Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Walt Disney Co.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Disney Relents After Players
Say They Want Their ESPN
Sep 7, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Disney Relents After Players Say They Want Their ESPN
US Open competitors were unable to watch their rivals play because of Disney-Charter lockout
- A lot of people complained when Disney cut off its ESPN programming from Charter Spectrum last week during a dispute over fees. But the company was listening when tennis stars such as Coco Gauff and Daniil Medvedev publicly objected to not being able to watch their rivals' matches at the...
ESPN Cuts Top Commentators
Jun 30, 2023 4:43 PM CDT
ESPN Cuts Top Commentators
NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy is among on-air employees laid off
- About 20 of ESPN's most prominent on-air commentators are being laid off as part of cutbacks by Disney, the network's owner. Those who lost their jobs include Jeff Van Gundy, Jalen Rose, Max Kellerman, Steve Young, Suzy Kolber, Keyshawn Johnson, Ashley Brewer, Todd McShay, and LaPhonso Ellis. "...
May 19, 2023 12:59 PM CDT
Editorial: We Hope Nation Is Watching
Newspaper blames governor for loss of huge Disney development, but not all agree
- Disney has pulled the plug on a $1 billion project in Florida, and most (but by no means all) see the company's ongoing feud with Gov. Ron DeSantis as the primary reason. That feud, of course, started last year when the company criticized the state education law that detractors...
$1B Office Plan
May 18, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Disney Cancels $1B Office Plan for Florida
Iger had suggested company could cut back during feud with DeSantis
- After CEO Bob Iger hinted last week that the company might do something like this, given what it sees as the hard time Gov. Ron DeSantis is giving it, Disney dropped its plans to build a $1 billion office complex in Florida. Josh D'Amaro, the head of theme parks,...
Apr 28, 2023 12:24 PM CDT
Did DeSantis Miscalculate Against Disney?
Even fellow Republicans are questioning his escalating fight against the company
- Now that Disney has fired back in a big way at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a common theme in coverage has emerged, one that questions whether DeSantis has taken on too big of a fight ahead of his expected entry into the 2024 race. He may well prove the naysayers...
Disney-DeSantis Feud Hits
Next Level: Disney Sues
Apr 26, 2023 12:16 PM CDT
Disney-DeSantis Feud Hits Next Level: Disney Sues
Entertainment giant alleges 'targeted campaign of government retaliation'
- The Disney-DeSantis feud just leveled up in a big way. The Walt Disney company filed a federal lawsuit against the Florida governor on Wednesday, alleging he waged a "targeted campaign of government retaliation" after the company opposed the so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill last year, reports CNBC...
Disney Has a Big
Surprise for DeSantis
Mar 30, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Disney Has a Big Surprise for DeSantis
Surprise language in 11th-hour deal effectively wrests power away from Florida governor's board
- Last month, Ron DeSantis declared himself the "new sheriff in town" at Disney World, after he hand-picked members for a board that oversees what was formerly known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the special tax district for Disney's Orlando-area theme parks. His move came amid a contentious...
Disney Has Another
Throwdown for DeSantis
Mar 22, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Disney Has Another Throwdown for DeSantis
Company to host major LGBTQ conference in September
- Ron DeSantis' very public battle with Walt Disney World continues, now with another move by the latter to support LGBTQ rights. Disney World will be hosting a major summit from Sept. 11-14 to help boost lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender rights in the workplace, with execs and team members from...
Too High at
Mar 11, 2023 4:05 PM CST
Disney Boss: Prices Got Too High at Theme Parks
But Disney+ should have cost more at rollout, Iger says
- The head of the Walt Disney Co. has conceded that theme park admission prices might have gotten a little out of hand—under his predecessor. "I always believed that Disney was a brand that needs to be accessible," Bob Iger said at a conference Thursday, Deadline reports. "...
Man Who Worked for Disney
Longer Than Anyone Has Died
Feb 28, 2023 12:27 PM CST
Man Who Worked for Disney Longer Than Anyone Has Died
Burny Mattinson was set to receive company's first 70-year service award
- Disney's longest-serving employee—an animator, writer, and director who worked on films ranging from 1955's
Lady and the Tramp
—has died. Burny Mattinson, described by CEO Bob Iger as a "legend" and "a true icon" of Disney Animation, died Monday at...
