Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Congresswoman Takes Heat
After Gesture During Vote
Mar 6, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Congresswoman Takes Heat After Gesture During Vote
Dem. Kyrsten Sinema voted no to minimum wage provision with an enthusiastic thumbs-down
- Bernie Sanders' attempt to attach a minimum wage provision to President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill failed on Friday , and a handful of Democrats helped secure its demise. Among them: Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who's now facing criticism from Democrats not just for her vote against...
Lawmaker Votes for Police
Reform, Immediately Regrets It
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Votes for Police Reform, Immediately Regrets It
GOP's Lance Gooden says he pressed the wrong button
- Rep. Lance Gooden voted for a police reform bill Wednesday night that bans chokeholds and certain no-knock warrants, among other measures—and he wants his constituents in Texas to know that he sincerely regrets the error. Gooden, the only Republican who voted to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing...
Speech on His
Vote, an Elector's
Dec 15, 2020 9:05 AM CST
After Powerful Speech on His Vote, an Elector's Emotional Reveal
Jack Arends of Washington state on his failing health: 'I was glad to do my duty'
- On Monday, Washington state's dozen electors all cast their votes for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris as the next president and vice president of the United States. One vote, however, proved a particularly emotional one. The
reports Jack Arends, a 64-year-old grassroots activist from Snohomish County, arrived...
Georgia Republicans Worried
About Trump's Message
Dec 1, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Georgia Republicans Worried About Trump's Message
They fear his claims of election fraud will depress GOP turnout in Senate runoffs
- President Trump's insistence that the election was rigged appears to be having an unintended effect in Georgia: Republicans are voicing concerns that his angry supporters won't turn out to vote in next month's two runoff races for the Senate because they see it as futile. Coverage:
New Trump Tweet
Continues His Theme
Nov 5, 2020 9:55 AM CST
New Trump Tweet Continues His Theme
'STOP THE COUNT,' he tweets, though counting continues in multiple states
- President Trump's first tweet of the day on Thursday continued a familiar theme. "STOP THE COUNT!" he wrote , a reference to his campaign's efforts to halt counting in Michigan and Pennsylvania. The counting continued, however, in those states and others yet to be called—Nevada, Georgia,...
This Pit Stop Wasn't in
Pregnant Woman's Birth Plan
Oct 30, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
This Pit Stop Wasn't in Pregnant Woman's Birth Plan
Florida woman in labor made husband stop so she could vote on their way to hospital
- "Florida Woman" definitely trumps "Florida Man"—at least in the case of a pregnant woman in Orange County who wasn't about to miss her chance to vote in this election. While some people have flown hundreds of miles to exercise their right to vote, this unidentified...
Senate Votes on
Oct 25, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Senate Votes on Advancing Barrett
A 51-48 vote moves Barrett toward final confirmation on the Supreme Court
- Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly Sunday to advance Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett toward final confirmation despite Democratic objections, just over a week before the presidential election, the AP reports. The vote was 51-48. Barrett's confirmation on Monday was hardly in doubt, with majority Republicans mostly united in support...
Big First for
Oct 22, 2020 12:26 PM CDT
Big First for
For first time in magazine's nearly 100-year history, cover doesn't say 'Time' at the top, but 'Vote'
- As long early-voting lines continue during an election already well underway, one magazine has put out what Mediaite calls a "very straightforward message" on the topic. On its latest cover ,
magazine features a picture of a person wearing a face mask, as well as a
Senate Panel Sets
Vote Date on Barrett
Oct 15, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Senate Panel Sets Vote Date on Barrett
Senate Judiciary Committee will vote on Oct. 22, before sending nomination to Senate floor
- The GOP is moving quickly in its plans to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, with the Senate Judiciary Committee officially setting a vote date of Oct. 22 for the panel, Politico reports. That would keep the Republican lawmakers' goal on track to have Barrett confirmed on the...
Sep 15, 2020 6:23 AM CDT
Chris Evans Reacts to Accidental Nude Selfie
Actor urges fans to 'VOTE'
- Chris Evans is hoping to use all this newfound attention for good—by urging people to vote. "Now that I have your attention," the
star tweeted late Monday, alongside face-palm and shrug emojis, adding "VOTE Nov 3rd!!!" The tweet was liked more than 719,...
