Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heat' to Come
Aug 24, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
There's More 'Record-Breaking Heat' to Come
Temperatures will near 100 degrees in many cities before weekend brings relief for some
- Much of the country continues to bake under a heat dome, with more than 110 million people in 20 states under heat alerts as of Thursday. More than 81 million are under excessive heat warnings , including in New Orleans, Dallas, and Louisville. The National Weather Service expects "another day...
'Absolute Chaos' as Tornadoes
Rip Through Multiple States
Apr 1, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
'Absolute Chaos' as Tornadoes Rip Through Multiple States
At least 21 are dead as severe weather blasts through Illinois, Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma
- The scope of the destruction caused by what may have been dozens of tornadoes that swept through parts of the South and Midwest the day before became clearer late Saturday. Officials raised the death toll to 21, the AP reports; seven of the victims were killed in Tennessee's McNairy...
Mar 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Neb. Lawmaker Apologizes for Believing 'Ugly Rumor'
State Sen. Bruce Bostelman believed claim schools were putting out litter boxes for 'furry' students
- School custodians probably wouldn't want to add "empty litter boxes" to their daily to-do list, and luckily they don't have to—because students using litter boxes in school is not an actual thing. One Nebraska lawmaker is finally acknowledging that, and offering a public apology, after spreading...
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are
Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Jun 24, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Wildlife officials are trying to figure out what's afflicting hundreds of birds across US
- At the end of May, wildlife managers in the District of Columbia and multiple mid-Atlantic states started fielding reports about hundreds of sick and dying birds, afflicted with eye and nerve issues that couldn't be explained. Now, the mystery illness has spread to the South and Midwest, and scientists...
Midwest Starts Shoveling
Dec 29, 2020 4:58 PM CST
Midwest Starts Shoveling
'Travel conditions are likely to go downhill,' Iowa officials warn
- A strong winter storm began making its way across the Upper Midwest on Tuesday, creating treacherous travel conditions and spurring warnings urging people to stay off the roads. The National Weather Service issued winter storm warnings for parts of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Illinois, the AP...
Sep 6, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Fauci Issues Warning to 7 States
He says Labor Day could cause the coronavirus to spread
- Anthony Fauci has a message for the Midwest: Please be careful. America's top infectious disease expert says seven states with rising COVID-19 rates should take extra care this Labor Day weekend to avoid trouble in the fall, the
New York Post
reports. "There are several states that are...
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad
Mixes Across 8 States
Jun 27, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad Mixes Across 8 States
206 people have already tested positive
- Salad lovers, watch out: The FDA and the CDC are warning about an outbreak linked to certain salads sold at Jewel-Osco, Hy-Vee, and Walmart stores,
reports. Long story short, the stores are recalling garden-salad mixes made by a Fresh Express facility in Streamwood, Illinois, and other brands may...
70M Americans Face
Severe Weather Forecast
Mar 28, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
70M Americans Face Severe Weather Forecast
That could include tornadoes and hail
- Good thing Americans have nothing else to worry about—because severe storms that might include hail and tornadoes are forecast for a good swath of the country on Saturday, CNN reports. "Over 70 million Americans face the threat of severe weather today, with the greatest threat for a significant...
Headed Our Way
for the Holiday
Nov 22, 2019 1:32 PM CST
3 Storms Headed Our Way for the Holiday
Inclement weather could muck up travelers' plans during Thanksgiving week
- According to AAA , upward of 55 million Americans will be journeying away from home during Thanksgiving week—a normally busy time for travelers that looks like it will be compounded by three storms across the nation, reports
. AAA warns Wednesday afternoon will likely be the worst time to...
Warnings in at
Least 4 States
Apr 27, 2019 4:05 PM CDT
'Winter' Storm Warnings in at Least 4 States
Illinois-Wisconsin border expecting up to 8 inches of snow
- Winter storm warnings have been posted in at least four Midwestern states as spring pauses for a mix of rain and snow just days before the calendar turns to May, the AP reports. The Chicago White Sox scratched a Saturday baseball game with the Detroit Tigers as snow fell in...
