Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ocasio-Cortez Is Engaged
to Onetime Debate Foe
May 19, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Ocasio-Cortez Is Engaged to Onetime Debate Foe
Riley Roberts and lawmaker haven't planned wedding yet
- Reporters often ask officeholders to confirm or deny preliminary information, but this request wasn't about politics. Asked Thursday if she's engaged, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez didn't hedge. "Yep! It's true," she told Insider . Ocasio-Cortez also tweeted the confirmation, after a Hill photo showed an addition...
Mar 29, 2022 1:47 PM CDT
Progressives: Clarence Thomas Must Go
AOC among those raising the possibility of impeachment
- Clarence Thomas is back to his Supreme Court duties after a hospital stay , but if progressives have their way, his days on the court will be numbered. A number of lawmakers on the Democrats' left flank have raised the prospect of impeachment over the newly revealed texts of Ginni Thomas...
AOC Fires Back
Feb 20, 2022 8:01 AM CST
AOC Fires Back at 'Creep' Tucker Carlson
Fox host called Ocasio-Cortez an 'entitled white lady'
- Two of the most high-profile figures on the left and right are swinging at each other publicly. As the Hill reports, it involves Tucker Carlson of Fox News questioning the ethnic heritage of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and AOC firing back:
He said it was "absurd" AOC is considered
A Week After Vacation,
AOC Positive for COVID
Jan 10, 2022 2:29 AM CST
A Week After Vacation, AOC Positive for COVID
NY rep was spotted maskless at crowded Florida bar
- Add Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to the long list of lawmakers hit by COVID-19 infections in recent weeks. The New York congresswoman, who is fully vaccinated and got her booster shot in the fall, is currently experiencing mild symptoms related to a breakthrough case of COVID, her office announced Sunday. Three other...
AOC: We Shouldn't
Nov 22, 2021 5:29 PM CST
AOC: We Shouldn't 'Over-Promise and 'Under-Deliver'
She warns against infrastructure 'victory laps'
- President Biden has signe d the bipartisan infrastructure bill, and a $1.9 trillion social spending bill has passed the House —but Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez warns that her fellow Democrats should be careful about doing victory laps. The progressive Democrat says the base will be alienated and turnout at...
24th House Member
in History to Be Censured
Nov 17, 2021 4:26 PM CST
Gosar Becomes 24th House Member in History to Be Censured
Resolution passed 223-207, with 2 Republicans joining all Democrats
: The House of Representatives voted 223-207 Wednesday to censure Republican Rep. Paul Gosar for sharing an animated video that showed him killing Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with a sword. Gosar—the 24th House member to be censured in the chamber's history, and the first since 2010—stood in...
AOC Slams 'Creepy'
Gosar After Anime Video
Nov 9, 2021 8:30 AM CST
AOC Slams 'Creepy' Gosar After Anime Video
GOP lawmaker depicts himself killing her, attacking Biden with swords
- GOP Rep. Paul Gosar, a staunch ally of former President Trump, is no stranger to controversy . And the Arizona lawmaker is courting it anew with an anime video posted to Twitter and Instagram. Coverage:
You can watch it here . The two most controversial parts depict him killing Alexandria
AOC's Met Gala Dress
Has a Message
Sep 14, 2021 6:46 AM CDT
AOC's Met Gala Dress Has a Message
Congresswoman wore dress reading 'tax the rich' to Monday's high-society event
- The Met Gala red carpet was dotted with political messages, including from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Attending her first high-society Met Gala, where tickets reportedly cost $35,000, the New York congresswoman wore a floor-length white gown with the words "tax the rich" emblazoned on the back in red. "...
Bezos' Nod to
Does Not Go Over Well
Jul 21, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
Bezos' Nod to Amazon Workers Does Not Go Over Well
Space flight indulgence came as Amazon delivery drivers are without health insurance, critics say
- After his quick trip to space on Tuesday, Jeff Bezos had some people to thank. "I want to thank every Amazon employee, and every Amazon customer because you guys paid for all this," the world's richest man said at a news conference, per CBS News . That comment...
to Hold Up
May 20, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Sanders Tries to Hold Up Arms Sale to Israel
Senator wants a debate, at least, before the deal goes through
- On the same day that a cease-fire was announced in the Middle East, Sen. Bernie Sanders introduced a resolution to block a $735 million arms sale to Israel. "At a moment when US-made bombs are devastating Gaza, and killing women and children, we cannot simply let another huge arms...
