Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Legacy of Old Lead Cables
Is Big New Headache for AT&T
Jul 18, 2023 9:59 AM CDT
Legacy of Old Lead Cables Is Big New Headache for AT&T
Shares plunging after a 'Wall Street Journal' investigation into the dangers
- One of the big business stories percolating over the last week involves plunging share prices at telecom companies in general and AT&T in particular. On Monday, for example, AT&T's stock fell another 7% to reach a 30-year low, reports Reuters . The culprit: A damning investigation by the...
That Cute Minnie Outfit
You Bought May Be
Chock-Full of Lead
Dec 3, 2022 9:30 AM CST
That Cute Minnie Outfit You Bought May Be Chock-Full of Lead
Bentex recalls 87K Disney-themed clothing sets sold on Amazon, in TJ Maxx
- A manufacturer of children's apparel has issued a recall of 87,000 Disney-themed outfits due to a risk of lead poisoning. The clothing sets made by Bentex—which feature characters such as Minnie Mouse, Baby Yoda, and Winnie the Pooh—were sold on Amazon and at TJ Maxx and...
Baby Foods Contain
Toxic Heavy Metals: Report
Feb 5, 2021 2:47 PM CST
Baby Foods Contain Toxic Heavy Metals: Report
House panel pushes FDA to set standards
- A House Oversight Committee report says alarming levels of toxic heavy metals—including arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury—have been found in major-label baby food products. The heavy metals can imperil infant neurological development in infants. The subcommittee's chairman expressed frustration with federal regulators, the
Ancient Ice Tells
of a Murderous
in case you missed it
Apr 4, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Ancient Ice Tells of a Murderous King's Struggles
Lead pollution sheds light on British turmoil in 12th century
- Scientists say they've found evidence of key moments in British medieval history, including the assassination of an archbishop, nearly 1,000 miles away in the Swiss Alps. There was no sword buried in the snow. Rather, scientists analyzed lead pollution in laser-carved slivers of ice, each representing a period...
Toxic Metals Found
in 95% of Baby Foods
Oct 18, 2019 3:40 AM CDT
Toxic Metals Found in 95% of Baby Foods
Contaminants hurt developing brains, researchers warn
- Toxic metals now banned in pesticides still linger in our soil and water—and they are present in a frightening proportion of baby foods, according to a new study. Researchers at the Healthy Babies Bright Futures Foundation say arsenic, lead, mercury, or cadmium were found in almost all of the...
Newark Borrows to
Hurry New Water Lines
Aug 26, 2019 6:25 PM CDT
Newark Borrows to Hurry New Water Lines
Officials decide not to wait for federal help with lead issue
- New Jersey's biggest city on Monday announced a plan to borrow $120 million to dramatically cut the time it will take to replace pipes causing elevated lead levels in drinking water. City, state, and county officials said the plan is expected to cut the time from 10 years to...
EPA Mandate to City: Hand
Out Bottled Water ASAP
Aug 12, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
EPA Mandate to City: Hand Out Bottled Water ASAP
In Newark, NJ, filters to keep lead out didn't work, leading to recommendation for bottled water
- In what the
New York Times
calls "an echo of Flint," a New Jersey city that's handed out nearly 40,000 filters to help protect residents whose water flows through old lead pipes now says those filters might not be working and is moving to Plan B....
Thieves Steal an Entire Roof
Oct 7, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Thieves Steal an Entire Roof
All Saints Church in Bedfordshire, England, copes with a major loss
- A church in England is reeling after thieves posing as tradesmen apparently stripped its lead roof bare, the Huffington Post reports. The brazen heist was spotted Tuesday when a cleaner saw daylight peeking through the roof of All Saints Church in Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire. Church officials say the thieves carted...
Boy Scouts Neckerchief
Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Neckerchief Sliders Recalled
About 110,000, due to lead content
- Part of the Boy Scout oath is to keep oneself physically strong, meaning Scouts should heed uniform-related news out of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: Fox News reports about 110,000 brass neckerchief sliders have been recalled due to lead content. "The colored enamel on the neckerchief slides contains...
Back-to-School Surprise for
Detroit: Dry Water Fountains
Sep 3, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
Back-to-School Surprise for Detroit: Dry Water Fountains
Lead, copper prompt 106 Detroit schools to shut off water; kids will drink from water coolers
- Some 50,000 Detroit public school students will start the school year Tuesday by drinking water from coolers, not fountains, after the discovery of elevated levels of lead or copper in the supply—the latest setback in a state already dealing with the consequences of contaminated tap water in Flint...