Takes Farmer's Life
Mar 16, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Winter Flooding Takes Farmer's Life
And at least 2 other people are missing
- Authorities were using boats and large vehicles on Saturday to rescue and evacuate residents in parts of the Midwest where a recent deluge of rainwater and snowmelt was sent pouring over frozen ground, overwhelming creeks and rivers, and killing at least one person, the AP reports. Rescue efforts in eastern...
Among 8 Deaths
Linked to Polar Vortex
Jan 31, 2019 5:05 AM CST
Iowa Student Among 8 Deaths Linked to Polar Vortex
Brutal cold should start to lift Thursday
- The bitterly cold weather gripping much of the US has been linked to at least eight deaths, including that of an 18-year-old University of Iowa student. Campus police found pre-medicine major Gerard Belz unresponsive behind a building around 3am Wednesday, when the wind chill was -51 Fahrenheit; he died in...
Lights Up Midwest Skies
Feb 6, 2017 12:37 PM CST
'Blue-Green Fireball' Lights Up Midwest Skies
Meteor captured on dashcam could be seen in Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana
- If you happened to be up late after the Super Bowl (and also follow the National Weather Service Chicago's Twitter account), you would have gotten a sneak peek at the natural phenomenon that the rest of the world is now seeing. "Check out this INCREDIBLE video," the...
After Attempt to Save Bees,
a Superweed Thrives Instead
Dec 29, 2016 11:57 AM CST
After Attempt to Save Bees, a Superweed Thrives Instead
Pigweed inadvertently spread in seed mix, could take years to eradicate
- A herbicide-resistant weed strong enough to damage farm equipment has been spread on acres of conservation land in states like Ohio, Texas, Indiana, and Illinois under government programs, reports Illinois Farmer Today . Palmer amaranth, or pigweed—which the
Minneapolis Star Tribune
notes is "one of the most prolific and...
Apr 17, 2015 11:14 AM CDT
Dog Flu Spreading Through Midwest
Experts advise owners to keep their pups away from others
- First it was Illinois . Now the canine dog flu that has put Chicago-area owners and veterinarians on edge has also spread to Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio, per the AP , with more than 1,000 dogs in these Midwest states sickened, the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine reports. The...
Over Lack of
Jun 20, 2014 10:45 AM CDT
Velveeta Recalled Over Lack of Preservatives
Affected product is marked 021000611614
- If you buy your Velveeta at Walmart, read on: Kraft is recalling some 260 cases of the cheese product sent to Walmart stores because overly low levels of a preservative—that would be sorbic acid—could lead to spoiling and food-borne illness, the AP reports. The cases were shipped to...
Feb 25, 2014 10:00 AM CST
Bundle Up: Polar Vortex Returns for an Encore
Frigid weather just won't let up
- The wait for spring isn't getting any easier. The northern US is in for more Arctic chills, LiveScience reports. While it won't be the season's coldest weather in absolute terms, it could be the coldest compared to what's normal for this time of year, an expert...
2 Feet of Snow
Jan 3, 2014 7:58 AM CST
Hercules Rages On, Drops Nearly 2 Feet of Snow
Another 1,350 US flights have been cancelled today
- Winter storm Hercules continues to flex its muscles, dumping well over a foot of snow in places, sparking states of emergency, and bringing with it freezing temperatures and the threat of hypothermia. Experts warn that even shoveling your driveway can be dangerous. The latest:
It seems the warning of up
Winter Weather Hits ... Just About Everywhere in US
Dec 9, 2013 10:51 AM CST
Winter Weather Hits ... Just About Everywhere in US
Philadelphia gets a record 8 inches
- It's not often the whole US feels serious winter weather at once—but that's what's happened over the past few days, meteorologists say. "This literally spreads across the entire US, and we're 12 days from the official start of winter," one tells CNN . Yesterday,...
New in Factory Farming:
Exploding Poop Foam
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 19, 2013 6:03 PM CDT
New in Factory Farming: Exploding Poop Foam
One blast killed 1.5K hogs, but can be treated with an antibiotic
- The latest thing out of industrial agriculture isn't too appetizing: Burbling up from the manure pits beneath factory hog farms is an oozing substance that's charmingly being dubbed "poop foam"—and it's un-charmingly explosive, reports
. The ooze is wreaking havoc on large hog...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.