Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Pence, in NH Speech,
Addresses Capitol Riot
Jun 4, 2021 4:35 AM CDT
Pence, in NH Speech, Addresses Capitol Riot
Says he and Trump may never 'see eye to eye' on January 6
- Former VP Mike Pence on Thursday gave his most extensive thoughts yet on the Capitol riot, saying he and former president Donald Trump differ a bit in their feelings on what happened in DC January 6. Pence, during a speech at a Republican dinner in New Hampshire, said, "President...
May 1, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Indianapolis Honors Shooting Victims
Mayor assures members of Sikh community they're welcome in his city
- Indiana's governor told members of the Sikh community and others who gathered at a downtown Indianapolis football stadium Saturday to remember the eight people killed in a mass shooting at a FedEx warehouse that he knows their anguish is far from over. The three-hour event at Lucas Oil Stadium...
Mike Pence Speech
Stirs 2024 Speculation
Apr 30, 2021 5:08 AM CDT
Mike Pence Speech Stirs 2024 Speculation
He chose SC for first speech since leaving office
- In his first public address since the end of the Trump administration, former Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday put down a marker for a potential return to elected office, telling an audience in early-voting South Carolina that he will spend the coming months "pushing back on the liberal...
Won't Kowtow to
Staff and Cancel
Apr 21, 2021 12:57 PM CDT
Publisher Won't Kowtow to Staff and Cancel Pence Memoir
Simon & Schuster president says 'we will proceed'
- Some Simon & Schuster employees don't want to see their employer move ahead with its two-book deal with Mike Pence, but their consternation apparently won't get them anywhere. The
reports Simon & Schuster president Jonathan Karp replied to his staff's open letter calling for cancellation of...
Apr 15, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
Mike Pence Gets Pacemaker
Former VP had a slow heart rate
- Former VP Mike Pence is recovering from a Wednesday surgery in which he had a pacemaker installed, reports the
. The 61-year-old's office says Pence had been experiencing "symptoms associated with a slow heart rate" over the past two weeks, necessitating the procedure at Inova Fairfax Medical...
Apr 11, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
In Speech, Trump Calls McConnell a 'Loser'
Former president also says he's disappointed in Mike Pence
- It was supposed to be a unifying weekend for the Republican Party featuring former President Trump. Ahead of the invitation-only speech to top donors at Trump’s new home inside his Mar-a-Lago resort, the former president’s advisers said he would emphasize his commitment to his party. But Trump veered...
Pence Jumps Ahead
of Trump With 2-Book Deal
Apr 7, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Pence Jumps Ahead of Trump With 2-Book Deal
Publishers have been signing administration figures slowly
- Mike Pence has found work. The former vice president signed a deal Wednesday to write two books for Simon & Schuster, the first of which is due out in 2023,
reports. The publisher said readers can look forward to "the definitive book on one of the most...
Report Hints at Big Change
if Trump Runs in 2024
Mar 4, 2021 11:17 AM CST
Report Hints at Big Change if Trump Runs in 2024
Bloomberg reports former president is talking about ditching Mike Pence
- Donald Trump is dropping hints about a possible run in 2024, but he's not saying for sure. Now Bloomberg reports that while the president is "strongly considering" the possibility, he's also talking privately about finding a replacement for Mike Pence. The story is based on anonymous insiders...
Mar 3, 2021 2:20 PM CST
Mike Pence Emerges to Slam HR1
He repeats 'dubious' claims about 2020 election
- Mike Pence was rushed to safety on Jan. 6 as rioters, some of them chanting "Hang Mike Pence," invaded the Capitol. Now he's speaking out about the events of that day as part of a criticism of voting reform efforts. In his monthly column at the
Mourners Honor Chuck Yeager,
'Who Pushed the Boundaries'
Jan 15, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Mourners Honor Chuck Yeager, 'Who Pushed the Boundaries'
Pence leads tributes in West Virginia to famed test pilot
- Mourners including the vice president told stories Friday about one of the nation's most celebrated aviators, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager, an ace fighter pilot who went on to break the sound barrier as a test pilot. Yeager died last month at 97. "The best pilots...
Call Is First
Jan 15, 2021 1:40 PM CST
Call Is First Contact Between Presidential Campaigns
Mike Pence congratulates Kamala Harris
- More than two months after the election, the rival presidential campaigns have had their first direct contact with each other. VP Mike Pence called Kamala Harris to offer his congratulations and help, reports the Hill . However, President Trump has yet to call Joe Biden, notes the AP . By all accounts,...