US Deaths Tied
to 'Ubiquitous but
410K a Year
Mar 13, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
US Deaths Tied to 'Ubiquitous but Insidious' Lead: 410K a Year
About 10 times higher than what researchers previously thought
- A study on "ubiquitous but insidious" lead exposure is being deemed a "big deal" after researchers found a link between lead exposure and the deaths of around a quarter-million Americans annually from heart disease. In what
says is the first study using a nationally representative sample...
Target Won't Take
'Not Safe' Fidget
Spinners Off Shelves
Nov 9, 2017 9:25 AM CST
Target Won't Take 'Not Safe' Fidget Spinners Off Shelves
US PIRG report says the toys have high lead levels; Target says they're not kids' products
- A maker of one of the hottest products of the year has just found itself in a bucket of hot water. According to a consumer advocacy group, two fidget spinners supplied to Target by Iowa-based Bulls-i-Toy contain lead at up to 330 times the federal legal limit for toys. Inspired...
CDC Mulling Lower Threshold
for Kid Lead Levels: Sources
Dec 30, 2016 1:29 PM CST
CDC Mulling Lower Threshold for Kid Lead Levels: Sources
But move is controversial, with critics saying money would be diverted from those who need it most
- For the past four years, kids under the age of 6 who had a 5-micrograms-per-deciliter blood lead level warranted a public health response. Now a handful of sources who've received word from the CDC say the agency may lower that level another 30%—down to 3.5 micrograms per...
Ind. Residents: We Were
Poisoned for Years
Sep 4, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
Ind. Residents: We Were Poisoned for Years
Complex soil tainted by lead, arsenic
- Residents of the West Calumet Housing Complex in East Chicago, Ind., remember having "mud fights" as kids, per the
. Today, the once-happy memory haunts them. The EPA recently revealed that the top six inches of soil surrounding the complex—built atop a former smelting operation—contains 30 times...
Mar 24, 2016 5:05 PM CDT
Our Favorite Chocolates Could Be Poisoning Us
Nonprofit finds illegal levels of lead, cadmium in multiple brands
- A California nonprofit is warning consumers that the Cadbury Creme Egg in their basket this Easter may be closer to a Leadbury Creme Egg. As You Sow tested 50 types of chocolates and found illegal levels of cadmium and/or lead in 70% of them, CBS San Francisco reports. A press...
Lead Levels in
State of Emergency
Dec 15, 2015 9:56 AM CST
Lead Levels in Michigan Kids' Blood Prompts State of Emergency
Flint mayor is worried about fallout from tainted water
- Flint, Mich., drew its water from the Flint River for about 18 months after ditching Detroit's water service—but that was enough time to cause lead levels in local kids to spike, which has now led the mayor to declare a state of emergency, Michigan Live reports. Mayor Karen...
May 2, 2013 12:05 PM CDT
Study Finds Carcinogens in Lipstick
Don't 'panic,' says study co-author, but maybe 'use it less'
- A new study of 32 popular lipsticks and lip glosses uncovered nine metals including lead, aluminum, chromium, and cadmium, some at levels that could be toxic, researchers say. The UC Berkeley study found that, in particular, average lipstick users (who apply lipstick an average of 2.3 times a day...
Eco Group: Disneyland
Exposes Kids to Lead
Oct 18, 2011 11:38 AM CDT
Eco Group: Disneyland Exposes Kids to Lead
Mateel Foundation seeking an injunction against Disney
- Beware riders of Mr Toad's Wild Ride: The Mateel Environmental Justice Foundation says it has found excessive lead in the brass door knobs at Minnie's House, stained glass windows in Cinderella's Castle, the handle of the Sword in Stone, and other items throughout Disneyland. The eco group...
Watchdog: Disney Bags
Have Too Much Lead
Jan 19, 2011 4:00 PM CST
Watchdog: Disney Bags Have Too Much Lead
Shopping bags exceed federal limit for kids, says group
- An environmental watchdog group says two versions of plastic Disney shopping bags go way over the federal limit for lead in kids' products. The Center for Environmental Health tested the reusable
bags sold by Safeway—the chain says the bags are no longer for sale—and...
Alarming Levels of
Lead Found in Glasses
Nov 22, 2010 8:57 AM CST
Alarming Levels of Lead Found in Glasses
Amount in enamel of Tin Man glass was 1,006 times federal limit
- In lab tests commissioned by the AP , alarming levels of lead and cadmium were found on the surface of drinking glasses made in China. These glasses—bearing images of comic book icons and characters from movies like the
Wizard of Oz
—were made for brands like Coca-Cola, Walt Disney, Burger...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.