Michelle Obama's Other Big
Message: It's in the Necklace
Aug 18, 2020 11:39 AM CDT
Michelle Obama's Other Big Message: It's in the Necklace
Her 'vote' necklace goes viral as she encourages people to turn out in person
- Michelle Obama took plenty of pointed jabs at President Trump Monday night, and he took notice . But another aspect of the former first lady's speech for the Democratic National Convention is generating lots of attention—and it involves her words and her necklace. Coverage:
He Was Suspended
Over Parkland, Is
Now Out for Good
Oct 24, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
He Was Suspended Over Parkland, Is Now Out for Good
State Senate in Florida votes to remove Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had already suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. Now the state Senate has removed Israel from his elected position for good. CNN reports on the 25-15 vote Wednesday that now makes Israel's removal official; it came nine months after DeSantis put Israel's job on...
Now in 2 States, a
for Dems Voting
Jul 8, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
Now in 2 States, a 'No-Excuse Option' for Dems Voting in Caucuses
DNC mandate in Iowa, Nevada aims to boost voter participation by allowing for phone voting
- Democrats in the early presidential contest states of Iowa and Nevada will be able to cast their votes over the telephone instead of showing up at their states' traditional neighborhood caucus meetings next February, per plans unveiled by the state parties. The tele-caucus systems, the result of a mandate from...
Anita Hill's Biden Answer
May Be Good News for Him
Jun 14, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Anita Hill's Biden Answer May Be Good News for Him
'Of course I could' vote for him, she says
- If there was one person you'd bet won't be sporting a "Vote for Biden" T-shirt during election season, it might be Anita Hill. After all, Hill didn't seem completely won over earlier this year when the former VP called her to express regret (but not to...
Lake Erie the Subject
of Unusual Ballot Question
Feb 19, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Lake Erie the Subject of Unusual Ballot Question
Residents of Toledo will vote on whether it deserves the same rights as a person
- Next week, residents of Toledo, Ohio, will vote on what the
New York Times
describes as one of the most unusual ballot questions ever to appear in the US—whether to grant Lake Erie the same rights as a human. Specifically, residents will vote on whether to accept the Lake...
Calgary Residents on 2026
Olympics: That's a Hard No
Nov 14, 2018 7:21 AM CST
Calgary Residents on 2026 Olympics: That's a Hard No
Vote was nonbinding, but it looks like city's bid will be nixed
- "Does Calgary really want the Winter Olympics? Does anyone?" That's the question posed by the
New York Times
on Monday, and it looks like the first question has just been answered. The AP reports that, in a nonbinding referendum held Tuesday, 56% of voters (more than 170,000...
Democrat Won't Concede
in Ohio Special Election
Aug 9, 2018 5:12 AM CDT
Democrat Won't Concede in Ohio Special Election
Republican rival's lead is shrinking
- President Trump has already congratulated the Republican candidate in a closely watched special congressional election in Ohio—but election officials say the race has actually tightened. Officials in Franklin County, where Republican Troy Balderson and Democrat Danny O'Connor are competing for a House seat, say they found 588 previously...
Unanimous Vote on Trump's
Hollywood Star: It Must Go
Aug 7, 2018 8:41 AM CDT
Unanimous Vote on Trump's Hollywood Star: It Must Go
But West Hollywood City Council resolution is nonbinding, and past stances suggest it will stay
- It's unanimous, at least in the West Hollywood City Council: The group voted Monday night to get rid of President Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, reports the Wrap . The resolution urges the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and the City of Los Angeles to remove the...
Conservative George Will's
Push: Vote Dems in Midterms
Jun 23, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
Conservative George Will's Push: Vote Dems in Midterms
Columnist rips on Paul Ryan, 'louts' Stephen Miller and Corey Lewandowski
- George Will quit the Republican Party two years ago due to Donald Trump's candidacy. Now the conservative columnist is pushing a new strategy: to topple the GOP in the midterms. In a
op-ed with the explicit title "Vote Against the GOP in November," Will cites...
Ireland to Hold Referendum
on Potty Mouth
Jun 14, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
Ireland to Hold Referendum on Potty Mouth
The country is holding a referendum to determine if the blasphemy passage should be deleted from the Constitution
- The Irish Constitution has a strict prohibition against potty mouth. “The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law,” says Article 40 of the country’s 1937 Constitution. And a 2009 Defamation Act made the act...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
Virginia Republicans Take Barnes & Noble to Court
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.