Feb 27, 2023 4:01 PM CST
DeSantis Takes Control Over Disney District
Florida governor moved against company after it objected to parental rights legislation
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday savored his victory over the Walt Disney Co., selecting new members of a governing board under legislation he sought after the company objected to a parental rights bill he favored last year. "Today, the corporate kingdom finally comes to an end," the...
Disney Is Cutting 7K Jobs
Feb 8, 2023 5:23 PM CST
Disney Is Cutting 7K Jobs
'I do not make this decision lightly,' Bob Iger says
- The Walt Disney Co. said Wednesday it will cut about 7,000 jobs as part of a "significant transformation" announced by CEO Bob Iger. The job cuts, which amount to about 3% of the company's global workforce, were announced Wednesday after Disney reported quarterly results that topped Wall...
Disney CEO Tells Staff
to Come in 4 Days a Week
Jan 9, 2023 4:09 PM CST
Disney CEO Tells Staff to Come in 4 Days a Week
Employees on hybrid schedule should spend more time in the office, Iger says
- Since returning to the CEO job in November, Bob Iger has said he's looking for ways to energize the Walt Disney Co. On Monday, employees were told that will involve a change in their schedules. Those working a hybrid schedule will have to show up in person at the...
Nearly a Century
Dec 13, 2022 1:08 PM CST
Disney Revives Character After Nearly a Century
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who preceded Mickey Mouse, stars in new animated short
- Mickey Mouse's rabbit forefather just came back from the Disney dead. Considered Walt Disney's "first breakout animated star," Oswald the Lucky Rabbit was first introduced to audiences in the 1927 short
. Disney went on to create 26 shorts starring the plucky rabbit...
At Disney, No More 'Fairy
Godmothers in Training'
Jul 22, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
At Disney, No More 'Fairy Godmothers in Training'
Theme parks will use the gender-neutral 'apprentice'
- Employees who help transform children through the magic of makeup and costumes into Disney characters at the company's theme parks will have a new job title, in an attempt to be more inclusive. The cast members at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutiques will be called "Fairy Godmother's Apprentices"...
Companies to Cover
Abortion Travel Expenses
Jun 24, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Companies to Cover Abortion Travel Expenses
Disney joins corporations helping employees receive services 'no matter where they live'
- The Walt Disney Co. on Friday joined a growing list of companies offering to pay travel expenses for employees seeking abortion services. Saying it realizes the effects of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Disney said it will cover travel costs for employees and their families...
Disney Plus Loses Cash Fast,
Even as It Adds Subscribers
May 12, 2022 6:47 PM CDT
Disney Plus Loses Cash Fast, Even as It Adds Subscribers
7.9 million customers sign up in the latest quarter
- Walt Disney Co.'s earnings report showed its streaming business has avoided the problems that have befallen Netflix and CNN+. Disney Plus signed up another 7.9 million subscribers during the first three months of 2022, the Verge reports. Among all of its streaming services, which include ESPN Plus...
Senator Moves to Strip
'Woke' Disney of Copyrights
May 11, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Senator Moves to Strip 'Woke' Disney of Copyrights
Josh Hawley wants to reduce protection term from 95 years to 56 years
- Sen. Josh Hawley has taken the Republican attacks on Disney to a new level: The senator introduced a bill Tuesday that would undo decades of copyright law for large corporations, retroactively stripping Disney of its rights to many characters, the Hill reports. In a press release, Hawley made it clear...
A Disney Heir Comes Out
Apr 11, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
A Disney Heir Comes Out as Transgender
Family launches effort to fight 'Don't Say Gay' bill and similar efforts
- An heir to the Walt Disney Co. has come out as transgender, announcing a family effort to support LGBTQ rights and oppose new legislation that threatens them. Charlee Disney came out publicly last month at the Human Rights Campaign's annual gala after coming out privately four years ago, NBC...
Developments to Provide
a Disney Lifestyle for Fans
Feb 16, 2022 4:47 PM CST
Developments to Provide a Disney Lifestyle for Fans
First project will be nearly 2K units in Rancho Mirage
- The Walt Disney Co. is getting back into developing housing communitites, giving fans a chance to "be part of Disney all of the time," an executive said Wednesday. The first project, Cotino, will be in Rancho Mirage, California, and include about 1,900 housing units,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.