Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bernie Sanders 2020
Stories 1 - 20 |
The New York Presidential
Primary Is Back On
May 6, 2020 3:33 AM CDT
The New York Presidential Primary Is Back On
Judge restores it after pushback from Sanders, Yang
- The New York Democratic presidential primary must take place June 23 because canceling it would be unconstitutional and deprive withdrawn presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Andrew Yang of proper representation at the Democratic convention, a judge ruled Tuesday. US District Judge Analisa Torres in Manhattan ruled after lawyers for Sanders...
NY Decision an 'Outrage'
Apr 27, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Sanders Campaign: NY Decision an 'Outrage'
Primary cancellation called a 'blow to democracy'
- The New York Board of Election's decision to cancel the state's Democratic primary is an "outrage" and a "blow to American democracy," Bernie Sanders' campaign said Monday. Campaign senior advisor Jeff Weaver said in a statement that the Board of Elections is ignoring the fact...
New York Makes
Apr 27, 2020 12:45 PM CDT
New York Makes Unprecedented Primary Move
It has canceled the Democratic primary
- New York's Democratic presidential primary has been axed—making it the first state to make such a move. The two Democrats on the New York State Board of Elections said it wasn't worth the risk of spreading the coronavirus just to hold "essentially a beauty contest,"...
Explains His Exit
Apr 8, 2020 2:28 PM CDT
Bernie Sanders Explains His Exit
Trump gloats as senator makes way for Biden
- "I wish I could give you better news but I think you know the truth," Bernie Sanders told supporters Wednesday, announcing the end of his White House bid. The senator acknowledged that he is 300 delegates behind Joe Biden, making victory "virtually impossible," CNN reports. He...
Bernie Sanders Ends
His Bid for the Presidency
Apr 8, 2020 10:32 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Ends His Bid for the Presidency
Leaving Joe Biden the likely nominee
- Bernie Sanders, who saw his once strong lead in the Democratic primary evaporate as the party's establishment swiftly lined up behind rival Joe Biden, ended his presidential bid on Wednesday. It's an acknowledgment that after wins in places like South Carolina, Michigan, and Florida, the former vice president...
Bill, but No
Mar 25, 2020 8:12 PM CDT
Biden Supports Bill, but No More Debates
Presidential candidate criticizes Trump's Easter goal
- Joe Biden said Wednesday he hopes the stimulus bill passes Congress quickly, adding that more spending will be required soon to overcome the economic damage done by the pandemic. "We're going to need new infrastructure going down the road here," the former vice president said. "And...
Bernie Sanders Isn't Quitting
Mar 25, 2020 8:35 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Isn't Quitting
Campaign says he'll be in next debate
- Bernie Sanders has been focusing on the coronavirus pandemic instead of the Democratic nomination—but he isn't ready to give up on the latter. His campaign says he will take part in the Democratic debate in April, if there is one, the
New York Times
reports. The last debate...
Calls It Quits
Mar 19, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Tulsi Gabbard Calls It Quits
Hawaii congresswoman drops out, endorses Joe Biden
- Tulsi Gabbard is out. The Hawaii congresswoman dropped from the 2020 race on Thursday and endorsed Joe Biden, reports
. Gabbard had barely been registering in the polls, and she had failed to qualify for any of the recent debates. She did, however, manage to win two delegates from...
Mar 18, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
Sanders: It's Time to 'Assess'
Candidate had another rough primary night, but isn't calling it quits
- After another rough primary night , Bernie Sanders will now "assess" the future of his 2020 run, his campaign manager said Wednesday. As Politico points out, the phrase is often trotted out by candidates on the brink of calling it quits. When Elizabeth Warren did so, for example, she bowed...
Sanders Under Pressure
After Biden's Triple Win
Mar 18, 2020 6:56 AM CDT
Sanders Under Pressure After Biden's Triple Win
Biden reaches out to Sanders supporters
- Joe Biden cruised to victory in all three states that held Democratic primaries Tuesday—but there were no triumphant rallies in Florida, Illinois, and Arizona for him to address. Instead, the former vice president, obeying federal guidance against gatherings of more than 10 people, addressed supporters from his home in...
