Bernie Sanders was nowhere near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library last night, but he still emerged as "one of the surprise stars" of the GOP debate, according to the Guardian. The Vermont senator covered the debate on his Twitter feed last night and came out with plenty of strong opinions before he decided at 10:30pm that he had "had it" and called it a night, NPR reports. Some highlights from the #DebateWithBernie live-tweeting:
- "Trump. What a pleasant and humble person. Can't stop saying kind and generous things about his fellow Republicans."
- "Rubio knows California has a drought. Will he have the courage to connect that to climate change or reject the science?"
- "Gee. How come these guys are not talking about the great 'success' of Bush's foreign policy and the war in Iraq?"
- "War, war, war. When do we get to their other major priority: tax breaks for billionaires?"
- "Does anyone on that stage believe the women of this country have the right to control their own bodies? Anyone?"
- "Okay. Let's vote for Reagan. Sounds better than any of these guys."
- "Does anyone know ... when will this debate finally end?"
(Earlier this week, Sanders managed to get applause from a crowd of conservative Christian students