Accidental OD Killed Ledger

Autopsy results cite combo of sleeping pills, painkillers, and anti-anxiety meds
By Polly Davis Doig,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 6, 2008 9:26 AM CST
Accidental OD Killed Ledger
Heath Ledger, right, and Michelle Williams arrive for the Australian premier of the movie "Brokeback Mountain" in Melbourne, Australia, in this Tuesday Jan. 10, 2006 file photo. (AP Photo/Steve Holland, file)   (Associated Press)

(Newser) – Actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of sleeping pills, painkillers, and anti-anxiety medication, the New York City Medical Examiner's Office ruled today. OxyContin, Valium, Xanax, Restoril, Unisom, and ibuprofen combined to result in a lethal "acute intoxication," an ME spokeswoman told the AP. 

The drugs were found in the 28-year-old actor's SoHo apartment when he died Jan. 22. Initial autopsy results proved inconclusive. Ledger's father, Kim, said today: "While no medications were taken in excess, the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication." (Read more Heath Ledger stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X