Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Candidate Just Found
Out Why Every Vote Counts
Dec 5, 2023 10:25 AM CST
This Candidate Just Found Out Why Every Vote Counts
Damion Green didn't cast ballot for himself in bid for City Council, ended up losing by one vote
- We've all heard since we were old enough to vote that "every vote counts," and it's a mantra that Damion Green won't soon forget. The 40-year-old auto body shop worker ran for City Council in his hometown of Rainier, Washington, in November, but when it...
What the Ohio Vote
on Abortion Means
Aug 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
What the Ohio Vote on Abortion Means
It appears to be trouble for the GOP strategy of leaving the issue up to the states, for now
- Ohio voters delivered a victory for abortion access on Tuesday, even if they didn't explicitly vote on abortion. Instead, they rejected a GOP-backed proposal (called Issue 1) that would have made it harder to amend the state's constitution. However, the vote was widely understood to be an attempt...
Apr 26, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Pope Approves 'Significant Crack in Stained-Glass Ceiling'
Women will have the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops
- Pope Francis has decided to give women the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops, and the AP reports that's a historic reform that reflects his hopes to give women greater decision-making responsibilities and laypeople more say in the life of the Catholic Church. Francis approved changes...
Final Results After Recount:
11,763 to 11,762
Dec 12, 2022 12:09 PM CST
Final Results After Recount: 11,763 to 11,762
State House race in Massachusetts flips to the Democrat by a single vote
- Another entry in the every-vote-counts lesson book: A recount in Massachusetts has decided a state House race for Democrat Kristin Kassner by a single vote, reports WGBH . The official tally: 11,763 to 11,762. Before the recount, Republican incumbent Lenny Mirra actually led by 10 votes, but Kassner made...
Pence Is Asked
Vote for Trump
Oct 20, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Pence Is Asked Whether He'd Vote for Trump
Former VP dodges the question with a joke
- Mike Pence spoke at Georgetown University on Wednesday night, and an audience member asked him a blunt question: If Donald Trump is the GOP nominee, will Pence vote for him? The former VP paused, then drew laughter with his response: "There might be somebody else I'd prefer more,...
Congresswoman Takes Heat
After Gesture During Vote
Mar 6, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Congresswoman Takes Heat After Gesture During Vote
Dem. Kyrsten Sinema voted no to minimum wage provision with an enthusiastic thumbs-down
- Bernie Sanders' attempt to attach a minimum wage provision to President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill failed on Friday , and a handful of Democrats helped secure its demise. Among them: Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who's now facing criticism from Democrats not just for her vote against...
Lawmaker Votes for Police
Reform, Immediately Regrets It
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Votes for Police Reform, Immediately Regrets It
GOP's Lance Gooden says he pressed the wrong button
- Rep. Lance Gooden voted for a police reform bill Wednesday night that bans chokeholds and certain no-knock warrants, among other measures—and he wants his constituents in Texas to know that he sincerely regrets the error. Gooden, the only Republican who voted to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing...
Speech on His
Vote, an Elector's
Dec 15, 2020 9:05 AM CST
After Powerful Speech on His Vote, an Elector's Emotional Reveal
Jack Arends of Washington state on his failing health: 'I was glad to do my duty'
- On Monday, Washington state's dozen electors all cast their votes for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris as the next president and vice president of the United States. One vote, however, proved a particularly emotional one. The
reports Jack Arends, a 64-year-old grassroots activist from Snohomish County, arrived...
Georgia Republicans Worried
About Trump's Message
Dec 1, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Georgia Republicans Worried About Trump's Message
They fear his claims of election fraud will depress GOP turnout in Senate runoffs
- President Trump's insistence that the election was rigged appears to be having an unintended effect in Georgia: Republicans are voicing concerns that his angry supporters won't turn out to vote in next month's two runoff races for the Senate because they see it as futile. Coverage:
New Trump Tweet
Continues His Theme
Nov 5, 2020 9:55 AM CST
New Trump Tweet Continues His Theme
'STOP THE COUNT,' he tweets, though counting continues in multiple states
- President Trump's first tweet of the day on Thursday continued a familiar theme. "STOP THE COUNT!" he wrote , a reference to his campaign's efforts to halt counting in Michigan and Pennsylvania. The counting continued, however, in those states and others yet to be called—Nevada, Georgia,...