It's a Clean Sweep
for Joe Biden
Mar 17, 2020 10:33 PM CDT
It's a Clean Sweep for Joe Biden
He takes Florida, Illinois, and Arizona
- Polls have closed in the three states that went ahead with their primaries Tuesday, and the result is another dominating night for Joe Biden. The former VP cemented his lead over Bernie Sanders in the delegate race by sweeping all three contests—Florida, Illinois, and Arizona, as called by the...
'11th Time Was the Charm'
at Biden-Sanders Debate
Mar 16, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
'11th Time Was the Charm' at Biden-Sanders Debate
Strong night may have sealed it for Biden
- Bernie Sanders needed a clear victory in Sunday night's debate to regain momentum in the race for the Democratic nomination. Most analysts say he didn't get one, despite some strong moments in his first head-to-head debate with Joe Biden. In a live audience-free debate overshadowed by the coronavirus...
Biden Commits to a
Female Running Mate
Mar 16, 2020 12:11 AM CDT
Biden Commits to a Female Running Mate
Sanders said he will do the same 'in all likelihood'
- In a debate dominated by discussion of the coronavirus outbreak , Joe Biden promised to pick a woman as his running mate if he becomes the Democratic nominee. "I commit that I will, in fact, pick a woman to be vice president," the former vice president said. "There...
Outbreak Looms Large
in Biden, Sanders Debate
Mar 15, 2020 8:13 PM CDT
Outbreak Looms Large in Biden, Sanders Debate
There is no live audience at first head-to-head clash
- Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are taking part in a very unusual Democratic debate: Because of the coronavirus crisis, there is no live studio audience at the debate, which was shifted from Phoenix to Washington DC. Before their first head-to-head matchup, the two candidates greeted each other by bumping elbows....
Nation's Largest Union
Makes Its Endorsement
Mar 15, 2020 5:31 AM CDT
Nation's Largest Union Makes Its Endorsement
NEA waits til late in the game, goes for Biden as 4 big states get ready to vote
- The nation’s largest labor union has lined up behind Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, with the National Education Association on Saturday endorsing the former vice president for the Democratic nomination over his last remaining primary rival Bernie Sanders. The NEA’s board of directors chose Biden following a recommendation...
'And Then There Were Two'
Mar 14, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
'And Then There Were Two'
Sunday's debate will feature only two candidates: Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden
- And then there were two. Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are set to meet Sunday night in their first one-to-one presidential primary debate after months of Democratic free-for-alls that presaged a dramatic culling of the field since the opening round of the 2020 race, the AP reports. Some key questions...
on Cuba Could
Cost Him Big
Mar 12, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Sanders' Remarks on Cuba Could Cost Him Big in Florida
Biden has advantage among various demographics, including Hispanics, ahead of Tuesday's primary
- Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign is struggling after Joe Biden's big wins in recent primaries, and another important state on the horizon also doesn't look particularly promising for the Vermont senator. Marc Caputo writes for Politico that after "Michigan broke Bernie Sanders' heart Tuesday, Florida looks ready to...
Sanders Explains His
Next Steps, Strategically
Mar 11, 2020 1:31 PM CDT
Sanders Explains His Next Steps, Strategically
He's staying in the race, but didn't attack Joe Biden
- Bernie Sanders may be down after his Tuesday night losses, but he's certainly not out. In Wednesday comments, the Democratic candidate said he was staying in the race and looking forward to his Sunday night one-on-one debate with Joe Biden. In what CNN describes as "unusually frank and...
Biden's Michigan Win Shows
Democrats Want One Thing
Mar 11, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Biden's Michigan Win Shows Democrats Want One Thing
And that should have Trump worried
- Much is being made of Joe Biden's Tuesday night win in Michigan—and, on the flip side, Bernie Sanders' loss there and what it means for the candidate. But there's another 2020 candidate who should be just as concerned by Biden's victory, say pundits: President Trump. A...
Biden Won After
Mar 11, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Biden Won After 'Suburban Surge'
Ex-VP racking up primary victories from suburbanites looking for a moderate
- Former Vice President Joe Biden has solidly taken front-runner status after Tuesday's primaries , and a big part of his more recent victories can be attributed to what the
calls a "suburban surge." The paper notes that voter turnout in Michigan especially saw a spike in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.