X

Chili's Serves Tequila to 3 Kids

Mom figured it out when 8-year-old complained about taste
By Tim Karan,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 8, 2011 2:00 PM CDT

(Newser) – Three kids in Colorado saw Fourth of July fireworks in a whole different light. A bartender at a Chili's restaurant accidentally served tequila to the children—ages 8, 6, and 1—before they went to a fireworks display, reports Huffington Post. Their mother ordered them a fruit smoothie to share, but when her 8-year-old complained about the taste, she discovered the alcohol. Police say the bartender—who says he feels terrible about the mishap—was overwhelmed on the busy night.

story continues below

Negligence charges could be forthcoming, and the family hasn't decided whether to press charges. The mom tells 9News she isn't sure her kids became intoxicated, but the 8-year-old passed out during the fireworks and the 6-year-old seemed "extra wild." This isn't the first time kids have been served booze at a family restaurant—a 15-month-old was served margarita at a Detroit Applebee's in April. (Read more tequila stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X