Move to Save Fishing Industry Could Kill It

Cod fishermen say slashed Gulf of Maine quotas will spell doom
By Mark Russell,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 31, 2013 7:45 AM CST
Move to Save Fishing Industry Could Kill It
Commercial fishing boats sit idle in Portland Harbor in Portland, Maine on June 25, 2009. Fishery officials have voted to greatly limit cod catches in New England for the next three years.   (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty)

(Newser) – Faced with dangerously declining cod stocks, New England fisheries officials voted yesterday to massively cut cod quotas—down 77% from last year's catch for the next three years in the Gulf of Maine, and by 61% for the next year in Georges Bank, near Cape Cod, reports the New York Times. The new limit would reduce the cod catch to 1,550 metric tons in the Gulf, down from 8,000 tons a decade ago, and trim the industry from $80 million to an estimated $55 million.

“We are headed, slowly, seeming inexorably, to oblivion,” said a leading oceanographer on the fisheries panel. The cuts are deep, but officials say they're the result of decades of overfishing—today cod stocks in the Gulf of New England are just 18% of what scientists consider healthy. In Georges Bank, that figure is just 7%. But many fishermen say the cuts will drive them out of business. "I'm bankrupt. That's it," one fisherman told the AP. "I'm all done. The boat's going up for sale." Said another as he exited the vote, "I'm leaving here in a coffin." (Read more New England stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X