under a tropical storm watch for the first time ever. The National Hurricane Center made the move Friday as Hurricane Hilary gathered strength off Mexico's Pacific coast. What's ahead:
The hurricane is expected
World Scout Jamboree
Just Got More Disastrous
Aug 7, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
World Scout Jamboree Just Got More Disastrous
After hundreds were sickened by intense heat, 36K kids will be evacuated ahead of a tropical storm
- South Korea will evacuate tens of thousands of scouts by bus from a coastal jamboree site as Tropical Storm Khanun looms, officials said Monday. As the AP reports, more than 1,000 vehicles will be used starting Tuesday morning to move 36,000 scouts—mostly teenagers—from the World Scout...
Rare June Hurricane Is Possible
Jun 20, 2023 12:22 PM CDT
Rare June Hurricane Is Possible
Warmer ocean temperatures in the Atlantic are a factor
- Tropical Storm Bret chugged toward the eastern Caribbean on Tuesday as forecasters warned it could strengthen into a rare June hurricane. Bret had maximum sustained winds of 40mph and was moving across the Atlantic Ocean at 17mph, per the AP . It's expected to strengthen into a hurricane in the...
Freddy Is Now
Cyclone on Record
Mar 7, 2023 3:04 PM CST
Freddy Is Now the Longest-Lived Cyclone on Record
31-day-old Indian Ocean storm is on course to make landfall for a third time
- Much like Freddy Krueger in the
Nightmare on Elm Street
movies, Cyclone Freddy keeps coming back when people think the threat has subsided. The storm in the Indian Ocean is now the longest-lived tropical cyclone on record, having tied with 1994's Hurricane-Typhoon John at 31 days, and is on...
Sep 25, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Canada Assesses Storm Damage
Long recovery will require efforts of thousands, officials say
- Hundreds of thousands of people in Atlantic Canada remained without power Sunday, and officials tried to assess the scope of devastation from former Hurricane Fiona, which swept away houses, stripped off roofs, and blocked roads across the country's Atlantic provinces. After surging north from the Caribbean, Fiona came ashore...
Off Texas Coast
Sep 13, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Tropical Storm Gains Strength Off Texas Coast
Nicholas could hit state as hurricane
- Tropical Storm Nicholas gathered strength Monday and threatened to blow ashore in Texas as a hurricane that could bring up to 20 inches of rain to parts of the Gulf Coast, including the same area hit by Hurricane Harvey in 2017 and storm-battered Louisiana. Nearly all of the state’s...
Tropical Storm Mindy
Makes Landfall in Florida
Sep 9, 2021 4:25 AM CDT
Tropical Storm Mindy Makes Landfall in Florida
National Hurricane Center says it could cause flooding in Florida, Georgia, SC
- Rain was pouring down on the Florida Panhandle as Tropical Storm Mindy made its way across the state early Thursday morning. The storm made landfall in St. Vincent Island on Wednesday night. Mindy was expected to cause as much as 6 inches of rainfall across the Florida Panhandle and portions...
'Ida Certainly Has the
Potential to Be Very Bad'
Aug 27, 2021 12:20 AM CDT
'Ida Certainly Has the Potential to Be Very Bad'
Louisiana declares emergency as tropical storm approaches
- Tropical Storm Ida prompted a hurricane watch for New Orleans and an emergency declaration for the state of Louisiana as it pushed across the Caribbean toward an anticipated strike on Cuba Friday. Ida could be near major hurricane strength by the time it reaches the northern Gulf Coast, which forecasters...
Tropical Storm to Quickly
Follow Haiti Earthquake
Aug 15, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Tropical Storm to Quickly Follow Haiti Earthquake
Grace likely to hit devastated island
- Even as rescuers and loved ones still search rubble for signs of life, Haitians are bracing for another disaster that could pile onto a death count that's already surpassed 300 in the aftermath of Saturday's earthquake . Per NBC News , Tropical Storm Grace looks likely to batter the ailing...
Jul 9, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Flooded Subways? NYC Commuters Trudge On
Videos show people wading in waist-deep water to get to trains after heavy rains bring flash floods
- New Yorkers are known to be a tough bunch who roll with whatever comes their way, and videos that have emerged as thunderstorms pummeled the city this week did nothing to dispel that impression. Per the
New York Times
, the city was slammed by heavy rains on Thursday, leading to...
Jul 7, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Weakened Elsa Makes Landfall in Florida
'Clearly, this could have been worse,' governor says
- A weakened Tropical Storm Elsa is making its way toward Georgia after making landfall in Florida—and while storm surge is still a worry, officials say the storm has not caused any deaths or major damage. Elsa made landfall in Taylor County, southeast of Tallahassee, around 11am with maximum sustained...
Elsa Could Hit
Florida as a Hurricane
Jul 6, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Elsa Could Hit Florida as a Hurricane
NHC says storm surge could hit Tampa area
- The National Hurricane Center says Tropical Storm Elsa is strengthening and could became a hurricane before making landfall along Florida’s Gulf coast early Wednesday. In addition to damaging winds and heavy rains, the the National Hurricane Center warned of life-threatening storm surges, flooding, and isolated tornadoes. A hurricane warning...
Condo Searchers Carry On
Through Rain, Wind
Jul 6, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Condo Searchers Carry On Through Rain, Wind
4 more bodies found, bringing total to 32
- The discovery of four more victims in the rubble of a collapsed Florida condominium building raised the death toll to 32, officials said Tuesday as a ramped-up search effort faced new threats from severe weather with Tropical Storm Elsa. Lightning forced rescuers to pause their work for two hours early...
Storm Warning Extended
as Elsa Nears Florida
Jul 5, 2021 1:44 PM CDT
Storm Warning Extended as Elsa Nears Florida
Storm expected to hit state's Gulf Coast
- Florida's Gulf Coast has been placed under a tropical storm warning, with forecasters warning that Tropical Storm Elsa is expected to impact the Florida Keys late Monday and move across or near the coast Tuesday and Wednesday. The warning has been extended as far north as the Tampa Bay...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.