80 Boston Students Sick After Eating at Chipotle

But this time, it doesn't appear to be E. coli
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Dec 8, 2015 1:14 PM CST
80 Boston Students Sick After Eating at Chipotle
People stand inside a closed Chipotle restaurant on Monday in the Cleveland Circle neighborhood of Boston.    (Steven Senne)

Chipotle's health headaches are growing: About 80 students from Boston College who ate at a local restaurant over the weekend have gotten sick, reports the AP. That total, which includes members of the men's basketball team, more than doubled from Monday's estimate. However, unlike an E. coli outbreak linked to Chipotle that has sickened more than 50 people in nine states, this appears to be something more ordinary—a norovirus. The best guess is that an employee was sick while working on Thursday, say city health officials. Test results on the students won't be out for a few days, and the store remains closed in the meantime as it gets disinfected. The bleak health news is taking a toll on the company's shares, notes Reuters. (More Chipotle stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.