Some people might celebrate a lottery win by, say, buying a new car or taking a vacation. But that is entirely too mundane for a pair of as-yet unnamed brothers in Wichita, who scored a $75,000 win and decided to truly live it up on Friday and go for the Darwin Award while their luck was hot. It seems the pair bought a little celebratory marijuana and meth, and were settling in for a little quality family time when one went to refuel a butane torch—the better with which to light their bongs, notes the Wichita Eagle—and accidentally leaked butane into the air. “The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom,” says a Wichita police spokesman.
It gets better: The girlfriend of that brother—who, it should be noted, was wearing a lottery T-shirt at the time of the mishap—loaded him in the car, tenderly dropped him at the ER, and took off. Police responding to the scene found the relatively un-singed brother running out of the house. He admitted possessing the pot and meth, and was arrested. Singed brother is in stable condition with second-degree burns. (Read more strange stuff stories.)