Marjorie Taylor Greene
May 13, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Confronts AOC
Ocasio-Cortez later asks congressional leaders to make sure Congress remains safe
- Two of the most high-profile members of the House—one on the left, the other on the right—are the focus of a flurry of news coverage on Thursday. The headlines came after GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia confronted New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as the latter...
Cuomo Just Lost Support
of a Pivotal Group
Mar 12, 2021 12:43 PM CST
Cuomo Just Lost Support of a Pivotal Group
House Democrats from New York, including AOC, call for him to resign, but he refuses
- As the Democratic Party turned sharply against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and he faces growing allegations of sexual harassment , he insisted Friday he wouldn’t resign and castigated politicians calling for him to quit as “reckless and dangerous” and engaging in “cancel culture," per the AP...
Ted Cruz Jokes About Cancun,
Mocks Mask Rules, AOC
Feb 26, 2021 2:46 PM CST
Ted Cruz Jokes About Cancun, Mocks Mask Rules, AOC
Texas senator speaks at CPAC
- Lots of people made jokes about Ted Cruz's ill-advised trip to Cancun , and on Friday, Cruz joined them. “I gotta say, Orlando is awesome! It's not as nice as Cancun, but it's nice,” Cruz said at the opening of his speech before the Conservative Political...
'AOClied' Claim Deemed
False by Fact Check
Feb 5, 2021 12:57 AM CST
'AOClied' Claim Deemed False by Fact Check
Critics, supporters battle it out over Ocasio-Cortez's account of Capitol riot
- Critics of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez started circulating the hashtag #AOClied in response to the congresswoman's harrowing account of the Jan. 6 mob attack on the US Capitol—but it has now been taken over by pictures of animals. AOC supporters are backing her by using the hashtag when posting photos...
AOC: 'I Thought
Everything Was Over'
Feb 2, 2021 6:56 AM CST
AOC: 'I Thought Everything Was Over'
Congresswoman recounts Capitol attack, reveals she's a sexual assault survivor
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez revealed she is a sexual assault survivor Monday in a candid 90-minute discussion about the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, which left her fearing for her life . "I'm a survivor of sexual assault," an emotional AOC announced on Instagram Live, at times speaking to an...
GOP Congressman Wants to
Hear Ocasio-Cortez Apologize
Jan 29, 2021 6:13 AM CST
GOP Congressman Wants to Hear Ocasio-Cortez Apologize
Media Research Center wants her suspended from Twitter over Ted Cruz comment
- A Republican congressman is demanding Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez apologize for saying Sen. Ted Cruz almost had her killed. AOC clashed with Cruz on Twitter Thursday after he agreed with her suggestion that the Financial Services Committee investigate trading app Robinhood over GameStop-related restrictions . AOC said she wouldn't work with...
AOC Won't Work With Cruz:
'You Almost Had Me Murdered'
Jan 28, 2021 4:55 PM CST
AOC Won't Work With Cruz: 'You Almost Had Me Murdered'
'There's a lot of partisan anger and rage on the Democratic side,' senator says
- When Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted Thursday about individual investors being blocked from buying shares of certain companies by Robinhood, a trading app, many messages of support were posted. But one responder wasn't welcome at this party, Politico reports. Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas retweeted her post, which said...
People Take Issue
With Ted Cruz's
Jan 21, 2021 6:44 AM CST
People Take Issue With Ted Cruz's 'Paris' Tweet
Twitter users quick to point out Paris Agreement isn't about Paris
- Sen. Ted Cruz greeted the start of the Biden administration with a tweet that was critical of one of the president's initial moves: "By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he's more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs...
Bad News for
Jan 6, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Governor Has Bad News for Undocumented Workers on Vaccine
Nebraska's Pete Ricketts suggests undocumented meatpacking employees won't be eligible to get it
- Nebraska is where you'll find the bulk of the nation's meatpacking, so it makes sense that Nebraska is where the most coronavirus cases are popping up in meatpacking plants . What doesn't make sense to some are comments from the state's governor that suggest a portion of...
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
Even Students Didn't Like This Senior Prank: 'Not Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.