So you can't stomach the idea of drinking civet poop with your coffee? Well, just imagine coming to America for the first time and encountering … mayonnaise. Houston Press writer Katharine Shilcutt took a survey of her foreign-born friends and came up with 15 examples of Western food and food customs foreigners find bizarre:
- Biscuits and gravy: Hala from Lebanon calls them "gross and strange."
- Peanut butter: Natacha from Chile calls it "weird."
- Three warm meals each day: The idea "was odd to me," says Iris from Germany, particularly lunch: "To me, people were eating a dinner at 11 and then again a dinner later."
- Mayonnaise: "People put that on everything," says Pat from Mexico. "Yuck!"
- Cheese: Miya from China calls it "weird."
- Free refills: Iris' husband says that the first time she got a free refill after finishing a "giant iced tea," "her head exploded."
Click for the complete list
. (Read more food