Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Rejects New Trial
for Ghislaine Maxwell
Apr 1, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Judge Rejects New Trial for Ghislaine Maxwell
Defense argued the guilty verdict was tainted by the presence of a juror who had been abused
: Ghislaine Maxwell's bid for a new trial was rejected Friday, when a federal judge ruled that a juror she argued tainted the conviction was not biased. The juror said he hurried through a questionnaire, giving the wrong answer on whether he had ever been sexually abused. "Even...
Maxwell Requests Retrial,
Citing 'Juror No. 50'
Jan 20, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Maxwell Requests Retrial, Citing 'Juror No. 50'
If a juror lied on questionnaire about past sexual abuse, it could be a factor
Ghislaine Maxwell has requested a retrial following her conviction for crimes including sex trafficking of a minor . The request was made Thursday by a lawyer who requested that all submissions related to "Juror No. 50 remain under seal until the court rules," per the CBC . Two jurors...
Lawyer: Key Witness in
Prince Andrew Case Will Testify
Jan 18, 2022 2:17 PM CST
Lawyer: Key Witness in Prince Andrew Case Will Testify
Woman says she saw prince in London nightclub with Virginia Giuffre
- Yet more bad legal news for Prince Andrew: A woman who says she saw Prince Andrew in a London nightclub with a young girl believed to Virginia Giuffre is willing to testify in Giuffre's lawsuit against him, her lawyer says. Lisa Bloom tells the
that her client, Shukri...
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing
Identities of Men in Lawsuit
Jan 15, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
Judge sets sentencing for June 28, assuming no rulings stop it
- Ghislaine Maxwell no longer opposes the release of the names of eight men who might have been involved in sex trafficking by a court. Maxwell, the longtime associate of Jeffrey Epstein who was convicted on five counts last month in New York, had supported keeping the names secret. Maxwell changed...
Ruling Puts Prince Andrew
on Path to Civil Trial
Jan 12, 2022 4:23 PM CST
Ruling Puts Prince Andrew on Path to Civil Trial
Judge decides Giuffre's earlier settlement doesn't keep royal from being sued
- Britain's Prince Andrew has almost run out of possibilities for keeping Virginia Giuffre's sexual abuse lawsuit against him from going to trial. US District Judge Lewis Kaplan in New York on Wednesday turned down Andrew's request to dismiss the case because of the terms of a 2009...
Report: Maxwell's Husband
Dumped Her in 'Tense' Call
Jan 3, 2022 7:39 AM CST
Report: Maxwell's Husband Dumped Her in 'Tense' Call
Scott Borgerson's new paramour is said to be a yoga instructor
- Ghislaine Maxwell's guilty verdict following her sex trafficking trial isn't the only bad news she has apparently received of late. The
reports her husband, 40-something shipping magnate Scott Borgerson, "may have moved on" from his 60-year-old wife—but the
reports he definitely has, and...
Judge Says Case Against
Prince Andrew Can Continue
Jan 2, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Judge Says Case Against Prince Andrew Can Continue
Rejects argument regarding Virginia Giuffre's residency
- Prince Andrew’s effort to immediately block the progression of a lawsuit by a woman who says he sexually assaulted her when she was 17—on the grounds that she no longer lives in the US— was rejected by a federal judge as oral arguments were set to proceed Monday...
Now Maybe Maxwell
Wants to Cut a Deal
Dec 30, 2021 6:55 PM CST
Now Maybe Maxwell Wants to Cut a Deal
She'd have to turn over big names to win a reduced sentence, experts say
- Until her conviction Wednesday on sex trafficking charges, Ghislaine Maxwell didn't see a need to cooperate with investigators. Apparently confident of acquittal, she had told the court that "the government has not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt." Now that Maxwell is awaiting sentencing, legal analysts...
Dec 30, 2021 8:43 AM CST
BBC Apologizes Over Dershowitz Interview
He was brought on as legal analyst on Ghislaine Maxwell without reference to his ties to the case
- Like a lot of outlets, the BBC brought on legal analysts to discuss the guilty verdicts of Ghislaine Maxwell . Unlike a lot of outlets, the BBC invited attorney Alan Dershowitz to discuss the case—without disclosing Dershowitz's own deep ties to it, reports Mediaite . Not only was Dershowitz a...
Maxwell Verdict Called
a 'Towering Victory'
Dec 30, 2021 6:49 AM CST
Maxwell Verdict Called a 'Towering Victory'
Family says they have launched appeal
- Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on five out of six charges Wednesday, including the most serious, sex trafficking of a minor—and Sigrid McCawley, a lawyer for one of the four accusers who testified, called it a "towering victory" not just for the four, but "for the women...