This Pit Stop Wasn't in
Pregnant Woman's Birth Plan
Oct 30, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
This Pit Stop Wasn't in Pregnant Woman's Birth Plan
Florida woman in labor made husband stop so she could vote on their way to hospital
- "Florida Woman" definitely trumps "Florida Man"—at least in the case of a pregnant woman in Orange County who wasn't about to miss her chance to vote in this election. While some people have flown hundreds of miles to exercise their right to vote, this unidentified...
Senate Votes on
Oct 25, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Senate Votes on Advancing Barrett
A 51-48 vote moves Barrett toward final confirmation on the Supreme Court
- Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly Sunday to advance Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett toward final confirmation despite Democratic objections, just over a week before the presidential election, the AP reports. The vote was 51-48. Barrett's confirmation on Monday was hardly in doubt, with majority Republicans mostly united in support...
Big First for
Oct 22, 2020 12:26 PM CDT
Big First for
For first time in magazine's nearly 100-year history, cover doesn't say 'Time' at the top, but 'Vote'
- As long early-voting lines continue during an election already well underway, one magazine has put out what Mediaite calls a "very straightforward message" on the topic. On its latest cover ,
magazine features a picture of a person wearing a face mask, as well as a
Senate Panel Sets
Vote Date on Barrett
Oct 15, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Senate Panel Sets Vote Date on Barrett
Senate Judiciary Committee will vote on Oct. 22, before sending nomination to Senate floor
- The GOP is moving quickly in its plans to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, with the Senate Judiciary Committee officially setting a vote date of Oct. 22 for the panel, Politico reports. That would keep the Republican lawmakers' goal on track to have Barrett confirmed on the...
Sep 15, 2020 6:23 AM CDT
Chris Evans Reacts to Accidental Nude Selfie
Actor urges fans to 'VOTE'
- Chris Evans is hoping to use all this newfound attention for good—by urging people to vote. "Now that I have your attention," the
star tweeted late Monday, alongside face-palm and shrug emojis, adding "VOTE Nov 3rd!!!" The tweet was liked more than 719,...
Michelle Obama's Other Big
Message: It's in the Necklace
Aug 18, 2020 11:39 AM CDT
Michelle Obama's Other Big Message: It's in the Necklace
Her 'vote' necklace goes viral as she encourages people to turn out in person
- Michelle Obama took plenty of pointed jabs at President Trump Monday night, and he took notice . But another aspect of the former first lady's speech for the Democratic National Convention is generating lots of attention—and it involves her words and her necklace. Coverage:
He Was Suspended
Over Parkland, Is
Now Out for Good
Oct 24, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
He Was Suspended Over Parkland, Is Now Out for Good
State Senate in Florida votes to remove Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had already suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. Now the state Senate has removed Israel from his elected position for good. CNN reports on the 25-15 vote Wednesday that now makes Israel's removal official; it came nine months after DeSantis put Israel's job on...
Now in 2 States, a
for Dems Voting
Jul 8, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
Now in 2 States, a 'No-Excuse Option' for Dems Voting in Caucuses
DNC mandate in Iowa, Nevada aims to boost voter participation by allowing for phone voting
- Democrats in the early presidential contest states of Iowa and Nevada will be able to cast their votes over the telephone instead of showing up at their states' traditional neighborhood caucus meetings next February, per plans unveiled by the state parties. The tele-caucus systems, the result of a mandate from...
Anita Hill's Biden Answer
May Be Good News for Him
Jun 14, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Anita Hill's Biden Answer May Be Good News for Him
'Of course I could' vote for him, she says
- If there was one person you'd bet won't be sporting a "Vote for Biden" T-shirt during election season, it might be Anita Hill. After all, Hill didn't seem completely won over earlier this year when the former VP called her to express regret (but not to...
Lake Erie the Subject
of Unusual Ballot Question
Feb 19, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Lake Erie the Subject of Unusual Ballot Question
Residents of Toledo will vote on whether it deserves the same rights as a person
- Next week, residents of Toledo, Ohio, will vote on what the
New York Times
describes as one of the most unusual ballot questions ever to appear in the US—whether to grant Lake Erie the same rights as a human. Specifically, residents will vote on whether to accept the Lake...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.