Some bizarre traveling choices highlight this week's list of crazy crimes:
- HOV-Lane Stop Leads to Kidnapping Bust: If you're traveling in an SUV with two men you've allegedly kidnapped in the backseat, don't count them toward your HOV-lane total. After a 26-year-old New Jersey man was pulled over because an officer thought he was driving solo in a "high occupancy" lane, Luis A. Moreno, Jr., rolled down the rear window to prove he had two passengers. It could have been all good—except for what happened next.
- Bad Snow-Day Idea: Towing Kids in Sled Behind Truck: No matter how excited you are about the snow, you should not take a bunch of kids sledding via pickup truck. Michael W. Chauvin was arrested after Plainfield, Conn., police officers say they found him speeding down a snowy street in his Dodge Ram, with kids in the back bed—and more kids someplace even scarier.
- Cops: Woman Stole Cruiser, Fled at 80mph—in Cuffs: Roxanne Rimer really, really didn't want to go to jail after she was arrested for allegedly stealing earrings from a Pennsylvania Kohl's store. First, the 27-year-old gave a fake name and claimed to be a juvenile; she was eventually cuffed and placed in the back of a police cruiser while screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!" But that's when the story got really crazy—for quite the distance.
- What Not to Ask a Cop: When you're in need, it makes sense to go to the police. When you're in need of a weapon to shoot people you're mad at, not so much. Police in Boynton Beach, Fla., say 38-year-old Deondrae Hall shouted to an officer entering the station, "Hey, let me use your gun." Then he doubled down.
- Shoplifting Suspect Calls 911 on Himself: In the annals of misguided 911 calls comes this entry from Buford, Ga., where a shoplifting suspect managed to summon the police officers who arrested him. Two security officers at the local Walmart claim Alfonso Aguilar resisted their attempts to detain him then fled across the street to a Lowe's parking lot. There, he hid behind a truck and called 911 to report "two little thug guys." It didn't end so well for him.
Click for more weird crimes
. (Read more weird crimes