In her second annual roundup of the Bush administration's most egregious legal arguments, Dahlia Lithwick of Slate offers her top 10 doozies:
- The United States does not torture
- State-secrets privilege used to shield almost anything.
- Almost anything Alberto Gonzales said.
- The nine US attorneys were fired for cause.
- Anyone who talks to the president is barred from congressional testimony by executive privilege.
- Waterboarding is not exactly torture.
- The Guantanamo Bay detainees enjoy more legal rights than any POWs in history.
- The vice president's office is not a part of the executive branch.
- Scooter Libby's sentence was commuted because it was excessive.
- The NSA's eavesdropping was limited in scope.
(Read more George W. Bush