Paper Has Harrowing Account
of Pence's Close Call
Jan 15, 2021 12:50 PM CST
Paper Has Harrowing Account of Pence's Close Call
Rioters missed him inside the Capitol by a matter of seconds
- We knew Secret Service escorted Mike Pence to safety during the siege on the Capitol. But not until this
report has it been clear just how close the rioters came to the vice president. As it turns out, they missed seeing him by a matter of seconds. As...
Jan 13, 2021 6:21 AM CST
House Approves 25th Amendment Resolution, Despite Pence's Refusal
Impeachment vote is next as end of Trump's term looms
- The House of Representatives on Tuesday night approved a resolution formally calling on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th amendment in order to remove President Trump from office, despite the fact that Pence already informed the legislative body he'll do no such thing . House Democrats will vote...
Pence Rules Out Removing
Trump With 25th Amendment
Jan 12, 2021 7:26 PM CST
Pence Rules Out Removing Trump With 25th Amendment
He says it shouldn't be used as 'a means of punishment'
- Vice President Mike Pence is ruling out invoking the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from power, less than a week after the president fomented the violent insurrection at the Capitol. In a letter late Tuesday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Pence said the mechanism should not be used "...
Awkward or Not,
Trump and Pence Meet
Jan 12, 2021 2:33 AM CST
Awkward or Not, Trump and Pence Meet
They discussed the past and the rest of their terms, administration official says
- For the first time since Vice President Mike Pence had to be spirited out of the House chamber and guarded in a more secure location, he met with President Trump on Monday evening. "The two had a good conversation" in the Oval Office, a senior administration official said. Trump...
Tried to Send Help for
a Futile 90 Minutes
Jan 8, 2021 7:35 AM CST
Maryland Governor Tried to Send Help for a Futile 90 Minutes
Larry Hogan says requests to send National Guard members were denied
- Maryland's Republican Gov. Larry Hogan said Thursday that he would support the resignation or removal from office of President Trump after early attempts to send his state's National Guard to Washington, DC, on Wednesday were denied. Hogan said federal defense officials repeatedly rejected offers to send help for...
Jan 7, 2021 4:02 PM CST
Decision on Inauguration Became Easier
Pence plans to attend, with or without Trump
- President Trump hasn't said yet whether he'll watch President-elect Joe Biden take the oath of office on Jan. 20. But Vice President Mike Pence plans to attend the inauguration, Politico reports. The outgoing vice president's presence would be intended as an endorsement of a peaceful transfer of...
Trump Slams Pence
for Lacking 'Courage'
Jan 6, 2021 1:55 PM CST
Trump Slams Pence for Lacking 'Courage'
VP said he didn't have authority to reject electoral college votes
- President Trump urged Vice President Pence to "come through for us" and reject Electoral College votes Wednesday—but his hopes were dashed before the joint session of Congress to certify the results began. In a statement issued just as he was to begin presiding over the session, the AP...
Republicans Object to
Arizona Tally, to Applause
Jan 6, 2021 1:22 PM CST
Republicans Object to Arizona Tally, to Applause
Proceedings were halted when protesters stormed Capitol
- The joint session of the House and Senate convened Wednesday to count the Electoral College votes, and within 15 minutes the first objection was logged: Republicans objected to election tally in Arizona to lengthy applause in the chamber, forcing votes in the House and Senate on Joe Biden's victory...
Mike Pence's Big Day
Gets Late-Night Preview
Jan 6, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Mike Pence's Big Day Gets Late-Night Preview
Jimmy Fallon says VP's role at election certification is glorified 'bingo caller'; others have own takes
- All eyes will be on Mike Pence on Wednesday, when the vice president will preside over a joint session of Congress to certify Joe Biden's election victory. With President Trump putting the squeeze on him to block that certification—which legal experts widely agree Pence doesn't have the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Actor Ray Liotta Is Dead at 67
Slain Teacher's Husband Dies 2 Days After Her
It Took Police 40 Minutes to Move in as Classroom Full of Kids Was Massacred
Near 2nd Texas School, 'They Saw Something, Said Something'
Almost Everyone Has Now Pulled Out of NRA Concert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.