X

Tony Stewart Pulls Out of Race After Fatal Crash

Rep had earlier said it was 'business as usual'
By Polly Davis Doig,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 10, 2014 9:46 AM CDT
Tony Stewart Pulls Out of Race After Fatal Crash
The scene at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014, where driver Kevin Ward Jr. was killed after jumping onto the track to confront Tony Stewart.   (AP Photo/Logan Messerly)

(Newser) – Tony Stewart will withdraw from today's NASCAR race in Watkins Glen, reports the AP, in the wake of last night's fatal accident that killed 20-year-old driver Kevin Ward Jr. in Western New York. It's a reversal for Stewart, whose rep had earlier this morning confirmed he would race, calling it "business as usual." The director of Stewart's Stewart-Haas Racing team now says the driver "feels strongly" against competing in wake of the tragedy. Regan Smith will take Stewart's place. (Read more Tony Stewart stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X