It's Thursday, but it might as well be Kanye Day. The rapper unveiled both his new album—The Life of Pablo—and clothing line—Yeezus Season 3—during an event at Madison Square Gardens in New York City. The whole thing was livestreamed around the world. And, as with most things having to do with Kanye West, it was all the Internet was talking about. Here are five things you need to know about Kanye's day:
- It was huge. The Verge reports more than 20 million tried to watch the stream of the nearly two-hour event at one time. "The early viewership numbers are insane…There aren't many other musicians who could pull this off."
- Lamar Odom was there. It was the former NBA player's first public appearance since nearly dying following an overdose at a Nevada brothel in October, according to People. Odom continues to recover from his coma and sat with estranged wife Khloé Kardashian after entering with the rest of West's family.
- Kanye made a video game. The Verge reports it's called Only One and depicts his late mother "traveling through the gates of heaven," apparently alternating between her own set of wings and a pegasus. West says a lot of people turned down his pitch for the game.
- Martin Shkreli tried to steal his thunder. The legally troubled "pharma bro" offered West $10 million for The Life of Pablo, hoping to delay or prevent its release to the public, according to the New York Times. "Instead of releasing this product for your millions of fans, I ask you to sell this recording solely to me," Shkreli tweeted. "I believe you (and your partners) will find this financial arrangement more attractive than your current course of action."
- Kanye is still super quotable. Cosmopolitan lists 16 of the lyrical highlights from The Life of Pablo, including "I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why, I made that [expletive] famous" and—inevitably—"I love you like Kanye loves Kanye."
(Read more Kanye West