Maxwell Verdict Is a Chance to
End Enabling of Rich Predators
Dec 29, 2021 7:00 PM CST
Maxwell Verdict Is a Chance to End Enabling of Rich Predators
The next move is up to the rest of us, Deborah Tuerkheimer writes
- Ghislaine Maxwell's conviction Wednesday was a milestone, Deborah Tuerkheimer writes in an opinion piece in the
New York Times
, a first during the #MeToo era. And while it demonstrates that those who enable criminals are subject to criminal prosecution themselves, it's only a step, she says. The nation'...
Ghislaine Maxwell Guilty
of Sex Trafficking
Dec 29, 2021 4:37 PM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell Guilty of Sex Trafficking
Jury found her guilty on 5 out of 6 charges
- A day after Judge Alison Nathan warned the jury in Ghislaine Maxwell's trial that there was a high risk they would end up in quarantine, they returned with a verdict: Guilty on all but one charge. Maxwell, who turned 60 on Christmas Day, was found guilty of sex trafficking...
Judge Pushes Maxwell Jurors
on COVID's 'Astronomical Spike'
Dec 28, 2021 1:42 PM CST
Judge Pushes Maxwell Jurors on COVID's 'Astronomical Spike'
Court wants to wrap up before anybody needs to quarantine
- Judge Alison Nathan has been urging the jury in Ghislaine Maxwell's sex trafficking trial to put in more time, suggesting adding a day of deliberations last week and longer hours this week. On Tuesday, she explained that the reason is COVID, Fox News reports. "We now face a...
As Jury Deliberates,
Ghislaine Maxwell Turns 60
Dec 26, 2021 6:30 AM CST
As Jury Deliberates, Ghislaine Maxwell Turns 60
British socialite is back in court Monday
- Ghislaine Maxwell reached her 60th birthday behind bars Saturday as she awaited the outcome of her sex trafficking trial. The British socialite is scheduled to return to a Manhattan courthouse Monday to await word from a jury entering its third full day of talks after hearing over two dozen witnesses...
Tell Judge They
Have Plans on
Dec 23, 2021 6:23 AM CST
Maxwell Jurors Tell Judge They Have Plans on Thursday
Jurors head home for Christmas without reaching a verdict; trial to resume Monday
- If Ghislaine Maxwell had hoped to receive closure on her legal fate before her 60th birthday, which falls on Christmas Day, that gift won't be coming. Still, the Jeffrey Epstein associate "looked happy" Wednesday upon finding out the jury in her sex trafficking trial hasn't yet reached...
Dec 17, 2021 5:36 PM CST
Defense Rests Without Testimony From Maxwell
Defendant tells judge prosecution hasn't proven its case
This file has been updated with the defense resting its case.
Ghislaine Maxwell's lawyers wrapped up their case Friday in her New York trial on charges that she helped Jeffrey Epstein recruit and sexually abuse underage girls. The jury did not hear from the defendant, the AP reports....
Final Witness Recounts Nude
Massage From Maxwell
Dec 11, 2021 7:31 AM CST
Final Witness Recounts Nude Massage From Maxwell
Prosecution rests, and defense begins next week
- Prosecutors rested their case against Ghislaine Maxwell on Friday much earlier than expected—it took 10 days instead of the expected four weeks, notes the BBC . Her defense team is expected to take no more than a few days after they begin their presentation next week. The big question is...
Epstein Accuser Says
Fondled Her at 14
Dec 8, 2021 2:13 AM CST
Epstein Accuser Says Ghislaine Maxwell Fondled Her at 14
Latest accuser to testify offers some of the most explicit descriptions yet
- One of Ghislaine Maxwell’s accusers testified Tuesday that she was just 14 years old when the British socialite had her undress, fondled her and told her she had a “great body” that financier Jeffrey Epstein would enjoy, the AP reports. The woman, who was identified only by her...
Said Epstein Needed
Sex 3 Times a Day: Accuser
Dec 7, 2021 12:28 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell Said Epstein Needed Sex 3 Times a Day: Accuser
Woman testifies about sex acts she says she was coerced into
- Another woman who accuses Jeffrey Epstein of sexual abuse testified in Ghislaine Maxwell's trial Monday, and recounted something Maxwell allegedly told her about the billionaire financier: "She said that he needed to have sex about three times a day," said the British woman, testifying under the pseudonym...
Testifies About What He Saw
Dec 3, 2021 9:46 AM CST
Epstein Employee Testifies About What He Saw
Juan Alessi recalls Ghislaine Maxwell's meeting with Victoria Giuffre
- The house manager of Jeffery Epstein's Palm Beach estate testified Thursday that he saw "many, many, many females" pass through during his tenure from 1991 to 2002, including at least two who looked to be 14 or 15: the accuser known as Jane and Virginia Giuffre, who claims...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Women Fell Hard for Him. Many Say It Cost Them
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.