Some numbers related to the Japan earthquake, from CNN and ABC:
- 8: Number of feet the coast of Japan moved eastward.
- 4: Number of inches the Earth's axis shifted.
- 160: Number of aftershocks in the first 24 hours, most of them with a magnitude of at least 5.0.
- 59 feet: How much tectonic plates slipped.
- 6 miles: How far inland some of the tsunami waves reached.
"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," a geophysicist with the US Geological Survey tells CNN. For information on how to help, click here. (Read more Japan earthquake stories.)